Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

NM State vs. San Jose State --- MWC Membership.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, kingpotato said:

I'd really prefer neither

I think I can see why.

But if you had to choose, NM State seems to have a much more passionate student body and fanbase.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Once again, why did the MWC choose to add San Jose State instead of NM State?

Pan_Am_inside.jpg

(I don't know NMSU's typical attendance, but this picture is from a WAC tournament and Boise, USU, UNR, Fresno are still in the conference.)

Neither schools helps the conference, but SJSU is better for travel and better for recruiting. I bet we get more money in our TV and sponsorship deals (San Jose vs Las Cruces), but I'm sure the amount is only a pittance.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

(I don't know NMSU's typical attendance, but this picture is from a WAC tournament and Boise, USU, UNR, Fresno are still in the conference.)

Neither schools helps the conference, but SJSU is better for travel and better for recruiting. I bet we get more money in our TV and sponsorship deals (San Jose vs Las Cruces), but I'm sure the amount is only a pittance.

I wouldn't be surprised if NM State has had some poor attendance vs the Sun Belt, but I think if they were swapped with San Jose, and playing the MWC (especially vs UNM), that their attendance would shoot up.    They appear to have a student body that actually cares (as opposed to San Jose State).  They at least spend money on upgrading their facilities. 

I agree, San Jose State is a better market, and might add some ad dollars, but it is probably a pittance, given how weak their market penetration in the Bay Area is.

NMSU averaged 9545/football game this past season.  That was good for 2nd lowest in FBS football.  San Jose State averaged over 15,000 for the past football attendance.  NMSU basketball attendance  is currently averaging about 4378 for the current season.  The MWC is better off with SJSU.

Guest #1Stunner
30 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

Television sets.

You guys have really got to step it up.  The basketball venue is an embarrasment to a proud city and quality school, and attendance is terrible. 

What is SJSU doing to engage the largely Asian student body?  Why aren't you getting fans and students out to the games?  Improving the venues?

I think SJSU needs to get creative and incentivize the students.  Make "citizenship" 10% of everyone's grade.  Make going to games a component of citizenship.  If the students risk a drop in their GPA by not participating in campus events, all of a sudden they are going to care and show up.  No foreign student is going to risk a drop in GPA.

Desperate times for Spartans athletics.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, stchas said:

NMSU averaged 9545/football game this past season.  That was good for 2nd lowest in FBS football.  San Jose State averaged over 15,000 for the past football attendance.  NMSU basketball attendance  is currently averaging about 4700 for the current season.  The MWC is better off with SJSU.

What was attendance of both schools when they were in the WAC?  That's the only fair comparison of fan support.

4 minutes ago, stchas said:

NMSU averaged 9545/football game this past season.  That was good for 2nd lowest in FBS football.  San Jose State averaged over 15,000 for the past football attendance.  NMSU basketball attendance  is currently averaging about 4700 for the current season.  The MWC is better off with SJSU.

Do you really think SJSU averaged 15k? Those were made up numbers after Gene tried releasing the real numbers and the fans threw a fit. The real numbers are somewhere in the 9k range.   

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

3 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Do you really think SJSU averaged 15k? Those were made up numbers after Gene tried releasing the real numbers and the fans threw a fit. The real numbers are somewhere in the 9k range.   

True, but NMSU probably did not average 9545 butts in the seats either.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, stchas said:

True, but NMSU probably did not average 9545 butts in the seats either.

Does SJSU at least sell out for rivalry games vs Fresno and Hawaii?