wolfan8431

Raiders to Las Vegas confirmed

2 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Hide the women and children.  Would have rather had the Chargers but beggars can't be choosers.

100% agree - I could see my self wearing Chargers gear............still not sure if I can get behind the Raiders 

Was a long time KC Chiefs fan.........but over the years my Chiefs fandom has faded.........so I could have adapted to the LV Chargers pretty quickly............but accepting the one NFL team I've despised for 46 years is another thing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

Not really a good thing for UNLV, but it is what it is. It gives us a new stadium in a central location to play in, but it puts a real ceiling on our growth potential, and our game days will look worse than SDSU's did at the Q.

It will be a recruiting boost over what we have, but we will struggle for community support. Definitely a mixed bag.

I say it's "iffy" for UNLV - New stadium might boost recruiting, but UNLV being G5 will have a ceiling in recruiting like every G5 program has.............. this stadium could be a trigger for a P5 to look at UNLV. If that happens then the situation is a win all around and the recruiting ceiling and other ceilings will be removed.

Negatives would be UNLV never get's a P4/5 invite...........then every ceiling stays in place and UNLV plays in a 1/4th to1/3rd filled stadium in a MWC 80% of the local population doesn't care about.........best upside is Sanchez gets UNLV going, the stadium boosts MWC caliber recruiting and UNLV becomes one of the better MWC programs playing in a half filled stadium which would mirror SDSU last season.

Bottom line is this could help a power conference take a look at UNLV & that's the best case outcome down the line

• Like 2

Guest RoscoesDad
14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

100% agree - I could see my self wearing Chargers gear............still not sure if I can get behind the Raiders 

Was a long time KC Chiefs fan.........but over the years my Chiefs fandom has faded.........so I could have adapted to the LV Chargers pretty quickly............but accepting the one NFL team I've despised for 46 years is another thing 

I am a niners fan and could care less about wither team.  However I do think I would have been able to get into the chargers. It's mostly just a fan related thing. I am afraid that locals are glossing over how many problems the raiders fan base is going to bring with them. Those neanderthals running loose in vegas for an entire weekend just has bad idea written all over it.  

Just now, RoscoesDad said:

I am a niners fan and could care less about wither team.  However I do think I would have been able to get into the chargers. It's mostly just a fan related thing. I am afraid that locals are glossing over how many problems the raiders fan base is going to bring with them. Those neanderthals running loose in vegas for an entire weekend just has bad idea written all over it.  

If people had issues with the NBA All-Star crowd, then I can't see them liking the Raiders contingent - Bail $$ will aid local coffers I guess :unsure:

Would be much easier for me to accept the Raiders if I hadn't been a long time fan of their main rival - NFL rivalries are nothing like they used to be, but it's hard to just flip the switch on 40+ years of my personal history where Chiefs vs Raiders are concerned..............Chiefs vs Chargers never had the rivalry and would be an easier transition.

I'm a huge NFL fan, but I don't agree with teams holding cities hostage for stadium deals. Contrary to popular belief, an NFL team doesn't bring a truck load of revenue or quality jobs to its host city. These owners are billionaires, they should be building stadiums on their on dime, not on the backs of the tax payers who they will hold hostage down the road for a new deal. I feel bad for Raider and Charger fans. Both fan bases are very loyal and have filled their stadiums every Sunday despite the product on the field. The Raiders finally get their crap together and are winning again and they pay their fans back for their support by moving to Vegas. Shit ain't right, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. Congrats to Vegas for landing an NFL franchise. My condolences to the fans in SD and Oakland.

• Like 1

The NFL will be good for the city, it will not be all that great for UNLV. SDS will do much better when they build a on campus 50,000 seat stadium, that might make them attractive to a P-5 conference. UNLV should do the same thing.

If the Vegas bowl is going to grow it needs MWC schools to sell out the stadium not like what happened this year.

2 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Not a done deal.  They still have to get 23 other owners (besides Davis) to vote for it.

True...........and it's looking favorable

That would set up a vote of the owners to send the Raiders to Vegas during the late-March league meetings in Arizona -- with 24 votes needing to pass. The other option would be to call a special league meeting, which doesn't appear likely.

As for the support from the room of owners, it's described as making progress and gathering momentum. There isn't nearly the opposition some anticipated originally. And it continues to build, with some of the most prominent owners vocally in favor of it.

No sources would estimate a vote count, but it's headed in the right direction.

9 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

My initial thoughts........

The NFL, even though it's the Raiders will be good for Vegas.

The NFL in Vegas will not be good for UNLV football.

Not sure it will have any impact on UNLV FB ..........most LV doesn't care about UNLV FB with no NFL team, so adding one won't affect them at all  

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure it will have any impact on UNLV FB ..........most LV doesn't care about UNLV FB with no NFL team, so adding one won't affect them at all  

I'm referring to growing your program.  If you want to stay static then yes the NFL probably won't affect them.

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm referring to growing your program.  If you want to stay static then yes the NFL probably won't affect them.

Agree - UNLV won't grow much and most of the local population won't care unless UNLV gets into a power $$ conference.

Even if UNLV got to the level of Boise St most of the local population wouldn't care.

For the LV area you need to be P5 in FB...............BB is a different matter just due to the NCAAT where there is a chance for G5's

UNLV will have their 10-20% who will care and attend........might go to 30-40% if UNLV could get to a BSU level..........would go over 50% if UNLV landed in a Power conference.........only way UNLV would approach 85+% market support is if UNLV became like Alabama

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

As a season ticket holder the new stadium will be a lot shorter drive to the games for me.  :cheer:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Agree - UNLV won't grow much and most of the local population won't care unless UNLV gets into a power $$ conference.

Even if UNLV got to the level of Boise St most of the local population wouldn't care.

For the LV area you need to be P5 in FB...............BB is a different matter just due to the NCAAT where there is a chance for G5's

UNLV will have their 10-20% who will care and attend........might go to 30-40% if UNLV could get to a BSU level..........would go over 50% if UNLV landed in a Power conference.........only way UNLV would approach 85+% market support is if UNLV became like Alabama

Conference affiliation isn't all that relevant in college basketball.  Just ask Gonzaga.

Guest RoscoesDad
2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

My initial thoughts........

The NFL, even though it's the Raiders will be good for Vegas.

The NFL in Vegas will not be good for UNLV football.

Lived in vegas 26 years and totally disagree. This is a huge football market both college and pro. They may not be natives but we have a huge betting culture here that would eat up a good unlv program.  Tons of college fb fans in this market.  If unlv ever gets better they will have no problem getting 40k-50k per game.  In the short term it's a huge win for unlv with the boost in facilities.  

8 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Hide the women and children.  Would have rather had the Chargers but beggars can't be choosers.

Take it from a guy who was born and lived part of his life in the East Bay when the Raiders were there and who lived in Los Angeles most of the time they were there. Reports about thuggery among Raider fans isn't just rumor. These days even classy organizations like the Dodgers have some thug fans but nobody I'm aware of has as high a percentage of lowlife supporters as the Raiders.

Hide and women and children indeed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Take it from a guy who was born and lived part of his life in the East Bay when the Raiders were there and who lived in Los Angeles most of the time they were there. Reports about thuggery among Raider fans isn't just rumor. These days even classy organizations like the Dodgers have some thug fans but nobody I'm aware of has as high a percentage of lowlife supporters as the Raiders.

Hide and women and children indeed.

You have no idea how our local law enforcement agencies operate.  We just upped our sales tax to put an additional +250 officers on the resort corridor.  If you think assholes are going to have their way with Vegas in a top tourist destination you don't know us at all.  

1 hour ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

You have no idea how our local law enforcement agencies operate.  We just upped our sales tax to put an additional +250 officers on the resort corridor.  If you think assholes are going to have their way with Vegas in a top tourist destination you don't know us at all.  

Lol!

If you think the average Raider fan is going to give a rat's ass about the LV Metro Police, you're smoking crack.

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.