wolfan8431

Raiders to Las Vegas confirmed

Just now, BackthePack said:

I see this as a negative/push for UNLV football, and a big positive for almost every other thing to bring the events originally held at SBS closer to the strip. The big thing that bothers me is the power Davis is trying to control with the stadium in his original terms. This is as much, if not more the state of Nevada's stadium when we consider how much tax money is coming from the public. Davis better be grateful for anything he gets for getting to leave the dump of Oakland. 

Agreed. The Stadium Authority needs to play some hardball on the lease terms. It's not like Davis has other options. The stadium needs to be branded for both Raiders and UNLV. Approval of schedule shifts need to be granted by the Stadium Authority. Financial terms of the lease need to be reasonable.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BackthePack said:

I see this as a negative/push for UNLV football, and a big positive for almost every other thing to bring the events originally held at SBS closer to the strip. The big thing that bothers me is the power Davis is trying to control with the stadium in his original terms. This is as much, if not more the state of Nevada's stadium when we consider how much tax money is coming from the public. Davis better be grateful for anything he gets for getting to leave the dump of Oakland. 

This. Thing is, with a three year window, if Davis starts sensing his control slipping, he'll withdraw his plan faster than you can say "Seven out!"

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Congrats, Vegas!!!!!! This is HUGE. Biggest sports news/event in Vegas since '90, possibly ever. As an alum of UNLV, I am ecstatic, as this has to be beneficial to the university in some way and may place them in position for a move to P5.

• Like 1

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

50 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

This. Thing is, with a three year window, if Davis starts sensing his control slipping, he'll withdraw his plan faster than you can say "Seven out!"

Could he still pull out of the deal and stay in Oakland? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest RoscoesDad
48 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

This is the biggest positive news in the history of UNLV football.  And some of the dummies here are saying it's a negative.

Jesus H. 

UNLV has control over the lease terms.  Perhaps you missed that part.  UNLV will get its brand all over what will be one of the premier D1 football stadiums in the country.  But yeah, it's a negative for UNLV.  LMFAO at some of you guys.

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

I lived in LV for twenty years and know the market and the fans. Still have a lot of friends and family there...

And those nice NFL stadiums suck when it feels like you're at a Pop Warner game because it's so empty.

Both you and Shark are operating as if there is not a major re-thinking and consideration going forward in how to build stadiums of the future. If the plan was to build a giant AT&T stadium or even something in the high 70K range then you could do a one for one comparison of other colleges that have played in NFL stadiums. 

The size of this stadium is already coming in below what most NFL stadiums area built as. Also, it is being designed and costing so much for one reason: ENTERTAINMENT. The stadium will be more adaptable, and experience-driven than the traditional big stadiums of that past that focused just on capacity.  We shall see but I bet they will have really creative ways to shrink the feel of the space for UNLV and still have a game day experience that is beyond what any other college stadium in the MW comes close to. 

So Wyovanian, when you say "those NFL stadiums..." I think you are operating on an old paradigm that LV is not planning on building.  

• Like 1

I'm happy it passed. I still think it's a push for UNLV football, but I'll change my thinking if the design elements can limit the feeling of a big empty stadium for events that won't pull close to full capacity. I think this is a very big win for all the events that had to be put out at SBS like Supercross, Monster Jam, and now it will automatically get a Super Bowl, and I'm sure things like MBB Final 4 will be on the table.  I may also have a new NFL team to root for since the Chargers are dead to me. 

Let's just hope greed and power don't get the best of this success during the term agreements between Davis and the Stadium Authority.

34 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

Both you and Shark are operating as if there is not a major re-thinking and consideration going forward in how to build stadiums of the future. If the plan was to build a giant AT&T stadium or even something in the high 70K range then you could do a one for one comparison of other colleges that have played in NFL stadiums. 

The size of this stadium is already coming in below what most NFL stadiums area built as. Also, it is being designed and costing so much for one reason: ENTERTAINMENT. The stadium will be more adaptable, and experience-driven than the traditional big stadiums of that past that focused just on capacity.  We shall see but I bet they will have really creative ways to shrink the feel of the space for UNLV and still have a game day experience that is beyond what any other college stadium in the MW comes close to. 

So Wyovanian, when you say "those NFL stadiums..." I think you are operating on an old paradigm that LV is not planning on building.  

Your right, it could very well be that this is on the cutting edge of something new... the college/NFL partnership, and I hope you are right about the stadium being convertible to be more conducive to the college atmosphere.

I'm just going off of how things have faired in the past for college teams playing in Pro stadiums. Maybe this will be a paradigm shift.

I'm honestly not rooting against UNLV in this. I just think it is far from all roses for the program and the school.