wolfan8431

Raiders to Las Vegas confirmed

26 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

big difference between Socal and Nocal Raider fans.  Nocal Raider fans will smear makeup on you when you bump into them.   Socal Raider fans will stab you.

Fans have become more aggressive in a lot of places. Dodgers games don't have close to the family feel they did when I was a kid since the lowlife fan factor has increased significantly. And I hadn't attended a Chargers game in about 20 years until a pre-season game in 2015. Similar to the Dodgers, I was surprised at how many obnoxious Chargers fans there were tailgating. Way more highly tanked younger guys than there used to be. Thank God for marijuana legalization. Maybe going forward those young guys will satisfy themselves with just smoking a little weed before games and get mellow rather than rowdy.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

32 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-nfl-teams-with-the-most-fan-arrests/3/

56 arrests over 2 games with the chargers in a single season...yeah, they're super mellow.

Like I mentioned, the party atmosphere that 'Vegas promotes is going to be like a candy store to some of those guys. 

• Like 1

The Raiders to Las Vegas is really going to work well in my opinion.  Nevada is the Silver State and "Battle Born" so it fits into the state's image and I believe that Al Davis would have totally moved to Las Vegas in the 1970s if the league would have let him. Raiders fans have always been somewhat dispersed because they were always in a market with another professional football team since their founding in the American Football League.  

The entire state of Nevada is fully embracing the Raiders.  There is no hometown group against them as there was with fans of the 49ers and Rams.  I was working in Washoe county last fall and there are silver and blue Wolfpack logos everywhere and the silver and black Raider logo goes well with that.  Las Vegas is where the team will be located so it is inherently supported by everyone.

It's probably the most embarrassing thing ever for Sheldon Adelson to have lobbied at the local and state level for the Raiders stadium and then be cut out of the deal completely.  He goes from being ten feet tall in Nevada politics to miniscule.  I may be letting their self produced  podcast influence me too much but I actually think in the grand scheme of things being involved with Goldman Sachs is not as bad as the alternative for the Raiders or generally.    Adelson spent a WHOLE lot of political capital to so that he MIGHT get a monorail stop at the Sands convention center.  Certainly hilarious from a schadenfreude perspective.

If fans have to fly in and stay at a hotel then take the monorail or a cab to the game, you are going to weed out the most rowdy fans who aren't local.  Las Vegas pregame might include some tailgating but a whole lot of people are getting up Sunday after partying Saturday.  The locals aren't any more inclined to fight than any other locals.

If anything 49ers versus Rams will be the worst games for fights because those logos are associated with Nortenos and Surenos respectively.  The Dodgers have been the biggest Sureno associated logo for decades while the 49ers have both the Norteno and Hells Angel Red which are associated with those issues in Northern California.  They stopped playing preseason 49er games against the Raiders because it was such a major convention of those fans from throughout the state.

6 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The Raiders to Las Vegas is really going to work well in my opinion.  Nevada is the Silver State and "Battle Born" so it fits into the state's image and I believe that Al Davis would have totally moved to Las Vegas in the 1970s if the league would have let him. Raiders fans have always been somewhat dispersed because they were always in a market with another professional football team since their founding in the American Football League.  

The entire state of Nevada is fully embracing the Raiders.  There is no hometown group against them as there was with fans of the 49ers and Rams.  I was working in Washoe county last fall and there are silver and blue Wolfpack logos everywhere and the silver and black Raider logo goes well with that.  Las Vegas is where the team will be located so it is inherently supported by everyone.

It's probably the most embarrassing thing ever for Sheldon Adelson to have lobbied at the local and state level for the Raiders stadium and then be cut out of the deal completely.  He goes from being ten feet tall in Nevada politics to miniscule.  I may be letting their self produced  podcast influence me too much but I actually think in the grand scheme of things being involved with Goldman Sachs is not as bad as the alternative for the Raiders or generally.    Adelson spent a WHOLE lot of political capital to so that he MIGHT get a monorail stop at the Sands convention center.  Certainly hilarious from a schadenfreude perspective.

i have gotten the impression that adelson is trying to play hardball, and that HE might be opting out, and that's why there is talk of him not being involved going forward. the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

We all know Adelson started the stadium thing to counter the convention center expansion.........meaning he wanted the stadium to replace the convention center expansion, but as you mention, the state pushed both forward so the stadium scheme Adelson dreamed up didn't kill the convention center expansion.......and now Adleson probably doesn't give a flock about the Raiders.

For one thing Adelson is so old he's got no long term need to own any pro team, much less one that is probably 3 years away from playing in the new stadium...........the diversion tactic by Adelson failed.......now he's having to fiddle flock around with Davis & the Raiders...............the out for Adelson is to just bail out & let Goldman Sachs take over the Adelson $650M funding 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I stopped reading at Spanos allegedly having been forced to move by the other owners. I don't buy that for a minute. Word is Dean didn't want to move because he's nearing the end of the trail and likes SD but his two sons who will inherit the team DID want to leave. Pundits have said the value of the franchise will at least double in value and maybe triple in value. You and I might be fine with having several hundred million in the bank like Dean's kids but they aren't. They both want to be billionaires ASAP. As to the other owners, those same pundits say the majority of owners didn't want two teams in L.A. county since having one in L.A. county and one in nearby Orange county wasn't working and that makes complete sense.

I'm still also remaining skeptical of what he believes will happen because I don't see how the NFL leaves that much public money on the table. But if the owners shoot down a move to LV in March, then it would be really hard to not see what he is claiming as the truth.

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

If fans have to fly in and stay at a hotel then take the monorail or a cab to the game, you are going to weed out the most rowdy fans who aren't local.  Las Vegas pregame might include some tailgating but a whole lot of people are getting up Sunday after partying Saturday.  The locals aren't any more inclined to fight than any other locals.

If anything 49ers versus Rams will be the worst games for fights because those logos are associated with Nortenos and Surenos respectively.  The Dodgers have been the biggest Sureno associated logo for decades while the 49ers have both the Norteno and Hells Angel Red which are associated with those issues in Northern California.  They stopped playing preseason 49er games against the Raiders because it was such a major convention of those fans from throughout the state.

I have a suspicion Davis is risking ownership to Goldman Sachs to complete the deal.  He doesn't have enough equity to pull it off by himself.  They're putting up the portion that Adelson planned to loan him.  If Al was alive he'd probably slap Mark upside the head for being beholden to anyone when it involves ownership.    

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I haven't been following too closely, but what is the latest on the stadium? Have they chosen a location?

They have a 1a and 1b that are practically right next to each other.

1a is most likely because 1b is close to airport runways.

1a is Right across the 15 and Mandalay Bay. 15 and Russell. About 65 acre dirt lot.

• Like 1

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Just read an article with our AD saying if the Raiders want to come to Vegas early that UNLV is prepared to make the necessary upgrades to Sam Boyd Stadium to accommodate them.  

So, all of a sudden we have money coming out of our butt?  Raiders need to pick up the cost.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nfl-vegas/unlv-athletic-director-sam-boyd-stadium-ready-and-prepared-if-raiders-come-early

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Just read an article with our AD saying if the Raiders want to come to Vegas early that UNLV is prepared to make the necessary upgrades to Sam Boyd Stadium to accommodate them.  

So, all of a sudden we have money coming out of our butt?  Raiders need to pick up the cost.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nfl-vegas/unlv-athletic-director-sam-boyd-stadium-ready-and-prepared-if-raiders-come-early

i'm sure they've stashed away a few dollars for any future type of stadium so paving a parking lot and putting lipstick on a pig to facilitate the use of $2b venue for literally pennies on the dollar isn't going to sink the program

5 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

I imagine they expect significantly increased revenue by way of tickets, concessions, rent, etc. in that scenario and those monies would pay for the upgrades. Just a guess, though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TK_05 said:

i'm sure they've stashed away a few dollars for any future type of stadium so paving a parking lot and putting lipstick on a pig to facilitate the use of $2b venue for literally pennies on the dollar isn't going to sink the program

I don't see us doing the parking lot.  The paved area around Sam Boyd is owned by UNLV but, the non-paved area is owned by the County.  Where they need to put money, and it has been an issue for a long time, is the locker rooms.  We have a good field that won't need to be changed and we can probably add some non-permanent seating.  If we had extra money then we should have done the locker rooms a long time ago.  I would demo that entire building and rebuild something that would look more like New Mexico's end zone building.  Add some seating on top and a cocktail lounge.  :D  And, move the scoreboard above the building.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, 4UNLV said:

oh i know, i was referring to whether it is 8000 lobos or 8000 cowboys at the mw tournament. it's definitely been cowboys the last 2 or 3 years, but after unm moves on from neal the lobos will start showing up again. and btw, i've never seen much of a problem during the nfr, those cowboys seem to be pretty well behaved.

the raider fans coming into town will get away with as much as metro lets them. if metro makes a statement from the get go, it might quell some of that raider 'thuggery'. vegas has too much to lose to let that crap happen.

Raider Fans are just a Show not thuggery just like the Fremont Experience.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Would love to see it happen!  It seems like a match made in heaven or hell or something..., but it just seems like it is meant to be.

For a lot of years, the Raiders organization has been held back by:

1. Being stuck in crumbling dumps of stadiums.

2. Playing in an area of town in Oakland, then LA, then back to Oackland, that many people hardly would dare park their car.

I think this will be great for their franchise and great for Vega$ if they can get a shiny new stadium built on the south end of the strip.  I believe it can also be good for UNLV and the MWC if managed well.  

I also think a beautiful outdoor stadium built right for the Vega$ climate has huge potential with concerts, moto-X, truck/tractor pulls, etc., 

Because it is a such a great entertainment destination, the Raiders in Vega$ will be a huge attraction and they will build a huge national fanbase quickly and make tons of money.  I can see tickets quickly becoming a pretty hot commodity.

Although not for the city of Oakland, I'd say a match made in heaven. "Rebels," legalized gambling, "Sin City" you name it, LV has always been an outlaw town and the Raiders have always been an outlaw football franchise.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Although not for the city of Oakland, I'd say a match made in heaven. "Rebels," legalized gambling, "Sin City" you name it, LV has always been an outlaw town and the Raiders have always been an outlaw football franchise.

I would not mind seeing the Raider franchise try to distance itself a wee bit from some of the gangsta and thug image.

I think there are more $$ out there held by real Football fans looking for a team to cheer for than there are $$ out there with gang bangers and thugs looking for a team to cheer for.

Most of those types don't actually end up being very loyal or committed fans.  They buy or steal the jersey and the hat, but that is about it...

7 minutes ago, ag4fr said:

I would not mind seeing the Raider franchise try to distance itself a wee bit from some of the gangsta and thug image.

I think there are more $$ out there held by real Football fans looking for a team to cheer for than there are $$ out there with gang bangers and thugs looking for a team to cheer for.

Most of those types don't actually end up being very loyal or committed fans.  They buy or steal the jersey and the hat, but that is about it...

I don't know, I think a lot of the fans like that image; kinda like Harley owners and the biker gang image.