Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jwherb

Your 10 Favorite / Most Important Albums From Your High School Years

Apparently this is going around Facebook - I don't have an account, but I was shown this by my wife, and I wanted to participate, so I'll have to do it here.  I guess the thing is... post your 10 favorite albums from when you were in high school, whether they were your favorites, or the ones you listened to the most.  Only 10.  No need to editorialize, unless you want to.  Also, try not to be too revisionist, so for @halfmanhalfbronco, go ahead and put NSync, and @BSUTOP25, you can put Boyz II Men. 

For me, in no order:

• Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie...
  • Nirvana - In Utero
  • Pearl Jam - Vitology
  • Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
  • Fugazi - Red Medicine
  • Sonic Youth - Experimental Trash, Jet Set, and No Star
  • Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash
  • Bad Religion - All Ages
  • Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

• Guns n'Roses - Appetite for Destruction 
  • Boyz n the Hood - soundtrack 
  • Metallica - Black 
  • Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Fade to Black still one of the greatest songs ever) 
  • Pink Floyd - the Wall (way before I went to high school but I listened to it all through out high school) 
  • NWA - Straight Outta Compton
  • Tone Loc - Lōc-ed After Dark
  • Pearl Jam - Ten
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
  • Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I was in high school during the age of LimeWire where a computer was sacrificed to the Peer2Peer sharing gods for 6000-7000 free songs.  Remember buying used computers for $100-150 bucks for the sole purpose of trashing it and importing songs to itunes.  So albums were not as important as artists.

Nas- Illmatic

Tupac- bits from every album

Nirvana- MTV unplugged

The entire Mac Dre discography

Johny Cash- American IV-the man comes around

Red Hot Chili Pepers- By the way.

Andre Nickatina- bits from all albums

Eminem- Bits from all albums.

Mob Figaz- C Bo's Mob Figaz

Wu Tang Clan- Enter the Wu Tang and Wu Tang forever.  

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:
  • Metallica - Black 
  • Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Fade to Black still one of the greatest songs ever) 
  • Pink Floyd - the Wall (way before I went to high school but I listened to it all through out high school) 
  • Pearl Jam - Ten

Wow, If I was to make a top 30 list all of these would get a mention aside from GnR.  Just never a big fan.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wow, If I was to make a top 30 list all of these would get a mention aside from GnR.  Just never a big fan.

GnR is simply a love it or hate it band. I love every song on the Appetite album. 

Ah, these type of threads bring me back to happier times. Back before cell phones, continuous war, and when I used to get burns on my shoulders from the ankles of Capital High girls. Thanks for taking us down memory lane @Jwherb

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

GnR is simply a love it or hate it band. I love every song on the Appetite album. 

Ah, these type of threads bring me back to happier times. Back before cell phones, continuous war, and when I used to get burns on my shoulders from the ankles of Capital High girls. Thanks for taking us down memory lane @Jwherb

dude you just took almost word for word the post I was typing.

My favorite albums in HS were:

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness

Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest of Times

Some artists I like for singles but wouldnt buy albums for were Akon, Timberlake, Foo Fighters.

But my "song" from HS and everything that comes along with that was:

and honorable mention:

I remember sneaking down to the green belt to a few areas that were nearly impossible to get to, our secret campfire spots.  We would have 7-8 of my closest homies and 7-8 of my best female friends that I love to this day and bring a few cases of beer, a battery I pod docking station and bump these songs while acting ridiculous.  After the beer was done or near done we would find spots in the trees and hump each others brains out. then slowly recommune around the fire before passing out under the warm summer stars.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I remember sneaking down to the green belt to a few areas that were nearly impossible to get to, our secret campfire spots.  We would have 7-8 of my closest homies and 7-8 of my best female friends that I love to this day and bring a few cases of beer, a battery I pod docking station and bump these songs while acting ridiculous.  After the beer was done or near done we would find spots in the trees and hump each others brains out. then slowly recommune around the fire before passing out under the warm summer stars.

For Boise High kids, it was going into the North End or up to the foothills to do that shit. I lived in SE Boise and would have went to Timberline but graduated before it became a school. iPods wouldn't get invented for another decade.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The Who - Who's Next

Led Zeppelin - IV

Springsteen - Born to Run

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Elton John - Good Bye Yellow Brick Road

CSNY - Deja Vu

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Allaman Brothers - At Fillmore East

59 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Apparently this is going around Facebook - I don't have an account, but I was shown this by my wife, and I wanted to participate, so I'll have to do it here.  I guess the thing is... post your 10 favorite albums from when you were in high school, whether they were your favorites, or the ones you listened to the most.  Only 10.  No need to editorialize, unless you want to.  Also, try not to be too revisionist, so for @halfmanhalfbronco, go ahead and put NSync, and @BSUTOP25, you can put Boyz II Men. 

For me, in no order:

• Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie...
  • Nirvana - In Utero
  • Pearl Jam - Vitology
  • Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
  • Fugazi - Red Medicine
  • Sonic Youth - Experimental Trash, Jet Set, and No Star
  • Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash
  • Bad Religion - All Ages
  • Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock

39 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:
  • Metallica - Black 
  • Pearl Jam - Ten

How do you guys do the "single space" post?

17 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

For Boise High kids, it was going into the North End or up to the foothills to do that shit. I lived in SE Boise and would have went to Timberline but graduated before it became a school. iPods wouldn't get invented for another decade.

The iPod came out in 2001 or 2002 I think.   We used to visit rocky canyon road and up 8th street as well as it was less likely to get busted for larger groups.  But with our small close nit group of 12-18 people, sometimes as few as 5 or 6 the tucked away spots on the green belt offered more fun.  Skim boarding and bunji boarding during the day and skinny dipping and water fights at night.  Got busted a few times by the cops but we knew the areas so well nobody ever got caught after they ran.  One time in the summer we heard a shout the cops were coming through the wooded area (this spot known as the "bone yard" took about 10 minutes to reach) 8 of us all hung onto a an air mattress and were on the other side of the river by the time they reached our spot.  They looked at us and waved.  It was classic.

Guest RoscoesDad

* Big Country - The Crossing 

* Bad Religion - Suffer

* Social Distortion - Prison Bound 

* The Police - Regatta de Blanc

* U2 - War

* DJ Quick - Balance and Options

* Too Short - Born to Mack

* LL Cool J - I'm Bad

* Jane's Addiction - Ritual 

* Bob Marley - take yer pick

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The Who - Who's Next

Led Zeppelin - IV

Springsteen - Born to Run

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Elton John - Good Bye Yellow Brick Road

CSNY - Deja Vu

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Allaman Brothers - At Fillmore East

Great list... all timer right here. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The iPod came out in 2001 or 2002 I think.   We used to visit rocky canyon road and up 8th street as well as it was less likely to get busted for larger groups.  But with our small close nit group of 12-18 people, sometimes as few as 5 or 6 the tucked away spots on the green belt offered more fun.  Skim boarding and bunji boarding during the day and skinny dipping and water fights at night.  Got busted a few times by the cops but we knew the areas so well nobody ever got caught after they ran.  One time in the summer we heard a shout the cops were coming through the wooded area (this spot known as the "bone yard" took about 10 minutes to reach) 8 of us all hung onto a an air mattress and were on the other side of the river by the time they reached our spot.  They looked at us and waved.  It was classic.

You were the f-ckers we were trying to catch and humiliate - the dipsh*ts in the foothills when you could obviously tell they didn't "belong" there, or prowling about in the cottonwoods by the river building teepees and cairns. 

You must be about 8-10 years younger?

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Mudhoney- Superfuzz Bigmuff

Nirvana- In Utero

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Misfits- Earth A.D.

Led Zeppelin II

Beatles- White Album

Soundgarden- Superunknown

Circle Jerks- Group Sex

Stones- Sticky Fingers

Iggy Pop- Raw Power

And 

Jurassic 5- Power in Numbers

I just kept DK and Misfits from my 10.  They'd make top 20.  I played the hell out of Give Me Convenience... ,Static Age, and II.

2 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

You were the f-ckers we were trying to catch and humiliate - the dipsh*ts in the foothills when you could obviously tell they didn't "belong" there, or prowling about in the cottonwoods by the river building teepees and cairns. 

You must be about 8-10 years younger?

Oh yea.  That was us.  Multiple forts, paintball arenas, everything was built.  You could tell it was us if you found the home made bongs, burnt beer cans and bags with the corners ripped off them.  Nobody could catch us.  We were ghosts.  Stoned ghosts. I am 25.  We are all now between 23 ad 26.

Guest RoscoesDad

I am guessing @UNLV2001 list looks something like this (i kid):

Gordon Lightfoot (Sundown = highly underrated!)

Joan Baez

Crosby Stills and Nash

Starship

CCR

The Carpenters

Captain and Tenile

Ashford and Simpson

Cat Stevens

Beach Boys