Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NBA franchise in Vegas looms a possibility

24 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/nba-franchise-in-vegas-looms-a-possibility/641367505

This is getting nuts - from nothing to 3 major league pro teams inside 18 months (maybe) :blink:

Yeah, Goodman would just love to have an NBA team after that All-Star game experience there. LOL

1 hour ago, aztech said:

Yeah, Goodman would just love to have an NBA team after that All-Star game experience there. LOL

That was a learning experience if anything.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/nba-franchise-in-vegas-looms-a-possibility/641367505

This is getting nuts - from nothing to 3 major league pro teams inside 18 months (maybe) :blink:

Nuts as in good. The more jobs available for people the better. Plus the NBA has been talking about adding two teams to equal out the conferences ever since Silver took over as the Commissioner. I hope it happens there in Vegas and I wonder where the 32nd NBA team will be? Hopefully Seattle will get another chance. They had a loyal fan base up there before the Owner decided to move back to his home state of Oklahoma and take the team with him.

getting the Grizzlies and the Redbirds (Card's AAA team) has been huge for downtown Memphis...it's amazing how transformative pro franchises can be. It will be a 'game changer' for Las Vegas IMHO...

FedExForum:

Fed_Ex_Forum.jpg

AutoZone Park:

autozone-park-t1.jpg?h=350&la=en&w=805

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, aztech said:

Goodman doesn't have much say since her jurisdiction stops at Sahara Ave - unless the city is going to build another arena 

14 minutes ago, Traitmanz said:

Ill be cool with it but Seattle needs to gets its franchise back before any other city 

or both as part of a 2 team expansion and conference/division reorganization.

https://16winsaring.com/sources-nba-expansion-looming-with-two-new-franchises-a4dd52b563d6#.62ycm6scr

The league would ideally like to bring two franchises in that could take up residence in the Western Conference, with the Memphis Grizzlies moving to the Eastern Conference. How this would impact divisions and schedule remains to be seen, but there is growing talk of having two 16 team conferences with no divisions.

Seattle and Las Vegas make sense...I want to be with Atlanta in the East.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Nuts as in good. The more jobs available for people the better. Plus the NBA has been talking about adding two teams to equal out the conferences ever since Silver took over as the Commissioner. I hope it happens there in Vegas and I wonder where the 32nd NBA team will be? Hopefully Seattle will get another chance. They had a loyal fan base up there before the Owner decided to move back to his home state of Oklahoma and take the team with him.

I'm fairly confident the NBA will return to Seattle along with a new or transplanted NHL franchise inside of 5 years.  Both leagues need to add teams in the west to even out conferences and both want to be in Seattle.  Bring back the Sonics and the Metropolitans!

40 minutes ago, bigd said:

An NFL and NBA team would be a deathblow for UNLV athletics. They would basically be a Big West school.

folks said the same thing about Tiger basketball with the Grizz in town...we simply adapted to each other:

9753244.jpeg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

5 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

folks said the same thing about Tiger basketball with the Grizz in town...we simply adapted to each other:

9753244.jpeg

Good point, UNLV and Memphis are really similar in a lot of ways.

as a die-hard nba fan and a person that acknowledges there's not a ton of crossover between an nba and nhl fan.... i have to say that the nhl beat the nba if the nba views vegas as a potential market. crossover seasons, same venue. vegas can't support 2 professional teams playing games at the same time. i think that's the harsh reality of simple demographics. 

denver's the smallest market with an nba and nhl team... 24th in nhl attendance and dead last in basketball

minnesota next smallest but thankfully their hockey team is first in their division, second to last in basketball attendance

detroit next up, obviously the red wings are historic... pistons third to last in nba attendance

phoenix, terrible hockey attendance but cheap basketball tickets

and denver, minnesota, detroit and phoenix absolutely trump las vegas in terms of media markets fwiw

lets see if vegas can support a single fall/winter/spring team before we even bother with the nba talk. imo this is very much "point: nhl" and we have to wait and reassess in 5-10 years

6 hours ago, TK_05 said:

as a die-hard nba fan and a person that acknowledges there's not a ton of crossover between an nba and nhl fan.... i have to say that the nhl beat the nba if the nba views vegas as a potential market. crossover seasons, same venue. vegas can't support 2 professional teams playing games at the same time. i think that's the harsh reality of simple demographics. 

denver's the smallest market with an nba and nhl team... 24th in nhl attendance and dead last in basketball

minnesota next smallest but thankfully their hockey team is first in their division, second to last in basketball attendance

detroit next up, obviously the red wings are historic... pistons third to last in nba attendance

phoenix, terrible hockey attendance but cheap basketball tickets

and denver, minnesota, detroit and phoenix absolutely trump las vegas in terms of media markets fwiw

lets see if vegas can support a single fall/winter/spring team before we even bother with the nba talk. imo this is very much "point: nhl" and we have to wait and reassess in 5-10 years

That is because CSU owns the market.

I will concur with those warning UNLV faithful to be careful what you wish for.

Transplants are hell on local sports teams. The bay counties prolly have the largest amount, but Las Vegas has to be the carpetbagger capitol by percentage of population. 

#OnlySoMuchWealthToGoAround

12667677.jpeg