Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackmormon

Why is the suicide rate in rural Nevada nearly triple the national average?

Why is the suicide rate in rural Nevada nearly triple the national average?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Why is the suicide rate in rural Nevada nearly triple the national average?

• Mental illness caused by toxic chemicals used in mining.
    • They want to hang with city people in the afterlife.
    • The only sure way to get away from uncle Blue.

I imagine it's a combination of issues, with poverty being the leading cause. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/article/div-classtitlethe-association-between-suicide-and-the-socio-economic-characteristics-of-geographical-areas-a-systematic-reviewdiv/71841A26BF66AC7AAA3AF839DD9C2EBA

In case Jack actually wants to educate himself.  

There are many reasons for high suicide rates.   It is always disturbing to me that people who claim to want to protect the weak and helpless in society take so much glee in attacking them.  I am sure Jackmoron was ecstatic he could attack these poor vulnerable people and in so doing discredit me if possible.   Jackmoron is one of those people who thinks he is part of the elite, when in reality he is nothing but a selfish authoritarian who wants power in government because he knows that is the only way he will get any.  He is a dark hole in our society.

1) many people who are borderline in society can make a living in rural areas because job requirements are lower and antisocial behavior is more accepted..  So many borderline people who can't handle the stress and pressure of city life move to rural area's.

2)  In 2010 all mental health programs started in 2000 in the rurals, were canceled.  The support of a once weekly visit to a mental health professional has massively increased our prisoner load in our county jails and the suicide rate.  It was much more important to save that million and a half dollars that a weekly mental health professional and monthly public nurse visit to each of the rural counties cost.  To save the expansion of some worthless program in Clark county.

It has happened over and over in Nevada.  In the 80's we fought for a rural mental health care program and it had great success.  Then that retard Bob Miller canceled the program and suicide rates and jail populations soared.  We got the legislation passed again in 2000 but again when budgets got tight the democrats canceled the programs in 2010.

3) rural county populations are made up of a much higher percentage of borderline personalities.   They are less educated on average and they flock to rural areas where they are safer.  It is much less likely you will be incarcerated or shot by law enforcement in a rural town where everyone knows you.  They know your family and they know you have problems.  There is no homeless in rural communities as these people are attended to by local law enforcement, charities and churches.  So we attract the mentally unstable.

4)  In rural Nevada I know of a pedofile community.  Where a whole bunch of old dudes with felony records who have basically no where in society to exist have moved to an old mining camp away from everyone.  Where they can live without constant fear.  Very high incidence of suicide in this community.

5) you have big prisons in Pershing, Humboldt and White Pine counties where prisoners make up a significant portion of the population of these counties.  Of course these prisoners mostly from Las Vegas commit suicide at very high rates.  Even though unlike their law abiding rural neighbors they get some state provided mental health care.

7 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

There are many reasons for high suicide rates.   It is always disturbing to me that people who claim to want to protect the weak and helpless in society take so much glee in attacking them.  I am sure Jackmoron was ecstatic he could attack these poor vulnerable people and in so doing discredit me if possible.   Jackmoron is one of those people who thinks he is part of the elite, when in reality he is nothing but a selfish authoritarian who wants power in government because he knows that is the only way he will get any.  He is a dark hole in our society.

1) many people who are borderline in society can make a living in rural areas because job requirements are lower and antisocial behavior is more accepted..  So many borderline people who can't handle the stress and pressure of city life move to rural area's.

2)  In 2010 all mental health programs started in 2000 in the rurals, were canceled.  The support of a once weekly visit to a mental health professional has massively increased our prisoner load in our county jails and the suicide rate.  It was much more important to save that million and a half dollars that a weekly mental health professional and monthly public nurse visit to each of the rural counties cost.  To save the expansion of some worthless program in Clark county.

It has happened over and over in Nevada.  In the 80's we fought for a rural mental health care program and it had great success.  Then that retard Bob Miller canceled the program and suicide rates and jail populations soared.  We got the legislation passed again in 2000 but again when budgets got tight the democrats canceled the programs in 2010.

3) rural county populations are made up of a much higher percentage of borderline personalities.   They are less educated on average and they flock to rural areas where they are safer.  It is much less likely you will be incarcerated or shot by law enforcement in a rural town where everyone knows you.  They know your family and they know you have problems.  There is no homeless in rural communities as these people are attended to by local law enforcement, charities and churches.  So we attract the mentally unstable.

4)  In rural Nevada I know of a pedofile community.  Where a whole bunch of old dudes with felony records who have basically no where in society to exist have moved to an old mining camp away from everyone.  Where they can live without constant fear.  Very high incidence of suicide in this community.

5) you have big prisons in Pershing, Humboldt and White Pine counties where prisoners make up a significant portion of the population of these counties.  Of course these prisoners mostly from Las Vegas commit suicide at very high rates.  Even though unlike their law abiding rural neighbors they get some state provided mental health care.

Good points.

And to add some levity- your #3 comment reminded me of the old Andy Griffith show.

Otis ( the town drunk) would stumble into the sheriffs office on one of his benders.

Andy or Barney would open a cell so Otis could crash out and sleep it off. 

12 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Good points.

And to add some levity- your #3 comment reminded me of the old Andy Griffith show.

Otis ( the town drunk) would stumble into the sheriffs office on one of his benders.

Andy or Barney would open a cell so Otis could crash out and sleep it off. 

When I grew up in a rural Nevada town and watched the Andy Griffith Show I thought it was reality TV.

Our policeman when I was a kid even wore the exact same uniforms.   The local sheriff would every afternoon fall asleep in his patrol car.  He was about 70 years old and needed an afternoon siesta I guess.

40 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I already posted a link to a Nevada source, citing Nevada data.

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

I wasn't attacking suicide victims. I was simply pointing to the data.

You are continually attacking "city people," blaming them for everything thing that is wrong with this country.

PS: I chose to work in government because I wanted to help people. I couldn't have chosen a more rewarding career. It is truly my dream job.

I've read an interesting article that mentioned a large correlation between elevation and suicide. It noted that the two geographical factors that correlate with suicide are lack of daylight and elevation. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

39 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I've read an interesting article that mentioned a large correlation between elevation and suicide. It noted that the two geographical factors that correlate with suicide are lack of daylight and elevation. 

I saw that as well. The suicide rate is significantly higher in rural western states and among young people. Most studies I have read point to the easy access and effectiveness of firearms. Intentional drug overdoses, wrist slitting and the like are far less likely to result in death.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Any theory on the elevation deal?

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

I saw that as well. The suicide rate is significantly higher in rural western states and among young people. Most studies I have read point to the easy access and effectiveness of firearms. Intentional drug overdoses, wrist slitting and the like are far less likely to result in death.

Because there is such a lack of firearms in Chicago?

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

Having you for a neighbor. ;)

2 hours ago, jackmormon said:

I wasn't attacking suicide victims. I was simply pointing to the data.

You are continually attacking "city people," blaming them for everything thing that is wrong with this country.

PS: I chose to work in government because I wanted to help people. I couldn't have chosen a more rewarding career. It is truly my dream job.

You chose to work in government because you didn't have the balls to be a producer.  You lie to yourself because you are ashamed that you collect a very good check for doing nothing positive in the world.  You think you are superior to others especially the mentally ill because that is the way authoritarians think.  You actually think you should be in charge of everyone else because our freedom is dangerous to you.

I continually attack city people because they are out of touch with the real world in so many ways.  I need go no farther then your first post in this thread as an example of a city person who thinks he is elite and looks down on others.

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

If lack of firearms prevent suicide why are the highest suicide rates in european countries who have had arms control laws for a 1000 years.    You haven't looked at studies you were talking with the so called "elitist", in your government office.  Who are like you barely above retard status.   

Some of the highest suicide rates are in countries with generational gun control laws like SOuth Korea, Japan, Poland, India, Russia, and even France has a higher suicide rate then the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Because there is such a lack of firearms in Chicago?

Per capita I'd bet they have less firearms. 

Access to firearms doesnt really determine whether you'll ATTEMPT suicide, but it'll definitely determine whether you'll succeed. This is why I think white males have the highest rates of suicide (save kids on Indian Reservations) but it's females who attempt it the most. The difference is method.

Of course, the presence of guns has nothing to do with the actual problems causing mental illness and depression.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Per capita I'd bet they have less firearms. 

Access to firearms doesnt really determine whether you'll ATTEMPT suicide, but it'll definitely determine whether you'll succeed. This is why I think white males have the highest rates of suicide (save kids on Indian Reservations) but it's females who attempt it the most. The difference is method.

Of course, the presence of guns has nothing to do with the actual problems causing mental illness and depression.

In Europe it is common for young males to put their head on a railroad track in front of a train.  You don't need guns to have a highly successful rate of suicide.

4 hours ago, jackmormon said:

The suicide rate is significantly higher in rural western states and among young people. Most studies I have read point to the easy access and effectiveness of firearms. Intentional drug overdoses, wrist slitting and the like are far less likely to result in death.

DNC Talking Point #2674-G. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Any theory on the elevation deal?

I'd love to hear some, it's really interesting, could lack of oxygen maybe be a cause? I am just throwing darts at the wall with that 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage