Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Diego St at UNLV

Opening editorial: :D

Not too long ago this topic would draw many fans from both schools who would be primed for insightful commentary, stinging snark & "carnal motherly frivolity"............ but not sure Aztec fans are engaged, as the fair weather of recent Aztec seasons has turned to stormy weather and, alas, the bruised ego that down times bring, has brought a once proud & loud fan base to it's knees and the Aztec Nation sits in stunned silence contemplating the possible realities of things to come post-Fisher on the Mesa...........while Rebel faithful trudge thru the ruins of the post-Rice era looking longingly at this band aid season unfolds, with hopes for a biblical resurrection by Marvin Mezies not seen since Lazarus rose form the tomb............regardless, I solider on with the game notes thread!  

Matchup San Diego State (10-7, 2-3 Mountain West) at UNLV (9-9, 2-3 Mountain West)
Date Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Time 7:00 p.m.
Site Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV ESPN3 (Trey Bender, Richie Schueler)
Radio ESPN Radio 1100 AM/100.9 FM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith)
Audio UNLV Gameday App & UNLVRebels.com
Stats Gametracker at UNLVRebels.com

UNLV leads the all-time series 35-29  -  San Diego State has won each of the last eight meetings overall, including five straight at the Thomas & Mack Center

UNLV is 21-14 all-time at home against San Diego State

UNLV is 7-4 at home this year

UNLV has posted an all-time record of 465-105 (.816) in the Thomas & Mack since it opened in 1983.

UNLV is 338-145 (.700) all-time against teams that currently make up the Mountain West

San Diego State started MW play 0-3, but has won two straight, both at home: vs. San José State (76-61) last Tuesday and vs. Utah State (74-55) on Saturday

The Aztecs are 0-5 in true road games this season

Head coach Steve Fisher is in his 26th full season as a college head coach with a career record of 561-284 (.664) and is in his 18th season at San Diego State with a mark of 377-202 (.651)

Jovan Mooring leads the Mountain West in assists for conference-only games with 5.6 apg -  Over his last five games he has turned in averages of 12.0 ppg, 5.6 apg, 1.8 to/gm, 2.0 spg and has shot 45.5 percent from 3-point range. In addition, he has drawn five charges in the last two games.

In UNLV’s 18 games this season, it has had six different players lead the team in scoring and eight different guys lead in rebounding

Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 992 games played.

Against New Mexico UNLV trailed by three with 3:30 left to play, but finished the game on a 10-2 run

Prior to winning at The Pit, UNLV had lost four of five games

After allowing New Mexico to shoot 55.6 percent from the floor in the first half, UNLV’s defense tightened up as the Lobos shot just 39.1 percent after the break, including 1 of 7 on 3-pointers

Kris Clyburn had 0 points vs New Mexico, the only time he has not scored in a game and did not take a shot in 6 minutes on the court

Christian Jones is 10-10 from the FT line in his last two games

Jones scoring over his last four games has been 15, 6, 17, 9

Mooring is scoring at a season high 9.6 ppg

Uche Ofoegbu had a season high 14 points against New Mexico

Jalen Poyser is 83 points away from 500 in his career

Poyser's scoring average is at a season low 13.3 ppg and has steadily declined since Dec 3rd when it was at 17.5 ppg

For the season Poyser is the only player averaging 30+ minutes playing time

In MWC games Mooring is the only player getting 30+ minutes playing time 

Poyser is #1 in scoring for the season and 3rd in MWC games

Tyrell Green is #2 in scoring for the season and 5th in MWC games

Mooring is #4 in scoring for the season and #1 in MWC games

Clyburn leads the team with 110 rebounds

In MWC games UNLV is shooting 36.4% from the field while MWC opponents are shooting 48.5%

In MWC games UNLV has taken 17 more FG attempts but has made 30 fewer FG's than opponents

The opponent has shot a better FG% than UNLV isn five straight games

When UNLV gets to the NCAA Tournament 50% of the time UNLV gets to the Sweet 16

The fact the game is on ESPN3 speaks volumes about how far the two programs have fallen. That said, LV01 may not have noticed, but viewing the schools' demise over the last few years, his is considerably closer to hitting rock bottom.

Boom goes the dynamite.

As others have said in other threads, SDSU is starting to play better. This team is a work in progress.  Izundu took an elbow to the forehead against SJSU last week and ever since, he's shown more aggressiveness in the low post. He seems to be playing "bigger". Pope's return Saturday night was a relief. He played well.  Shrigley still isn't 100% but he's contributing. We'll see. I think we get our first road win tomorrow night.

as to "fair weather"; our house was 80- 90% full both games last week.  the student section was probably 70% full.

Yours?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

41 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The fact the game is on ESPN3 speaks volumes about how far the two programs have fallen. That said, LV01 may not have noticed, but viewing the schools' demise over the last few years, his is considerably closer to hitting rock bottom.

We already hit it.

I'd say when Beard left after 1 week for his "dream job"

The news that pretty much nobody was coming back.

That's as bottom as you can get in a program like UNLV.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

24 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

As others have said in other threads, SDSU is starting to play better. This team is a work in progress.  Izundu took an elbow to the forehead against SJSU last week and ever since, he's shown more aggressiveness in the low post. He seems to be playing "bigger". Pope's return Saturday night was a relief. He played well.  Shrigley still isn't 100% but he's contributing. We'll see. I think we get our first road win tomorrow night.

as to "fair weather"; our house was 80- 90% full both games last week.  the student section was probably 70% full.

Yours?

Ours isn't a suprise.

SDSU's season has been. Many, including myself, thought this might become the best SDSU team ever.

That being said SDSU has a chance to make that Green Bay Packers run. They still have the best talent top to bottom and while they can't get an at large...the MWCT is up for grabs.

More depth than Reno. Better coaching than UNM.
SDSU is still the favorites in my eyes.

the aztecs will steadily climb back to the top of the mw, and i think we lose tomorrow night by about 15. every year that the aztecs start out slow, at some point it's like there is a switch that is hit and they go on to win most of their remaining games. it's just the way it works.

23 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Fisher with some high praise for UNLV and Menzies.

"They are the #1 brand in our league."

fisher gets it. "when they're good, it helps all of us."

so do the cbssports guys, to be honest. they often talk about unlv's brand.

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

fisher gets it. "when they're good, it helps all of us."

so do the cbssports guys, to be honest. they often talk about unlv's brand.

The truth is this year the bottom is at its best. Everyone nearly top 200.

If you had SDSU, UNLV and UNM in their good spots, top 50...this would be best year ever, instead of worst.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

the aztecs will steadily climb back to the top of the mw, and i think we lose tomorrow night by about 15. every year that the aztecs start out slow, at some point it's like there is a switch that is hit and they go on to win most of their remaining games. it's just the way it works.

Yep.  I'm predicting a pretty convincing SDSU victory.

12 minutes ago, FLBookworm said:

Fish doesn't look too well. Hopefully he'll come back for at least another year...

early on in the season i would have been surprised to see him finish out THIS season.

200.gif#3

but the guy will probably outlast us all.

200.gif#8

I think he'll coach until Mark is no longer able to contribute.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I think the Aztecs have gotten their swag back...we were shaken...but not stirred...don't see us losing another game this season...unless Pope goes back out....then it'll be a dog fight...the only missing piece to the puzzle is Monteque Gill...if this guy gets it going like he can...then nothing will stop us....

11 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I think he'll coach until Mark is no longer able to contribute.

I think this might be it unless SDSU just runs the table.

This season and the noise and criticism surrounding this season is probably taking a toll on him.

10 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

I think the Aztecs have gotten their swag back...we were shaken...but not stirred...don't see us losing another game this season...unless Pope goes back out....then it'll be a dog fight...the only missing piece to the puzzle is Monteque Gill...if this guy gets it going like he can...then nothing will stop us....

exactly this. and then it's game over, once everybody is healthy, or close to it.

There are two major problems with the team:

1) The coaches were all in with Pope as the focus this year. There was no plan B. It won't surprise me at all if he decides to sit again.

2) Lack of toughness. Aztec teams over the last decade were money in tight games. These guys wilt. Even though this is the most talented roster ever they just don't hang when it gets tough. Previous Aztec teams would have never blown the leads we had against AZ St. (who are bad IMO) and New Mexico.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say