Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

OT- MLB HOF

Bagwell, Tim Raines, and Ivan Rodriguez. There was talk Pudge might not make it in which is crazy considering he was the best catcher of the generation by a mile.

Glad Bagwell made it, I grew up watching him and Biggio play. 

Surprised Hoffman didn't make it, he was a premier closer for over a decade but the HOF isn't kind to closers.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That Pudge and Bags made it before Bonds and Clemens is silly. Acknowledge the era Cooperstown. Put it on the plaques. It's a museum for christsakes. 

has to happen next year right? 

13 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

has to happen next year right? 

Maybe not next, but they are creeping up.

I just hate that the writers take this position of moral authority. It was they who were derelict in telling the public about steroids becoming rampant within the sport. And they've since taken the position that any "proven" user shouldn't get in, yet a Pudge and a Bagwell are worthy? It just mystifies me. We all looked the other way until it became clear that it gave kids a clear signal to poison their bodies. But they, at least it's a minority now, still won't come to grips with their part in all this. 

They'll get in as they deserve. Nobody who cares about baseball can deny how great they were against their peers. And there is nobody who cared about sports at the time that can say with a straight face Bonds at bat wasn't the most riveting thing in the world. Put them in the museum. It's just a museum right?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Great to see Raines finally make it in, it's well deserved.

I think Bonds and Clemens are going to have to wait until 2019. Vlad and Hoffman will go in next year, and there's one guaranteed first ballot entry in Chipper Jones. The real next question mark other than Bonds and Clemens is what to do with Edgar Martinez... he's at 58.6% in year 8, and the writers don't seem to respect DHs all that much. Thome becomes eligible next year as well, and that may be what gets Edgar in. If Thome gets in on his first try, 2018 would look like this: Jones, Thome, Hoffman, and Vlad. Then I think 2019 gives us at least Martinez and Mariano Rivera, and that's where I can see Bonds and Clemens getting in. 

Lots of stars have sucked balls in the postseason.. Or hardly made it all. I don't think that should go against 15 years of regular season work. 

There re was an article on how Bagwell would take voluntary tests and give the results to management, it's a few years old but I'll try to find it. He's 38th all time in WAR that is easily HOF worthy. Not many first basemen could do it all. Steal bases, hit for major power, and play great defense.

11 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That Pudge and Bags made it before Bonds and Clemens is silly. Acknowledge the era Cooperstown. Put it on the plaques. It's a museum for christsakes. 

Disagree with your statement that Bonds and Clemens should get in before Pudge and Bags.  Just because they all played in the steroid era doesn't mean they all used.  To the best off our knowledge Pudge and Bags did it right.

I do agree that Bonds and Clemens shouldn't be kept out but I've absolutely no problem with making them sweat it out.  It's a museum for christ's sake!

It's crazy to me that Vlad Guerrero is getting consideration for HoF, but especially when Bonds, Clemens, and a handful of others are sitting out. 

Happy for Raines. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

30 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Disagree with your statement that Bonds and Clemens should get in before Pudge and Bags.  Just because they all played in the steroid era doesn't mean they all used.  To the best off our knowledge Pudge and Bags did it right.

I do agree that Bonds and Clemens shouldn't be kept out but I've absolutely no problem with making them sweat it out.  It's a museum for christ's sake!

A Houston reporter alleges Bagwell admitted to him he used Andro in 1998. Canseco said in his book that he injected Pudge. Canseco is a dope in many ways but I don't believe he lied about anything having to do with drugs in that book.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

12 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Bonds McGwire and the rest are getting what they deserved.  They were paid nicely and are enjoying all the benefits now.  But sometimes there are rules and consequences.   I don't feel sorry for them or feel they belong.  I'm sure they wouldn't do anything different if given a choice.  

4 minutes ago, slappy said:

Bonds McGwire and the rest are getting what they deserved.  They were paid nicely and are enjoying all the benefits now.  But sometimes there are rules and consequences.   I don't feel sorry for them or feel they belong.  I'm sure they wouldn't do anything different if given a choice.  

What rules are you talking about? This is a bunch of high and mighty baseball writers deciding what is morally acceptable, ignoring the fact that nary a goddamn one of them wrote an article that lifted the curtain on the rampant drug use. It's stupid. The only ones getting screwed by this are the people who buy a ticket to the museum of baseball.

13 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:
55 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What rules are you talking about? This is a bunch of high and mighty baseball writers deciding what is morally acceptable, ignoring the fact that nary a goddamn one of them wrote an article that lifted the curtain on the rampant drug use. It's stupid. The only ones getting screwed by this are the people who buy a ticket to the museum of baseball.

Not true.  There have been plenty of ex HOF players and non HOF players that have my same opinion.  This is not the writers verse Bonds.  I believe you are exaggerating the stance to try and help your point.  This is a ongoing debate with plenty of supporters on both sides.  

9 minutes ago, slappy said:

At this point it is exclusively the baseball writers who decide whether or not Bonds and the like get in. So it kinda is a writers vs Bonds thing.

17 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Bagwell, Tim Raines, and Ivan Rodriguez. There was talk Pudge might not make it in which is crazy considering he was the best catcher of the generation by a mile.

Glad Bagwell made it, I grew up watching him and Biggio play. 

Surprised Hoffman didn't make it, he was a premier closer for over a decade but the HOF isn't kind to closers.

Image result for killer b's houston