Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClevelandBrown

Can someone explain what happened at UNM vs CSU?

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

That assistant coach did not handle the situation properly.

I don't care that Omogbo is over 18, the coach in this scenario should have recognized that he is the professional, the teacher and "adult" in this situation and he should have attempted to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it with the tough guy act. I discipline this guy If I'm Krebs.

Omogbo needs a time-out as well. 

The assistant coach did the same thing last year.  "He's a grown-ass man!"

It’s likely that Ombogo instigated the altercation. But let's add some context, A year ago, he's the young man who lost his entire family in a house fire in Maryland. He’s obviously still trying to process that horrendous tragedy.None of us can possibly understand the issues with which he's dealing.

That doesn’t give him a free pass to take it out on others, but Rencher is a 43-year-old coach. His job is supposed to be shaping young men into good players and good citizens. His response should have been to board the team bus. Not to stand there engaging in smack with the player. He’s supposed to be the bigger person. No matter who said what to whom, the coach is in the wrong.

And it's getting media attention for the same reason anything does in today's world of journalism...Good video...

38 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

obviously missing the beginning of the confrontation.  "After the game, walking out of the athletic center towards home, the same New Mexico coach was standing right outside the door, and we made eye contact, and he smirked at me and said, 'Take that L, boy,'

yep, that would set almost anybody off. i'm not sure how that is getting missed.

the coach is an idiot.

I said t before in another thread but it bears repeating here, UNM basketball has a culture problem right now and I'm not sure they can maintain any success with the current coaches. 

32 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I said t before in another thread but it bears repeating here, UNM basketball has a culture problem right now and I'm not sure they can maintain any success with the current coaches. 

Both these programs have a culture problem right now I would say.

We are not going to get an unbiased account of what happened before, during or after the game but neither party looks good in this to me and the issues with both of these programs go well beyond the last game.

2 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

I'm surprised this is getting national attention

Coaches are supposed to be role models.  You are not supposed to talk trash to another teams players.  Ever.  That coach is talking trash and instigating to another player who is mad and upset.  That is very news worthy, because it's despicable behavior for a coach.

Put into context with getting ejected, these guys deserve to fired on Monday.

17 minutes ago, WindowCoug said:

Put into context with getting ejected, these guys deserve to fired on Monday.

Coug, the context is that they were ejected only for stepping onto the court to hold back some UNM players when things went South, that's an automatic. In other words, doing their job.

Should some players been thrown as well? Certainly, but that's immaterial to your comment. There's plenty of blame to go around here, but don't make stuff up.

Guest RoscoesDad

I have coached in hs, aau and youth city league.  This UNM coach was way out of line.  No coach should ever engage in trash talk with a player. This asshole was pushing it and egging the kid on.  What should happen with the kid is separate.  One guy is paid to be a professional.  The coach was unprofessional and was actively trying to provoke another teams player.  No excuse for that at all and trying to blame eustachy is lame and lazy, it is not equivalent.  

39 minutes ago, jdw said:

Coug, the context is that they were ejected only for stepping onto the court to hold back some UNM players when things went South, that's an automatic. In other words, doing their job.

Should some players been thrown as well? Certainly, but that's immaterial to your comment. There's plenty of blame to go around here, but don't make stuff up.

So they were calmly deescalating the situation?  That seems out of character and would be a very unusual ejection .  Also another assistant was reportedly talking trash to CSU players on the way off the court after the game.

Colorado State reporter Keegan Pope tweeted that a New Mexico assistant had this to say to the opponents: “Maybe you guys should focus more on studying and less on domestic violence. ... At least we don't have a bunch of wife beaters on the court."

They should be fired on Monday.

42 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

I have coached in hs, aau and youth city league.  This UNM coach was way out of line.  No coach should ever engage in trash talk with a player. This asshole was pushing it and egging the kid on.  What should happen with the kid is separate.  One guy is paid to be a professional.  The coach was unprofessional and was actively trying to provoke another teams player.  No excuse for that at all and trying to blame eustachy is lame and lazy, it is not equivalent.  

i don't know if anybody else heard eustachy saying 'whoa, whoa, whoa' to omogbo before he turned around and yelled at rencher. who,

rencher, btw, was talking trash to the csu players on his way off the court.

C2KuMYsUoAAYRCx.jpg

and any guesses which one sent this dm to TLL?

C2Lr4y-UAAQusXS.jpg:large

Annnnnnd DM of the night goes to this coach, well done! With that I'm done for tonight!

Guest RoscoesDad
8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i don't know if anybody else heard eustachy saying 'whoa, whoa, whoa' to omogbo before he turned around and yelled at rencher. who,

rencher, btw, was talking trash to the csu players on his way off the court.

C2KuMYsUoAAYRCx.jpg

any guesses which one sent this dm to TLL?

C2Lr4y-UAAQusXS.jpg:large

Yeah I think we know.  I have no dog in the fight.  What rankles me are unprofessional coaches that are adults and paid to know better.  Sure during a game you may have brief words with players or coaches but it shouldnt escalate to basically an entire coaching staff standing outside the lockerrooms for a confrontation, it's just totally poor form.  You get paid to walk away and be an adult.  Let the kid lose his marbles and take his 1 or 2 game suspension. 

At this point, it's very clear that UNM's coach is in the wrong all the way, no matter what the kid said to him. He, and in fact ANY team or its coaches, should know that when you're on the road, you get in, you play the game, and you get the hell out of there ASAP! If CSU has a situation in there gym, where both teams are in the same proximity to each other, words are gonna fly, things are gonna be said.

But again, UNM's players and coaches should know, to go immediately to the team bus, minus the chore of a coach or team manager making sure EVERYONE is on the bus... TO LEAVE!  There won't be any firings over this, but there certainly will be some reprimands, and official apologies, being issued from UNM first part of the week I would hope. Regardless of who said what to whom... UNM's coaches are in the wrong!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

11 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Yeah I think we know.  I have no dog in the fight.  What rankles me are unprofessional coaches that are adults and paid to know better.  Sure during a game you may have brief words with players or coaches but it shouldnt escalate to basically an entire coaching staff standing outside the lockerrooms for a confrontation, it's just totally poor form.  You get paid to walk away and be an adult.  Let the kid lose his marbles and take his 1 or 2 game suspension. 

the guy shouldn't have said one word. at any time.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

UNM and CSU both have serious culture problems within their respective programs, which allowed this situation to snowball into something that never should have happened. 

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

At this point, it's very clear that UNM's coach is in the wrong all the way, no matter what the kid said to him. He, and in fact ANY team or its coaches, should know that when you're on the road, you get in, you play the game, and you get the hell out of there ASAP! If CSU has a situation in there gym, where both teams are in the same proximity to each other, words are gonna fly, things are gonna be said.

But again, UNM's players and coaches should know, to go immediately to the team bus, minus the chore of a coach or team manager making sure EVERYONE is on the bus... TO LEAVE!  There won't be any firings over this, but there certainly will be some reprimands, and official apologies, being issued from UNM first part of the week I would hope. Regardless of who said what to whom... UNM's coaches are in the wrong!

I appreciate your perspective.  Disappointed in CSU too.  

5 minutes ago, Castle Ram said:

I appreciate your perspective.  Disappointed in CSU too.  

Agree.  Hopefully some lessons are learned from this.  Pretty much the HC's job to make sure lessons are learned.  Both teams.