Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

307dude

The Poinsettia Bowl is Dead. Long Live the Poinsettia Bowl

This sucks. We are the new WAC

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Luckily, ESPN has our backs:

As long as you bastards don't steal the Vegas Bowl again...

Anyways, this really sucks. The Poinsettia was one of our better bowls, and it may have been even better with SDSU's new stadium. I would've much rather seen the Potato or New Mexico Bowl die.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, IanforHeisman said:

The Potato Bowl welcomes BYU.

Don't be surprised if BYU and ESPN create a new California bowl game, which would probably be good news for the MWC.

Possible locations:

1...Anaheim Angels Stadium (great destination for a bowl game, obviously)

2...San Francisco Giants Stadium (it's available, and previously hosted a bowl game)

3...LA Dodgers Stadium 

Well, the other big news about this is the Holiday Bowl moving to the Padres stadium for their game when the Q gets demolished.

The SD bowl for the MW will rise again when the new stadium gets built one way or another and the bowl will be under its own authority and not under some other bowl which is good because then it can placed on a much better date.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, bigd said:

As long as you bastards don't steal the Vegas Bowl again...

Anyways, this really sucks. The Poinsettia was one of our better bowls, and it may have been even better with SDSU's new stadium. I would've much rather seen the Potato or New Mexico Bowl die.

This is probably a domino effect of the Chargers leaving.  

I'm not sure that the Poinsettia ever had a very good payout.  They probably were losing money because the Credit Union was just not a very good sponsor.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Don't be surprised if BYU and ESPN create a new California bowl game, which would probably be good news for the MWC.

Possible locations:

1...Anaheim Angels Stadium (great destination for a bowl game, obviously)

2...San Francisco Giants Stadium (it's available, and previously hosted a bowl game)

3...LA Dodgers Stadium 

Yes an LA or bay area bowl would be great, the problem is if the Pac 12 isn't interested who could we get for the tie-in. We have enough games against the Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, bigd said:

Yes an LA or bay area bowl would be great, the problem is if the Pac 12 isn't interested who could we get for the tie-in. We have enough games against the Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA.

Well, I think that the P5 teams are loaded up, and don't have any teams available.  And I think ESPN would have BYU and the MWC share and rotate a new bowl game.

Honestly, people won't like this, but it is likely to be one of the following:

(1) MWC vs BYU

(2) BYU / MWC vs AAC (probably best case scenario)

(3) BYU / MWC vs "Open"  (would probably be a MAC or SunBelt team)

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

We're one step closer to the Caesar Salad Bowl in Tijuana.

Please, please, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaase.

201419-los-angeles-christmas-bowl-outlin

MW's statement:

Doesn't really instill much confidence because our "well-versed" leadership has saddled us with probably the worst bowl tie-ins of any conference.

I still say that the best move for the MW is to sign a bunch of back-up agreements with good bowls instead of locking ourselves into shitty bowls against the MAC. One of those good bowls will open up, they always do. Worst case scenario is they don't open and 6-6 SJSU or 6-7 Hawaii stays home. Who cares.