Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

OT: Cal Baptist joins the WAC

Cal Baptist will join the WAC on July 1, 2018 and start their transition to Division 1.   They will be the ninth member of that conference.

https://calbaptist.edu/news/cbu_to_move_to_western_athletic_conference

http://wacsports.com/news/2017/1/12/NEWS_0112173725.aspx

Guest #1Stunner

I think adding Cal Baptist might be appealing to getting University of Denver back in the conference.

There is only one terrible school in the WAC, which is Chicago State----who ironically, has a very nice arena.

They need to dump Chicago State, and add the University of Denver, and maybe also University of Omaha.  Not a bad league.

Institution Location Founded Type Enrollment Endowment Nickname Colors Joined
California State University, Bakersfield Bakersfield, California 1965 Public 8,720 $18,000,000 Roadrunners           2013
Chicago State University ChicagoIllinois 1867 Public 5,211 $3,000,000 Cougars           2013
Grand Canyon University Phoenix, Arizona 1949 Private 10,600 N/A Antelopes                2013
University of Missouri–Kansas City Kansas City, Missouri 1933 Public 16,160 $195,000,000 Kangaroos           2013
New Mexico State University Las Cruces, New Mexico 1888 Public 18,497 $154,000,000 Aggies           2005
Seattle University Seattle, Washington 1891 Private 7,755 $211,000,000 Redhawks           2012
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Edinburg, Texas 1927 Public 29,045 $77,500,000 Vaqueros                2013
Utah Valley University Orem, Utah 1941 Public 33,211 $48,000,000 Wolverines                2013

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think adding Cal Baptist might be appealing to getting University of Denver back in the conference.

There is only one terrible school in the WAC, which is Chicago State----who ironically, has a very nice arena.

They need to dump Chicago State, and add the University of Denver, and maybe also University of Omaha.  Not a bad league.

California State University, Bakersfield Bakersfield, California 1965 Public 8,720 $18,000,000 Roadrunners           2013
Chicago State University ChicagoIllinois 1867 Public 5,211 $3,000,000 Cougars           2013
Grand Canyon University Phoenix, Arizona 1949 Private 10,600 N/A Antelopes                2013
University of Missouri–Kansas City Kansas City, Missouri 1933 Public 16,160 $195,000,000 Kangaroos           2013
New Mexico State University Las Cruces, New Mexico 1888 Public 18,497 $154,000,000 Aggies           2005
Seattle University Seattle, Washington 1891 Private 7,755 $211,000,000 Redhawks           2012
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Edinburg, Texas 1927 Public 29,045 $77,500,000 Vaqueros                2013
Utah Valley University Orem, Utah 1941 Public 33,211 $48,000,000 Wolverines                2013

Chicago State is considering dropping athletic competition to cut costs. It's had all sorts of problems, including corruption and drop in student enrollment.

Guest #1Stunner

Question:

Is there a single WAC school that has a WORSE arena than SJSU?

San Jose, this is pathetic.  You are better than this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, crixus said:

Chicago State is considering dropping athletic competition to cut costs. It has had all sorts of problems, inc. corruption and drop in student enrollment.

I heard that as well.

Chicago State is basically an all black college, with inner city kids.  They haven't had good support from the State of Illinois, and don't have a wealthy alumni base.  There is talk of dropping the program, but doing so, has a hint of racism.  Ignoring the black inner city.

It's strange that the school doesn't have more funding or support from the State.  And like I said, they have a nice arena:

1280px-20140221_CPL_Championship_Game_en

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I heard that as well.

Chicago State is basically an all black college, with inner city kids.  They haven't had good support from the State of Illinois, and don't have a wealthy alumni base.  There is talk of dropping the program, but doing so, has a hint of racism.  Ignoring the black inner city.

It's strange that the school doesn't have more funding or support from the State.  And like I said, they have a nice arena:

graduation rate=11%

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-chicago-state-board-meeting-20160506-story.html

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

11%, that almost puts it on par with FresNeck. :D

1 minute ago, crixus said:

11%, that almost puts it on par with FresNeck. :D

Try not to be too hard on our country cousins. Getting used to wearing shoes and underwear can be distracting and can negatively impact classroom performance.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Try not to be too hard on our country cousins. Getting used to wearing shoes and underwear can be distracting and can negatively impact classroom performance.

You should have an HBO special. :D

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I heard that as well.

Kinda reminds me of Clune.

Guest #1Stunner

UVU has some real potential to improve here in the next few years.

They are the biggest University in the State of Utah now---a basketball crazy State.

They've essentially turned themselves into the destination transfer school for BYU, Utah, and USU transfers.   I think USU fans are worried about UVU the most, as recruiting in Utah has normally gone BYU/UTAH as getting the best in-state recruits, and then USU getting leftovers.  Those leftovers might start going to UVU instead of USU in the future---who knows?!  UVU isn't as isolated as USU is, in Logan.

UVU is now getting more fan support in the WAC, and has a decent arena.

9645a5dfc220e30a631776553cfc044e.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Other WAC arenas:

Grand Canyon (GCU Arena)

1783_GCU_Arena_32.jpg

NM State (Pan American Center):

Pan_Am_inside.jpg

Seattle (KeyArena)

OSAGXNEHNNOFXYP.20110727233340.jpg

Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV Fieldhouse)

Cz-ym_9WQAAc0Oh.jpg

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I refuse to believe that a school founded 76 years ago with a school census of 33,211 has an endowment of only $48 million (Utah Valley) and another school founded 150 years ago has an endowment of only $3 million (Chicago State.) Both of these are public universities per this chart. It is also very surprising that Bakersfield State has an endowment of only $18 million. I remember when the WAC was a reasonably strong west coast conference. Oh how the almost mighty and always respectable have fallen.   

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

UVU has some real potential to improve here in the next few years.

They are the biggest University in the State of Utah now---a basketball crazy State.

They've essentially turned themselves into the destination transfer school for BYU, Utah, and USU transfers.   I think USU fans are worried about UVU the most, as recruiting in Utah has normally gone BYU/UTAH as getting the best in-state recruits, and then USU getting leftovers.  Those leftovers might start going to UVU instead of USU in the future---who knows?!  UVU isn't as isolated as USU is, in Logan.

UVU is now getting more fan support in the WAC, and has a decent arena.

9645a5dfc220e30a631776553cfc044e.jpg

Including dropping 114 on BYU...

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

I refuse to believe that a school founded 76 years ago with a school census of 33,211 has an endowment of only $48 million (Utah Valley) and another school founded 150 years ago has an endowment of only $3 million (Chicago State.) Both of these are public universities per this chart. It is also very surprising that Bakersfield State has an endowment of only $18 million. I remember when the WAC was a reasonably strong west coast conference. Oh how the almost mighty and always respectable have fallen.   

To be fair I think Utah Valley was a Juco just a few years ago.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Cal Bakersfield (Icardo Center)

MPOLPCFDDIWVNRI.20160124065119.jpg

The Runners used to play downtown at Rabobank, which is a really nice little arena.  A coupe years ago they moved back to their on campus gym.  I've watched them play at both.  It's kind of a mixed bag, I miss the beer and comfy seats at Rabobank, on the other hand the atmosphere is better with a full gym rather than an empty arena.  I wish the Runners would still play downtown for the Fresno game and NMSU And maybe the Gauchos and Mustangs.  But they don't.

Anyway, it's been fun to watch them develop.  I would go to games when they were in transition and there would be a few hundred people there at Rabobank, and for baseball it was less impressive than a wealthy suburban high school stadium.

In the past couple years I've watched them sell out Jackie Robinson stadium at the regionals and take the Sooners to the wire in the NCAA tournament.  The school president and basketball coach are really likable guys, and it's been a fun underdog story to follow from the beginning.