Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

NM State vs. San Jose State --- MWC Membership.

Texas State!!!! Here is our football stadium and the new addition (wall coming down) of our added seating capacity to 10,000 at Strahan Coliseum.

Bobcat Stadium.jpg

Inside Strahan Image.jpg

ALUMNI - UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA ANCHORAGE (UAA) '97

ALUMNI - TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (TXST) '00

2 hours ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Yup.  Pretty much proves your homers just made that TV market shit up. You're in because you scammed the confernece into thinking you'd invest some money into your athletic program. And this, I actually can provide some evidence for. 

http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/07/29/mountain-west-still-waiting-for-san-jose-state-to-improve-facilities/

Case closed. 

If you truly believe that the television market wasn't the single largest factor in SJS being invited to the MWC you're an even bigger moron than I thought.

Champ Logo.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

If you truly believe that the television market wasn't the single largest factor in SJS being invited to the MWC you're an even bigger moron than I thought.

LIke i said, saying something over and over doesn't make it true. Come back when you can quote something other than your homer board. 

You're not going to scam us like you scammed the ol' mental giant, Craig. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Guest #1Stunner

What are the professional sports teams and major sports competing universities within a 50 mile drive of San Jose?

Off the top of my head:

PROFESSIONAL

49ers

Raiders?

Sharks (NHL)

Warriors

A's

Giants

Earthquakes (MLS)

COLLEGE

Cal

Stanford

San Francisco

Santa Clara

Saint Mary

It's really tough for San Jose State to find fans, since they might be below every other team listed above in interest.   Compare that to a school like New Mexico St, which is the only show in town (albeit a small town), and claims a large portion of fans in the State of New Mexico.

I think SJSU might be fighting a losing battle.  SJSU really needs to get creative to get more fans.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

New Mexico state is not in the MWC because of terrible football, but for stunner to make light of SJS basketball arena is rich given the temples that make up the WCC.

Honestly, there isn't a single WCC gym thatis as bad as SJSU.

Santa Clara is just down the road from SJSU.  Maybe SJSU can work a deal to share Santa Clara's gym?

LEAVEY-CENTER.jpg

Still, the main issue is fans...

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What are the professional sports teams and major sports competing universities within a 50 mile drive of San Jose?

Off the top of my head:

PROFESSIONAL

49ers

Raiders?

Sharks (NHL)

Warriors

A's

Giants

Earthquakes (MLS)

COLLEGE

Cal

Stanford

San Francisco

Santa Clara

Saint Mary

It's really tough for San Jose State to find fans, since they might be below every other team listed above in interest.   Compare that to a school like New Mexico St, which is the only show in town (albeit a small town), and claims a large portion of fans in the State of New Mexico.

I think SJSU might be fighting a losing battle.  SJSU really needs to get creative to get more fans.

Bullchit! NMSU claims no more than 5% of the fans in New Mexico. UNM gets 85%. The rest is spread between ENMU, WNMU, and New Mexico Highlands University. No one cares about the Agholes.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Bullchit! NMSU claims no more than 5% of the fans in New Mexico. UNM gets 85%. The rest is spread between ENMU, WNMU, and New Mexico Highlands University. No one cares about the Agholes.

Sean, I'm a New Mexican citizen, and I disagree.  NM State has much more than 5 percent of fans.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sean, I'm a New Mexican citizen, and I disagree.  NM State has much more than 5 percent of fans.

Then they've taken a page out of the SDSU book and gotten very good at disguising themselves as empty seats. NMSU is the only FBS team that needs juice box and orange slice donations. No one in New Mexico outside of a 2 mile radius from the NMSU campus gives a crap about the Aggies.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Then they've taken a page out of the SDSU book and gotten very good at disguising themselves as empty seats. NMSU is the only FBS team that needs juice box and orange slice donations. No one in New Mexico outside of a 2 mile radius from the NMSU campus gives a crap about the Aggies.

Sean, have you ever been to Pan American arena?

It's actually partially nicer than the Wise Pies, believe it or not.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sean, have you ever been to Pan American arena?

It's actually partially nicer than the Wise Pies, believe it or not.

I played basketball there in the 80's in the State High School Basketball Tournament. The Pit is hands down a better arena.

17 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Very few in the SJ/SF/Oak market care about SJSU.......why not invite Cal St Hayward ?!?!

True dat. I've been up in the Bay Area on business several times over the last year and tuned in KNBR680 on my rental car on each occasion. The number of times I've heard the various talk show hosts mention San Jose State is absolute zero. Not saying they never do but what good does it do the MWC to have a member in a huge metro area when the local media considers that member to be only the tenth or so most important local sports entity? At least during basketball season, even St. Mary's gets more coverage on KNBR.

That said, I'll renew my request that somebody link an article or articles which discusses why the MWC added both USU and SJSU. I took a vacation from this board when SDSU had one foot out the door so would have missed anything posted then and it just makes no sense that the Molehill Worst replaced the Aztecs and Boise with TWO schools instead of just one.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Good question and I had a few extra minutes this morning to look up the years they were in the WAC together to compare.

When both NMSU and SJSU were playing WAC football schedules, their average attendance was:

2012 - NMSU  14,247    SJSU  10,789

2011 - NMSU  15,138    SJSU  18,214

2010 - NMSU  15,906    SJSU  14,474

2009 - NMSU  16,511    SJSU  15,344

2008 - NMSU  17,756    SJSU  20,952

2007 - NMSU  14,412    SJSU  15,465

2006 - NMSU  17,596    SJSU  18,854

2005 - NMSU  12,557    SJSU  12,506

NMSU had higher average football attendance in 4 out of the 8 years, SJSU was higher in 4 of the 8 years.

Yep. When the Aztecs visited NMSU in 2010 there were about 1,000 more people in the stands than when we visited SJSU in 2015 and in 2015, probably at least 10% of the fans were Aztecs whereas almost no Aztecs traveled to Las Cruces. So there might be other reasons SJSU was offered MWC membership rather than NMSU, but football attendance is basically a wash.

Boom goes the dynamite.

20 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yep. When the Aztecs visited NMSU in 2010 there were about 1,000 more people in the stands than when we visited SJSU in 2015 and in 2015, probably at least 10% of the fans were Aztecs whereas almost no Aztecs traveled to Las Cruces. So there might be other reasons SJSU was offered MWC membership rather than NMSU, but football attendance is basically a wash.

1,000 aztecs in the stands......lolololo

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Honestly, there isn't a single WCC gym thatis as bad as SJSU.

Santa Clara is just down the road from SJSU.  Maybe SJSU can work a deal to share Santa Clara's gym?

LEAVEY-CENTER.jpg

Still, the main issue is fans...

uhhhh, yea, looks big time...... plus that was 30 min before tip against BYU. 

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

uhhhh, yea, looks big time...... plus that was 30 min before tip against BYU. 

You gotta admit, it is a huge upgrade over what SJSU currently has.