Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Diego St at UNLV

Marvin Menzies quotes:

"Frustrated. Sad. When you play as well as we did in Albuquerque... We took a couple steps back in some areas."

"We had a pretty good first half and I was anticipating the same in the second half."

"Right now, our players aren't consistent. I'm going to have to do some psychology. "

"When you've got a team like that on the ropes, you can't keep swinging at their arms. You've got to land some punches."

Menzies on Mooring fouling out: "He's got to be more disciplined. And I don't want to hear you didn't foul. You reached."

Menzies on Baxter: "He's got a bit of a groin injury." It flared up on him at shootaround      --------Okay....was kinda worried he was in trouble. Baxter is a big part of this programs future and he matches up well against teams like SDSU.

"Onward and upward. This coaching staff will never quit and these players will never quit. We will play better. I guarantee you."

"I don't think anyone's frazzled. I think San Diego State's a better team and they beat us. Let's be real about this."

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

15 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

He won mostly because of Krugers guys. Just like his 1st 2 years and best seasons.

Krugers guys had toughness those 7th placed talented teams didn't.

Fact.  They won three games in a row against the Aztecs.  Once Kruger's players were gone it went downhill fast.

44 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Leave that shit on twitter dude.

Fisher is their Tark.

That's the truth. You watch him game in and game out. He's as engaged on the sideline and in TOs as any coach in this league. He is not the problem with this year's team. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Menzies quotes are awesome. No BS. I saw some great things from Menzies tonight. Defense was really good. Used a strange match up zone type defense.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

i like the way menzies handles it all with honesty but not brutality. he's earned himself a few years of relief given the situation he was handed

i'm sure deep down he's thinking and he knows this team just doesn't have the talent or chemistry to compete but he takes every moment and every game as a chance to improve this group of players. no excuses, no looking forward. just every moment a teaching moment as much for himself as the kids. i have no idea how menzies will do as the head man at UNLV but i have no doubt he'll leave to a round of applause at the end of it

I'm not surprised by the result. I was hoping for better play in the second half, but some guys went back to "hero ball." It's gonna take a season or two for Menzies to put his culture in place, but I really like what he is trying to do with the program.

10 hours ago, Dirtball said:

Menzies quotes are awesome. No BS. I saw some great things from Menzies tonight. Defense was really good. Used a strange match up zone type defense.

The defense has improved a ton over the course of the season. Seeing players get better instead of worse over the course of a season is such a refreshing change.

Things that have shocked me over the course of this season:

• Green and Clyburn have become serious liabilities. They were both looking like studs in the OOC. Clyburn still brings it on the boards and on D, but if Green can't hit his shots, he doesn't bring anything else.
  • Dembele is quickly becoming an offensive weapon with some post moves. He's a legit starter now.
  • Mooring is the absolute key to the offense. I always thought it would be Poyser this season.
  • Uche can actually score. Green can't. Totally opposite from the OOC.

Two positives I take away from this game are Dembele and Zion Morgan. Both freshmen, the future looks bright to build around players like these guys (and Baxter if he can get healthy). Morgan is so quick and aggressive on D. He shot some lightning quick entry passes that DEMBELE ACTUALLY CAUGHT! Dembele is starting to figure out positioning and his hands have progressed tremendously. He was a force on D and finally had some nice post moves on offense. Next focus is FT's (yikes!)

It's hard taking positives from a loss, but it is what we will have to do this year. Although the losses burn (especially the ones we give back, or are in it just to wilt at the end), but the team progression is really fun to watch.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

The defense has improved a ton over the course of the season. Seeing players get better instead of worse over the course of a season is such a refreshing change.

Things that have shocked me over the course of this season:

• Green and Clyburn have become serious liabilities. They were both looking like studs in the OOC. Clyburn still brings it on the boards and on D, but if Green can't hit his shots, he doesn't bring anything else.
  • Dembele is quickly becoming an offensive weapon with some post moves. He's a legit starter now.
  • Mooring is the absolute key to the offense. I always thought it would be Poyser this season.
  • Uche can actually score. Green can't. Totally opposite from the OOC.

Two positives I take away from this game are Dembele and Zion Morgan. Both freshmen, the future looks bright to build around players like these guys (and Baxter if he can get healthy). Morgan is so quick and aggressive on D. He shot some lightning quick entry passes that DEMBELE ACTUALLY CAUGHT! Dembele is starting to figure out positioning and his hands have progressed tremendously. He was a force on D and finally had some nice post moves on offense. Next focus is FT's (yikes!)

It's hard taking positives from a loss, but it is what we will have to do this year. Although the losses burn (especially the ones we give back, or are in it just to wilt at the end), but the team progression is really fun to watch.

Poyser is really disappointing imo.  The team needs a go-to-guy and I thought he would be that guy.  This is literally an opportunity made in heaven for him to take over and be the man.  Oh well.   

Dembele was impressive.  I am excited to see him develop. 

This team has nice parts but no alphas who can be counted on every game and no on court leadership.  That hurts with consistency.

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

Poyser is really disappointing imo.  The team needs a go-to-guy and I thought he would be that guy.  This is literally an opportunity made in heaven for him to take over and be the man.  Oh well.   

Dembele was impressive.  I am excited to see him develop. 

This team has nice parts but no alphas who can be counted on every game and no on court leadership.  That hurts with consistency.

Think we have to give Poyser some rope here...........He was suddenly thrust into this position by mass defections from the program - Poyser might be that guy given time & over a few seasons of experience..........he would have been a role player had the roster been retained, but the poor guy along with Green were the only two returners who we as fans had any idea of their capabilities and naturally the focus might be on Poyser & Green. 

I think the Poyser & Green struggles are just products of two guys going from no playing time (Green) and 8 minutes (Poyser) to being suddenly tossed into being 30+ minute 'go to guys' - Poyer came in as a 4 year player who's time line was probably going to be his JR & SR seasons 

Guest RoscoesDad
35 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Think we have to give Poyser some rope here...........He was suddenly thrust into this position by mass defections from the program - Poyser might be that guy given time & over a few seasons of experience..........he would have been a role player had the roster been retained, but the poor guy along with Green were the only two returners who we as fans had any idea of their capabilities and naturally the focus might be on Poyser & Green. 

I think the Poyser & Green struggles are just products of two guys going from no playing time (Green) and 8 minutes (Poyser) to being suddenly tossed into being 30+ minute 'go to guys' - Poyer came in as a 4 year player who's time line was probably going to be his JR & SR seasons 

Fair enough.  But Poyser was a 4 star recruit.  Those aren't usually kids that need 3-4 years to be the man, especially on a roster that is talent deficient and needs a stud to take over.  If Menzies pulled a 4 star recruit now, that player would be looked at as a major game changer for the program not someone who needs a few years to develop.

6 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Fair enough.  But Poyser was a 4 star recruit.  Those aren't usually kids that need 3-4 years to be the man, especially on a roster that is talent deficient and needs a stud to take over.  If Menzies pulled a 4 star recruit now, that player would be looked at as a major game changer for the program not someone who needs a few years to develop.

Plus he is a coach's son. I just expected better and smarter overall play. He's the biggest "hero ball" offender.

57 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Amazing that poyser was a 4 * - Wasn't Dwayne Morgan a 4* too - Recruiting rankings make mistakes :unsure:

16 hours ago, NewEraRebs said:

We're better off than they are at Coach that's for sure.  Fisher is soft and old and is all they have ever been. 

Steve "Low T" Fisher

Major fail. So much it will take several good posts for you to get back to a 0 rep.

Boom goes the dynamite.