Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

SDSU

19 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Petco was specifically built not to meet football playing size if memory serves me.

As far as "public" use would go regarding a new stadium, is my memory correct that USD doesn't field a team at any level?

A try use stadium between MLS, SDSU, and USD, seems like it'd be a win for everyone involved.

USD has a football program. Jim Harbaugh's first HC gig was there. What level? Basically JC. I don't see the Toreros playing in the new stadium. They draw less than 2K per game so if you think Qualcomm sometimes looked deserted with 18K in a 71K seat stadium (i.e. only 25% full at times), just imagine USD playing in a 30K+ seat stadium (15% full tops).

This thing is going to be laid out in stages. The first is expected to be an announcement that San Diego is going to have a professional soccer team and rumor has it that announcement will be made within the next couple weeks. That announcement will be met with great support since everybody in the city really wants pro soccer. Then they'll roll out drawings of a proposed SDSU-pro soccer stadium. That announcement will be met with huge debate. Think 33% of people liking it, 33% saying it's too small and the other one-third saying it's too big depending on their level of support for pro soccer and/or SDSU football.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Sounds like SDSU is likely staying at Qualcomm Stadium for the time being.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jan/19/sd-sdsu-stadium/

San Diego State University has started talks with the city of San Diego on extending its lease for staging football games at Qualcomm Stadium for an additional two years, Athletic Director John David Wicker said Thursday.

At a news conference to announce a five-year contract extension for head football coach Rocky Long, Wicker said the current lease will expire after the 2018 season. He said the lease extension would last through 2020.

Discussions with the city on the future of Qualcomm Stadium are in their initial stages in the wake of the Chargers' decision last week to move to Los Angeles, according to Wicker. Issues include how to handle signage, skybox rentals and whether to replace the facility's antiquated video boards — things that used to be in the NFL franchise's purview.

Guest Dr. Dre
7 minutes ago, Fido said:

Sounds like SDSU is likely staying at Qualcomm Stadium for the time being.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jan/19/sd-sdsu-stadium/

San Diego State University has started talks with the city of San Diego on extending its lease for staging football games at Qualcomm Stadium for an additional two years, Athletic Director John David Wicker said Thursday.

At a news conference to announce a five-year contract extension for head football coach Rocky Long, Wicker said the current lease will expire after the 2018 season. He said the lease extension would last through 2020.

Discussions with the city on the future of Qualcomm Stadium are in their initial stages in the wake of the Chargers' decision last week to move to Los Angeles, according to Wicker. Issues include how to handle signage, skybox rentals and whether to replace the facility's antiquated video boards — things that used to be in the NFL franchise's purview.

We'll need those two years while we build our stadium.

39 minutes ago, k5james said:

This.

If you were SDSUs AD, how would you finance a new stadium and the land It rests on? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest Dr. Dre
1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

If you were SDSUs AD, how would you finance a new stadium and the land It rests on? 

I swear, this is an example of what I'm talking about- a message board simpleton. How many times has this been hashed and re-hashed? 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

I swear, this is an example of what I'm talking about- a message board simpleton. How many times has this been hashed and re-hashed? 

I don't read every post on this board.  I'm Sorry for missing all the places this was hashed and rehashed. I was specifically asking K5 anyway because he has some good takes on things. No alterior motive, no passive aggressive jab about SDSU not being able to get it done, mostly interested in K5s opinion, hence the question directed at him. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest Dr. Dre
Just now, madmartigan said:

I don't read every post on this board.  I'm Sorry for missing all the places this was hashed and rehashed. I was specifically asking K5 anyway because he has some good takes on things. 

You spend enough time on here to know what is going on in Mission Valley. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Dre said:

You spend enough time on here to know what is going on in Mission Valley. 

No, because I'm a message board simpleton. I'm too dumb to understand. I need it rehashed.

5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

when they start building the border wall,somehow the same materials will be used to build the stadium.costs nothing.

3 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

when they start building the border wall,somehow the same materials will be used to build the stadium.costs nothing.

Now that makes sense. More efficient use of materials and man power. 

Guest Dr. Dre
6 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

No, because I'm a message board simpleton. I'm too dumb to understand. I need it rehashed.

certainly acting like one. Lemme guess, voted for Trump?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

certainly acting like one. Lemme guess, voted for Trump?

I was too busy with yer mom to vote for Trump. Washing her stench off me took way too long so I couldn't vote. But seriously, no I didn't vote for Trump. 

24 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Getting bonds approved would be the best way besides fundraising.  From what I understand they're going to try and get the city to donate or lease the land and the stadium costs will be split with the MLS.

David Grant Garrick Verified account @UTDavidGarrick

#SanDiego may shut 'Q' down in 2018 with @Chargers gone

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sd-me-chargers-lease-20170119-story.html

Mark Zeigler @sdutzeigler

Mark Zeigler Retweeted David Grant Garrick

And the lease allows them to do it even earlier if they want. Not good news for SDSU football ...

13 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

David Grant Garrick Verified account @UTDavidGarrick

#SanDiego may shut 'Q' down in 2018 with @Chargers gone

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sd-me-chargers-lease-20170119-story.html

Mark Zeigler @sdutzeigler

Mark Zeigler Retweeted David Grant Garrick

And the lease allows them to do it even earlier if they want. Not good news for SDSU football ...

It would have to be declared condemned for them then to do that.  It would be really hard for them to pull that off when's they were expecting the Chargers to play there for five more years at least.

Ziegler has such a hard on for SDSU football it's comedy.  

Our AD is already working on a two year extension to bridge us to 2020...which happens to be the same year the soon to be proposed SDSU/MLS stadium is to be completed.