Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Antisemitism or just anti Israel?

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330

The Synagogue this current one replaced was originally burned by Nazi's.

You would think attempting to burn down a Synagogue in Germany of all places would get more than just a suspended sentence.

Anti-Zionism isn't necessarily anti-Semitism, but burning down a religious building is a strong indication that there is some anti-Jewish religious sentiment here 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Anti-Zionism isn't necessarily anti-Semitism, but burning down a religious building is a strong indication that there is some anti-Jewish religious sentiment here 

What would you classify this as? 

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/neo-nazi-march-on-jews-planned-for-jan-15-in-whitefish-montana/2017/01/05/

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

I don't think we can separate the two.  A criticism can be a peaceful protest but burning a church is hatred. .

Offend/attack  Catholics/ religious/ Jews,  white males , cops, is OK ....Offend any other  minority, you are toast.

Anyone hear violins?

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

Proof in point?

Your comment was off point. Do you have the first clue about today's Germany and its politics? Probably not. But you never miss a chance to be a sanctimonious little victim, even when one thing has nothing to do with the other.

19 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330

The Synagogue this current one replaced was originally burned by Nazi's.

You would think attempting to burn down a Synagogue in Germany of all places would get more than just a suspended sentence.

Don't fool yourself about Germany. Yes, as a whole it has learned lessons from its past. But there remains an anti-Semitic undercurrent there. Add in a growing liberal anti-Zionist trend, and this sort of thing can happen.

I would assume here that the three would be prosecuted using anti-hate and/or anti-terrorism laws.

Just now, NVGiant said:

Don't fool yourself about Germany. Yes, as a whole it has learned lessons from its past. But there remains an anti-Semitic undercurrent there. Add in a growing liberal anti-Zionist trend, and this sort of thing can happen.

I would assume here that the three would be prosecuted using anti-hate and/or anti-terrorism laws.

Interesting.  I have been trying to do a better job keeping my pulse on Israel and that headline shocked me.  It seems much of Europe is becoming more and more divisive as well.  Not sure that should make us feel particularly better though.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Interesting.  I have been trying to do a better job keeping my pulse on Israel and that headline shocked me.  It seems much of Europe is becoming more and more divisive as well.  Not sure that should make us feel particularly better though.

It shouldn't. Europe is seeing the same, if not greater, rise in populism that we are. The difference is when Europe sees a dramatic rise in populism, history teaches us that shit gets real fast.

I'm getting off point myself, but Lefties will say that the danger is right-wing populism, but left-wing populism is every bit as dangerous.

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

The guys charged were Palestinian. Arabs are Semites too. We really need to be discussing if it's anti-Zionist or anti-Jewish. 

True. But that's the kind of nuance often missed when banging out a hasty post on an iPhone!

14 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

True. But that's the kind of nuance often missed when banging out a hasty post on an iPhone!

16 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The guys charged were Palestinian. Arabs are Semites too. We really need to be discussing if it's anti-Zionist or anti-Jewish. 

The term antisemitism only applies to Jews.  While a Semite is any group who spoke the Semitic languages.

The term antisemitism was created to designate anti Jewish sentiment in Europe in the late 19th century.  However I would agree technically speaking Palestinians should not be labeled antisemitic. Good point.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The term antisemitism only applies to Jews.  While a Semite is any group who spoke the Semitic languages.

The term antisemitism was created to designate anti Jewish sentiment in Europe in the late 19th century.  However I would agree technically speaking Palestinians should not be labeled antisemitic. Good point.

Yeah I looked it up and, though it's inaccurate, you are right it was coined to refer to the pogroms. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Meaning of words change as history and culture change. Should this word also change with history is a good question?  Look at gay. 100 years ago it meant happy now it means homosexual. The word has changed its meaning. There are probably others.

I wonder why anti-Semitism was used instead of anti-Jewish? My guess there were people of Jewish background who were not Jewish ala atheist. Although now you can be Jewish and atheist according to a Jewish girl I talked to, but could be since Jewish is also considered an ethnic group which is another can of worms. So my guess the definition of being Jewish has also changed over the years.

41 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Meaning of words change as history and culture change. Should this word also change with history is a good question?  Look at gay. 100 years ago it meant happy now it means homosexual. The word has changed its meaning. There are probably others.

I wonder why anti-Semitism was used instead of anti-Jewish? My guess there were people of Jewish background who were not Jewish ala atheist. Although now you can be Jewish and atheist according to a Jewish girl I talked to, but could be since Jewish is also considered an ethnic group which is another can of worms. So my guess the definition of being Jewish has also changed over the years.

From what I remember the words for Jew and Semite were used interchangeably in most European languages during that period.  In Europe at that time there were no other Semites aside from those of Jewish lineage.  As to weather or not the term should change, I think not.  It is very clear what antisemitism means.  In addition if you change a word that defines a philosophy that has caused so much loss you run a risk of the average person losing historical perspective.  Due to the gravity of the nature of the word as currently understood I think its meaning will and should stay the same. 

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

From what I remember the words for Jew and Semite were used interchangeably in most European languages during that period.  In Europe at that time there were no other Semites aside from those of Jewish lineage.  As to weather or not the term should change, I think not.  It is very clear what antisemitism means.  In addition if you change a word that defines a philosophy that has caused so much loss you run a risk of the average person losing historical perspective.  Due to the gravity of the nature of the word as currently understood I think its meaning will and should stay the same. 

The web says something interesting at this link:

Interesting...

"However, back in the 1870s a German Jew-hater found he was not getting the kind of respect he wanted for his Jew-hating movement and he believed the term "anti-Semitism" sounded more genteel"

"It's a euphemism adopted by German Jew-haters in the 19th century because it sounded more "scientific"."

Interesting how liberals equate planning a march to burning down a church or synagogue.  Like calling someone a name equates to attacking them with violence. 

So if 3 guys tried to burn down a Muslim Mosque, they would not get suspended sentences.  This is why I don't support so called hate-crimes.  
If some racist guy shoots someone in the head because he's black, its somehow worse than shooting someone in the head to steal their money.  wtf is that? You want to deter the hate crime but not the robbery?