Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WindowCoug

OT: I'll stand on your lawn if I want to old man: BYU FB '17

4 hours ago, WindowCoug said:

They could have just joined the Pac 10 and had the same kind of schedule.  

If they could have, why don't they just do that?  

( and, as an FYI, P5 schedules generally do not include 7-8 built in wins )

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest Dr. Dre
14 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Ute fans desperately want BYU to rejoin the MWC for some unexplained reason, which is ironic because "we hardly think about BYU anymore".

I can understand the MWC schools have a strong opinion on BYU joining the MWC, but I'm not sure why Ute fans are so strongly against BYU being Indy in football.

I honestly think Ute fans to a fan, could give a rip about ybu- other than to laugh their collective asses off at their predicament. Burn of the century. Thank you Utah! As for all MWC schools that schedule ybu, you should be ashamed- ESPECIALLY Boise.

15 hours ago, Mano said:

If they could have, why don't they just do that?  

( and, as an FYI, P5 schedules generally do not include 7-8 built in wins )

Two things:

1) It was a joke 

2) If you really believe the part above in bold BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAH. 

LSU defensive preview 1:

Dave Aranda is a good coach who was first a D Coordinator for USU under Gary Anderson for a season.  He spent the next 3 seasons at Wisconsin and last year was his first season at LSU.  

LSU loses their two leading tacklers.   In 2016 they played a basic base 3-4 that allowed their athletes to make plays and welcomed a challenge.  In 2017 the LSU defense is expected to still be great, but Aranda is going to change the scheme.  He succesfully made a similarly large game plan adjustment to match personnel while at Wisconsin in his second season there.  

Full article

“This year we played a very basic style and very much a ‘Hey, here we are. What’re you going to do about it?’ type of thing,” he said. “I think that was our personality with the [personnel] that we have. But next year is going to be a different year. That allows for whatever creativity of rushers or coverage or whatever else it brings. That’s always exciting.”

A man, a plan, Aranda

It’s no secret that LSU has a lot to replace on defense heading into 2017. Seniors Tre’Davious White, Kendell Beckwith, Duke Riley, Rickey Jefferson, Greg Gilmore and Lewis Neal will all be moving on, and junior safety Jamal Adams likely will join them by declaring for the NFL Draft.

And while Aranda might have obvious contingency plans in place for restocking the secondary and the defensive line, replacing Riley and Beckwith at inside linebacker presents an intriguing challenge.

A linebackers coach by trade, Aranda said he feels “energized” by the challenge of replacing two men who combined for 176 tackles, 15 TFLs, 2.5 sacks, five pass breakups and three quarterback hurries. Solving that challenge begins with the development of rising senior Donnie Alexander and rising sophomore Devin White, but Aranda acknowledged that junior Devin Voorhies also could be in the mix for some playing time.

Additionally, Aranda hinted that some of the burdens of dropping into coverage could fall more on the outside linebackers next year, particularly younger players who have the length and versatility to oscillate between inside and outside linebacker.

“When you’ve got pass rushers, you’re always hesitant about dropping them,” he said. “You always want them to pass rush. But when you have the athletes on the outside, we’re talking about Michael Divinity and Ray Thornton, there’s opportunity to rush and drop and create opportunities for other guys rushing.”

Aranda likened the situation to the one he inherited at Wisconsin in 2013. In his first season in Madison, Aranda coached a senior-heavy team, complete with two veteran inside linebackers. But in 2014, those linebackers moved on to the NFL, and Aranda spent the next two seasons mixing and matching combinations, even netting some of his less-experienced players all-conference consideration.

Here is an article that showed what Aranda did in 2015   It sounds like BYU will need to be successful in establishing the run and opening up the play action game to have any success against LSU. Luckily, that is what BYU is trying to do every week as a game plan, so it shouldn't make BYU make a crazy game plan.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:34 AM, Dr. Dre said:

I honestly think Ute fans to a fan, could give a rip about ybu- other than to laugh their collective asses off at their predicament. Burn of the century. Thank you Utah! As for all MWC schools that schedule ybu, you should be ashamed- ESPECIALLY Boise.

I know SDSU doesn't have many traditional in state rivalries. If you did you'd understand why USU schedules BYU. The game sells out, its cheap for travel, and BYU is a quality team/program. USU would play Utah every year too if they'd play us. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

I know SDSU doesn't have many traditional in state rivalries. If you did you'd understand why USU schedules BYU. The game sells out, its cheap for travel, and BYU is a quality team/program. USU would play Utah every year too if they'd play us. 

The number coaches leaving USU recently is unreal.  I hope that settles down and USU gets back on track in the next couple of seasons.  

52 minutes ago, WindowCoug said:

The number coaches leaving USU recently is unreal.  I hope that settles down and USU gets back on track in the next couple of seasons.  

We only lost one coach we wanted to keep this offseason. We fired another. That's a banner offseason for us. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest Dr. Dre
On 1/21/2017 at 5:30 PM, madmartigan said:

Well, USuckU gets a pass. You Mormon freaks probably all hang out after the game discussing Jesus and Indians over a caffeine-free coke

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

Well, USuckU gets a pass. You Mormon freaks probably all hang out after the game discussing Jesus and Indians over a caffeine-free coke

Chocolate Milk, friend.

Get ready.... John David will be announcing a series with BYU fairly soon.   This is for the fans in El Cajon.

Guest Dr. Dre
3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

John David will be announcing a series with BYU fairly soon.  

There's a better chance of you drinking a Budweiser and smoking a cigarette. 110% not happening. Sorry.

SJSU is that way -->

On 1/20/2017 at 9:34 PM, Dr. Dre said:

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any dumber, you go and say something like this.......and totally redeem yourself!!! You are allowed 10 "yer mom" jokes until you lose all credibility once again.

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG