Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Who was the best Star Trek Captain?

Greatest Captain EVAR!  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Votr!

• Captain James T. Kirk (Prime Universe)
    • Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    • Commander/Captain Benjamin Sisko
    • Captain Katheryn Janeway
    • Captain Jonathan Archer
    • Captain James T. Kirk (Kelvin Timeline Universe)
    • NERDS!

Just now, UofMTigers said:

I like that they essentially brought Seven in as some 'T and A' to help ratings ('Scorpion I&II' caused a massive ratings spike) but low an behold, she could actually act...she brought Voyager some great episodes.

also, not a bad singer.

T and A is not enough for hotness. We're watching tv, great bodies are everywhere. Means being hot requires more, more passion, more grace, more talent, more something

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

watch 'the Emissary' and 'Duet' ('Progress' is OK too)...skip the rest of season 1...DS9 is fantastic.

Past Prologue and Battle Lines are pretty important in dealing with the Cardassian occupation and Bajoran religious background information. 

Voyager is my least favorite series but had some really great episodes

The Void - Sucked into a funky region of space with other ships where cooperation gets you out but fighting to be #1 guarantees death.  Sort of a live action prisoner's dilemma.

Latent Image - When The Doctor's programming crashes because of having to make a moral decision.  The point of the episode is a serious retread in Star Trek, but I like exploring moral dilemmas.  It was cool to see the metaphorical mental break down in terms of software or sci-fi

The Scientific Method - The one where everyone's being operated upon by aliens who are out of phase and no one can see them except Seven

But...  Harry and Tom had very little depth of character and there were some really dorky storylines like the Borg kids.  Chakotay's beliefs in his Native American religions felt more like a really cheap portrayal of what is a deep and complex culture.  I felt like it was what white people think Indians do rather than Indians saying what they do.

Voyager had high highs and really low lows.

DS9 was amazing.  I liked it all, from start to finish.  The Emissary, the megalomania/sociopathy of Gul Dukat, the history of Garak, the treatment of faith and reason between Bajoran (even Klingon religion when Worf was involved) religion and the secular, the moral dilemmas, as has already been mentioned: In the Pale Moonlight...  All of it.  Just amazing stuff.

TNG was good.  It was polished and didn't rock the boat too much, but Picard had some good soliloquies on morality and ethics.  The show had great writing and very memorable storylines, as well.

I loved Enterprise, I don't care what anyone says.

I can't get past the 60s-ness of The Original Series.

The old movies were good.  TNG movies were so-so.  New movies aren't Star Trek, just action movies with Star Trek names, thematic elements, and plotlines.\

I rarely watch TV, but I am always cycling through Star Trek series on Netflix.  Weekly.

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Past Prologue and Battle Lines are pretty important in dealing with the Cardassian occupation and Bajoran religious background information. 

the beginning of season 2...'Homecoming', 'The Circle', 'The Siege' (essentially a 3 part episode)...brings you completely up to speed on Bajoran religion and the Cardassian Occupation.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

16 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

Sisko

I always knew you were a smart man. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The Void - Sucked into a funky region of space with other ships where cooperation gets you out but fighting to be #1 guarantees death.  Sort of a live action prisoner's dilemma

Voyager had it's moments...Dark Frontier, Scorpion, The Void, The Thaw, Latent Image, Living Witness, Hope and Fear

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Enterprise sucked.

It's like the writers actually started putting out good stuff once they were told it was being canceled (mid season 4 if I remember) because Observer Effect, Babel One, United, Affliction/Divergence, In a Mirror, Darkly I&II, Terra Prime...that was really solid Star Trek.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Voyager had it's moments...Dark Frontier, Scorpion, The Void, The Thaw, Latent Image, Living Witness, Hope and Fear

Year of Hell was probably Voyager's best episode(s). 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

to me they screwed it all up by using the ole 'magic reset button' at the end...

the big issue I had was 'Year of Hell' was it's supposed to be an entire season long concept allowing the drama to have more impact because it's spread out amongst the main story lines.

it was then cut down to a 3 part episode which was again cut down to a two part episode.

What made "All Good Things" great was that they used the ole magic reset button, but Picard remembers, you watch him have to deal with the consequences, and it ties up it's loose ends well...that's why it won a Hugo Award.

what if Voyagers temporal shields hadn't dropped all the way? one person (Harry, who was almost written out of the show) remembers and is reinvented in the process...a survivor of the Year of Hell, and the person who helps the crew realize how important each day and each other are.

I like the episode...but it COULD have been Voyagers greatest.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

The reset at the end of it, making the entire thing pointless was frustrating to me. It showed a different side of Janeway, but it ultimately didn't matter.

Blink of an Eye was probably the best Voyager episode in my opinion, along with Scorpion Parts 1 and 2. 

6 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

to me they screwed it all up by using the ole 'magic reset button' at the end...

the big issue I had was 'Year of Hell' was it's supposed to be an entire season long concept allowing the drama to have more impact because it's spread out amongst the main story lines.

it was then cut down to a 3 part episode which was again cut down to a two part episode.

What made "All Good Things" great was that they used the ole magic reset button, but Picard remembers, you watch him have to deal with the consequences, and it ties up it's loose ends well...that's why it won a Hugo Award.

what if Voyagers temporal shields hadn't dropped all the way? one person (Harry, who was almost written out of the show) remembers and is reinvented in the process...a survivor of the Year of Hell, and the the person who helps the crew realize how important each day and each other are.

Exactly this. That's what frustrated me about the episode to no end. They took the concept of Yesterday Enterprise but left no lasting effects --- whereas Yesterday's Enterprise gave us Sela, and Guinan remembered what happened. Year of Hell effectively didn't actually happen.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/star-trek-deep-space-nine-930878/item/pale-moonlight-star-trek-100-925095

Nice read about some of the best episodes of DS9. Not that I agree with all of it, but good arguments for each episode.

Personally, of all the go through time then travel back reset type of episodes that we have had, I think I enjoyed The Visitor the most.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

25 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

what if Voyagers temporal shields hadn't dropped all the way? one person (Harry, who was almost written out of the show) remembers and is reinvented in the process...a survivor of the Year of Hell, and the the person who helps the crew realize how important each day and each other are.

I think Janeway could've remembered and on the reset freaked out because she was still alive.  But this is temporal mechanics.   The time ship caused all those issues so by destroying it they were able to reset everything. 

24 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The reset at the end of it, making the entire thing pointless was frustrating to me. It showed a different side of Janeway, but it ultimately didn't matter.

Blink of an Eye was probably the best Voyager episode in my opinion, along with Scorpion Parts 1 and 2. 

Blink of an Eye was a really good episode. 

30 minutes ago, retrofade said:

it's straight up plagiarism...some find it be fresh and inventive...it's nothing but a retelling of 'Dragons Egg'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Egg

full disclosure...this was pointed out to me by my personal Star Trek hero...Chuck at SF Debris (see below)

http://content.jwplatform.com/previews/NH7xRKmh-Mp70XBi4

mem skyline sig.jpeg

38 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I think Janeway could've remembered and on the reset freaked out because she was still alive.  But this is temporal mechanics.   The time ship caused all those issues so by destroying it they were able to reset everything. But, it appeared to be a continuous loop as at the end of the episode you saw Captain Annorax working on the ship stil.