Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Der Fuhrer makes a personal appeal

I'm just waiting for him to try and fully suppress the press, and he'll use an executive order to do it. Not only that, but his supporters will defend him. 

This is the world in which we now live.

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I'm the oldest, so I get Jon Voight !! 

11 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Don't leave without me. And I'm older. 

11 hours ago, mugtang said:

Alright you two can use your walkers and canes to take on Voight. 

Hey, I want some this action. Will one of you guy push my chair for me?

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

You're not old. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

28 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Hey we're getting close to a basketball team now, except I think we're all a bunch of old white guys so we're the Washington Generals of basketball teams 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

9 hours ago, suralexander said:

Do you know what a tyrant is?  I can still watch my football, go to the store, have my healthcare....yadda yadda.  You sound like republicans sounded when Obama won...and guess what Obama didnt take my rights.  Oh my gosh. Amazing.  Seriously dont go to the same looney bin.  Have some self respect.  How did you get convinced to wear the tinfoil hat.  Dems used to be about science, logic, you know, in reality.  Now its all end of the world stuff.  LOL.  Dont fall for it.  Your taxes will always go up.  Inflation will always be there.  War will keep going on no matter who is elected and the next social issue to bring to the masses is just around the corner. 

This is surprisingly on point. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

This is surprisingly on point. 

I don't know, Jw. We're only a week into this experiment. That's not nearly enough time for personal liberties and the way of life we're accustomed to to alter in an obvious manner due to this administration's efforts. However, that first week has included more alternative facts, subtle and unsubtle threats against the freedom of the press, restriction of communication and the flow of information from departments of federal government, stupid fixations on properly glorifying the man in charge, language and policy that ostracizes "others" (non whites for sure, and many women will feel similarly based on Trump's past language and "alleged" actions toward the female gender plus likely Roe v Wade action looming), economic policy goals that shift sharply toward US isolationism, language from Trump that suggests he thinks torture is a fine way to extract information and whatever troubling new, restrictive presidential memoranda or executive orders he's signing as we discuss this. 

Changes in the social fabric are usually slow and steady. The changes Trump et al are proposing are none of that, and by and large (perhaps entirely) are not supported by the majority of the population. Some of the social unrest we are seeing may be overreaction, but I'm not convinced of that yet and I'm certainly not cynical enough to dismiss it all as the baseless crying of unhinged snowflakes. 

1 hour ago, Posturedoc said:

I don't know, Jw. We're only a week into this experiment. That's not nearly enough time for personal liberties and the way of life we're accustomed to to alter in an obvious manner due to this administration's efforts. However, that first week has included more alternative facts, subtle and unsubtle threats against the freedom of the press, restriction of communication and the flow of information from departments of federal government, stupid fixations on properly glorifying the man in charge, language and policy that ostracizes "others" (non whites for sure, and many women will feel similarly based on Trump's past language and "alleged" actions toward the female gender plus likely Roe v Wade action looming), economic policy goals that shift sharply toward US isolationism, language from Trump that suggests he thinks torture is a fine way to extract information and whatever troubling new, restrictive presidential memoranda or executive orders he's signing as we discuss this. 

Changes in the social fabric are usually slow and steady. The changes Trump et al are proposing are none of that, and by and large (perhaps entirely) are not supported by the majority of the population. Some of the social unrest we are seeing may be overreaction, but I'm not convinced of that yet and I'm certainly not cynical enough to dismiss it all as the baseless crying of unhinged snowflakes. 

Yeah, maybe.  You're not necessarily wrong. 

Another forum I post at is extremely right wing - your typical "Obama is a birther / Hillary for Prison" type of poster.  I listened to eight years of their "this country is doomed" paranoia and whining.  Some of asked, simply:  how is your life now, and has it improved in the last eight years?  Because mine certainly has, and I'm not sure how much Washington had to do with that one way or another.  

Granted, I am privileged.  I think the stakes are higher for women, for LGBT people, for black people, and increasingly for Hispanic people.  But arguably the stakes are just as high for blue-collar workers who can't find employment, and whose jobs are leaving the country.  

And I do think there are some very serious concerns with a Trump administration + right wing controlled Congress.  I worry about their makeover of environmental protections and public lands policy.  I'd fly a fucking airplane into the White House before I watch them privatize or transfer public lands to the states (hello, Feds!).  

But the reality is there is rhetoric and there is action, and the beauty of Washington is that rhetoric is cheap and easy, but action is slow and bureaucratic. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.