Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youngredbullfan

Anybody watch that Trump speech to the CIA?

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Uh... The trump administration hasn't done anything to clamp down on anything. They're a day and a half old

My point exactly.  But aren't you the one that asked "....how could you read it as anything other than government clamping down on media?"  I responded I'll interpret it as such if/when they actually attempt to do so.  

4 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

My point exactly.  But aren't you the one that asked "....how could you read it as anything other than government clamping down on media?"  I responded I'll interpret it as such if/when they actually attempt to do so.  

Uh... Lame cop out but I guess technically correct

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Because the Trump administration hasn't actually done anything to clamp down on the media.  In what way is the press less able to report today than they were the day before yesterday?  His comments about loosening libel laws during the campaign were disturbing to me and one of many reasons I couldn't vote for him.  However, the libel comments were made by candidate Trump.  I'll change my opinion if he actually threatens a reporter or media organization with legal action or instructs his administration to pursue loosening libel laws.  Whining about fake news and insisting his interpretation of events is unpresidential and petty for sure but I just don't see how it qualifies as clamping down on media.  We'll probably have to agree to disagree here.

Good post.

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The full quote was "There's been a lot of talk in the media about the responsibility to hold Donald Trump accountable and I'm here to tell you that it goes two ways.  We're going to hold the press accountable as well.  The American people deserve better and as long as he serves as the messenger of this incredible movement he will take his message directly to the American people where his focus will always be."

As I read it Spicer acknowledges that it is the job of the press to hold the president accountable but that the administration will also dispute and correct when the media in their opinion gets it wrong.  I'm not arguing the validity of Spicers claims in this odd to say the least press breifing but I don't interpret his above statement that the Trump administration will hold the media accountable to mean anything other than challenging the validity of what they report.  Every administration in history has done this albeit probably not in such a thin skinned or childish manner.

Disturbing would be Spicer threatening either outright or veiled to deny access to or jail those in the media who post unfavorable stories or tweets about Trump.  If this administration ever does this I'll gladly cry foul and call for impeachment.

Umm, should Spicer as Press Secretary maybe be held somewhat accountable by answering questions from, wait for it, the Press? I'm sure they would have posed a few questions today at the end of that performance. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Uh... Lame cop out but I guess technically correct

How can it be a cop out when this was my point all along?  I have real concerns about President Trump but endeavor to be neither a Trump apologist nor an alarmist.  The Internet has more than a fair share of both at the moment.  If waiting to see what actually occurs before forming an opinion or making a declaration is a cop out in your book than so be it.

5 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Umm, should Spicer as Press Secretary maybe be held somewhat accountable by answering questions from, wait for it, the Press? I'm sure they would have posed a few questions today at the end of that performance. 

I don't disagree with this at all.  This was more of a rant than a press briefing.  But the manner in which Spicer conducted himself was not what I took issue with.

1 minute ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

How can it be a cop out when this was my point all along?  I have real concerns about President Trump but endeavor to be neither a Trump apologist nor an alarmist.  The Internet has more than a fair share of both at the moment.  If waiting to see what actually occurs before forming an opinion or making a declaration is a cop out in your book than so be it.

Because the trump team is so new, it's impossible to judge on actions so we judge on intentions and comments.

It's like saying you can't know that your team is awesome after beating up on northern colorado. While technically true, what else are you going to talk about at that point in time?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Remember Obama doing an interview with DiCaprio, banning Fox from the press conference, and fielding questions from obscure lefty blogs at press conferences instead of traditional news sources?  I do.

The republic survived that too.

14 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Remember Obama doing an interview with DiCaprio, banning Fox from the press conference, and fielding questions from obscure lefty blogs at press conferences instead of traditional news sources?  I do.

The republic survived that too.

Well, Trump has brought in an alt-righty blogger as his strategist and had a Press Secretary basically rant his way through a lie in his first appearance and then take no questions. I'm assuming we'll survive but so far it looks like it will be with some damage.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The full quote was "There's been a lot of talk in the media about the responsibility to hold Donald Trump accountable and I'm here to tell you that it goes two ways.  We're going to hold the press accountable as well.  The American people deserve better and as long as he serves as the messenger of this incredible movement he will take his message directly to the American people where his focus will always be."

As I read it Spicer acknowledges that it is the job of the press to hold the president accountable but that the administration will also dispute and correct when the media in their opinion gets it wrong.  I'm not arguing the validity of Spicers claims in this odd to say the least press breifing but I don't interpret his above statement that the Trump administration will hold the media accountable to mean anything other than challenging the validity of what they report.  Every administration in history has done this albeit probably not in such a thin skinned or childish manner.

Disturbing would be Spicer threatening either outright or veiled to deny access to or jail those in the media who post unfavorable stories or tweets about Trump.  If this administration ever does this I'll gladly cry foul and call for impeachment.

Trump literally has indicated he wants to change the libel laws to go after people in the press he doesn't like. He said this on the campaign trail to thunderous applause. This first press conference has done little to convince me that winning the election has made him any more sane. 

He has openly referred to specific outlets that have run negative stories about him as "fake news" and refused to take questions from them. 

Not much we can do about it now, but I wish more people could have seen the writing on the wall before this buffoon was elected. The "wait and see" approach you seem to be self-righteously championing will become less and less tenable as time goes on and is actually harmful to resisting the bullshit that is likely coming on the horizon. All indications are that he and his administration have very little interest in freedom of the press, and any idiot could see that. How that could or will manifest itself remains to be seen, but as of right now Trump has a loaded gun to your head.  "I'll protest when it happens" is like saying "I'll move when he pulls the trigger". Good luck with that. If that makes me an "alarmist" so be it. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

5 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Right.  As is anyone else who voted for trump. 

What a whiny little bitch you are. 

Lolz. F-ck out of here with that sh-t,  you little twat muffin. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

Trump has been in the political spotlight now for well over a year,  and y'all keep saying "give him a chance" or "let's wait and see..."  

I mean, at this point don't we have a pretty friggin good idea who he is and what his agenda is going to be?  Y'all think he's going to all of a sudden change his tune? 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

To your question, what America did was reject the lunacy of the left.  

Then why didn't they elect a conservative?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Trump has been in the political spotlight now for well over a year,  and y'all keep saying "give him a chance" or "let's wait and see..."  

I mean, at this point don't we have a pretty friggin good idea who he is and what his agenda is going to be?  Y'all think he's going to all of a sudden change his tune? 

It's his agenda that got him elected, shitstain. Nobody expects a retarded  phuck you to like him.  

Officals from Mexico are meeting him in the WH next week, presumably to discuss The Wall.  And he's already laid the ground work for repealing Obama's greatest accomplishment. 

The guy got more done as president elect regarding getting corporations to build their stuff than O ever did. 

President Trump (I love typing that) will probably get more shit done regarding jobs during his first two years than that POS Obama did in two terms.  And he won't need some bullshit stimulus package to do it. 

Now go get your shine box, get to work and quit being such a whiny little bitch. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

27 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Judging by his cabinet choices, we did.

What makes you think his cabinet will be allowed to make any real decisions?

The Trump era will be one of immense growth in federal spending and contraction of personal liberties. Bookmark it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Watching the damage control happening with Team Trump.  Conway on Meet the Press.  Trump's team is a disaster.  

Their only goal is to control the media right now.  That's it.  This is reality TV for him.  

Lulz at Conway whining about Dems not confirming Trump's cabinet.  Like that never happens with any other presidential transition. 

This is a joke. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

How is this any different than the last 30+ years? 

Because Trump was supposed the response to the last 30 years.  

Instead,  he's more concerned about the media,  the reporting on him,  and crowd sizes.  His team has been caught in outright lies,  and already hiding a number of EOs he signed.  

Train wreck.