mugtang

UNLV Extends Sanchez

4 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

How UNLV put up 69 points in Wyomings best MWC year ever doesn't make sense, but you know. Stuff happens.

Yeah tough loss.  But back to recruiting.  Concerns over being out recruited by all MW teams?  SJ, USU, Hawaii.  Or not?  

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Yeah tough loss.  But back to recruiting.  Concerns over being out recruited by all MW teams?  SJ, USU, Hawaii.  Or not?  

Maybe...

The recruiting class was not heavily focused on skill position players.  The "ratings" may not be very telling. 

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Maybe...

The recruiting class was not heavily focused on skill position players.  The "ratings" may not be very telling. 

Recruiting rankings are an extremely stupid measure of a coaches success. He has Vegas fans believing he can right the ship...

On 2/1/2017 at 9:54 AM, SharkTanked said:

It really pains me that I am agreeing with both of these guys.

We always said the UNLV program isn't your typical re-build. Sanchez had to get a ton of work done off the field for results to show on the field. He has increased the pay for assistants, he has increased the training table, he has secured most of the funding for a desperately needed IPF, he has raised the APR which almost threatened a post-season ban under Hauck, players can now attend summer school (we couldn't even pay for that before). Is a lot of this stuff things that should have been done by the Athletic Department? Yes. The biggest challenge at UNLV is the lack of institutional competency at the top. Sanchez had to fix a lot of structural things before he can get the kind of players he needs to succeed. There is a reason we never recruited head to head against other MWC programs, and instead were battling NAU and Montana State for signees. Off the field, he has already done more than any other coach in our history.

He still hasn't filled out the whole roster the way he wants it. I honestly don't see a huge progression next year either, and I am not expecting one. We are going to be too reliant on a red-shirt QB who might not live up to the hype. Our defense is still going to be anemic. I see 4 wins likely, and maybe continuing the progression to get one more at 5. I don't see the depth of talent to expect a bowl before year 5, and if he doesn't get one then, there's a good chance he will be gone... and his replacement will have a laundry list of things to thank him for.

You've got to be kidding, right?  You really couldn't fund scholarships for summer school?  I didn't realize that.  I remember when Fairchild got CSU to fund scholarships for the whole team to attend summer school.  Previously we had some players in summer semester, but a lot were away from campus working summer jobs.  I thought we were behind the curve.  I didn't realize how much the cards were stacked against Sanchez.  Those voluntary off season workouts that are student run are so valuable to a teams development these days.  It helps a team develop, it gives the S&C staff and nutritionists year round access to all of the players, and it adds continuity to the program.  The only way to keep all the players on campus, is to have all the players attending class in the summer.  Just mind blowing that you didn't have that opportunity till now.  It will make a difference.

Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked, but it just surprises me that a D1 program is just now getting their summers involved.  About time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Didn't realize that lineman and linebackers don't get ranked. All is good in Vegas. 

it could very well be that if our two teams keep Harsin and Sanchez, by the time we play again in two years, unlv will beat boise.

just sayin...

3 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Didn't realize that lineman and linebackers don't get ranked. All is good in Vegas. 

They do get ranked but we all know once we get past the ones that are P5 and Boise worthy, they all tend to get lumped together a bit more than the skill position guys. No one at Scout is sitting watching hours of film on every 2nd tier lineman in HS so they can parse things a bit better, but they can flip through some stats on a WR or RB and make a quick determination.

Anyway, don't you think it's kind of beneath you to pick on lowly UNLV football?  Go talk smack with San Diego State or Wyoming or Air Force.

40 minutes ago, toonkee said:

They do get ranked but we all know once we get past the ones that are P5 and Boise worthy, they all tend to get lumped together a bit more than the skill position guys. No one at Scout is sitting watching hours of film on every 2nd tier lineman in HS so they can parse things a bit better, but they can flip through some stats on a WR or RB and make a quick determination.

Anyway, don't you think it's kind of beneath you to pick on lowly UNLV football?  Go talk smack with San Diego State or Wyoming or Air Force.

It's too much fun. The comedy of unlv football is great. An entire fanbase going crazy over a PE teacher who can't coach or recruit is awesome. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

it could very well be that if our two teams keep Harsin and Sanchez, by the time we play again in two years, unlv will beat boise.

just sayin...

I doubt Harsin will be around in three years. He better turn things around quickly or he will be fired. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

12 hours ago, Headbutt said:

You've got to be kidding, right?  You really couldn't fund scholarships for summer school?  I didn't realize that.  I remember when Fairchild got CSU to fund scholarships for the whole team to attend summer school.  Previously we had some players in summer semester, but a lot were away from campus working summer jobs.  I thought we were behind the curve.  I didn't realize how much the cards were stacked against Sanchez.  Those voluntary off season workouts that are student run are so valuable to a teams development these days.  It helps a team develop, it gives the S&C staff and nutritionists year round access to all of the players, and it adds continuity to the program.  The only way to keep all the players on campus, is to have all the players attending class in the summer.  Just mind blowing that you didn't have that opportunity till now.  It will make a difference.

Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked, but it just surprises me that a D1 program is just now getting their summers involved.  About time.

During the John Robinson years, and I think through the beginning part of the Sanford years, the funding for summer school was there, but at some point it evaporated. It may have been a casualty of the Great Recession which hit Vegas and the State of Nevada especially hard. At any rate, it was missing for at least 7 years and probably more.

15 hours ago, slappy said:

I'm disappointed in the class personally. I was hoping he would've built better off of UNLV's last class, which was supposedly the highest rated ever. Plus he had donations in hand to go with the IPF water-colors. I mainly wanted to see a lot more impact players on defense then we got. That is the area of biggest need. I was hoping he would go out and get more impact transfers rather than JUCOs.

That said, stars aren't everything. We will see how this class progresses in a few years.

• Like 1

They need to fire him and hire his brother.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

4 hours ago, Warbow said:

They need to fire him and hire his brother.

3 hours ago, BleedRed702 said:

Don't worry, it's coming now that TKM extended him. 

i actually like his brother better, at least he's much more aggressive and not afraid to go for it on 4th down, or a 2 point conversion to win a game.

he could be the new 10th coach. let HIM take over on defense, he could show baer a thing or two.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:19 PM, toonkee said:

Maybe...

The problem is that Cotton and Garrison aren't the best at developing line play though.  I really think Sanchez needs to move on from Cotton to be successful.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

The problem is that Cotton and Garrison aren't the best at developing line play though.  I really think Sanchez needs to move on from Cotton to be successful.  

You very well could be correct.