Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShoichiKUN808

Hawaii in works to replace Aloha Stadium

Aloha Stadium looks like it will finally be replaced. Needs to be approved by the state governor and legislature first then goes to developer proposals. 

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/01/12/sports/sports-breaking/aloha-stadium-authority-proposing-new-smaller-stadium/

The Stadium Authority voted 5-0 with 4 absents in favor of replacing the aging facility. They are the ones that manage Aloha Stadium and the site surrounding it and are proposing a 30-35k permanent seating (40k special event) stadium in the same location, along with building new condos, restaurants, etc. in extra space for extra revenue.

Unfortunately the conceptual renderings of the proposed stadium have some lack of creativity...

1-12-new-aloha-stadium-drawing.jpg?w=650

imo the new stadium at the very least needs to be 35k capacity with an easy pathway for permanent expansion. Prior to Chow's first season at Hawaii, average attendance was over 30k nearing 35k even during the 6-7 season under Mack. My guess of how this turns out, stadium proposal goes to our governor who then proposes to just another extension of maintenance/sustainability of Aloha Stadium until the rail transit system that is currently being built is fully completed.

Also would much rather have had our prior AD's design of the new stadium compared to the one that is being proposed.

http://khon2.com/2014/07/09/university-of-hawaii-releases-renderings-of-proposed-new-stadium/ new-stadium-rendering.jpg

Nice!  This would be great for Hawaii. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Aloha Stadium looks like it will finally be replaced. Needs to be approved by the state governor and legislature first then goes to developer proposals. 

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/01/12/sports/sports-breaking/aloha-stadium-authority-proposing-new-smaller-stadium/

The Stadium Authority voted 5-0 with 4 absents in favor of replacing the aging facility. They are the ones that manage Aloha Stadium and the site surrounding it and are proposing a 30-35k permanent seating (40k special event) stadium in the same location, along with building new condos, restaurants, etc. in extra space for extra revenue.

Unfortunately the conceptual renderings of the proposed stadium have some lack of creativity...

1-12-new-aloha-stadium-drawing.jpg?w=650

imo the new stadium at the very least needs to be 35k capacity with an easy pathway for permanent expansion. Prior to Chow's first season at Hawaii, average attendance was over 30k nearing 35k even during the 6-7 season under Mack. My guess of how this turns out, stadium proposal goes to our governor who then proposes to just another extension of maintenance/sustainability of Aloha Stadium until the rail transit system that is currently being built is fully completed.

Also would much rather have had our prior AD's design of the new stadium compared to the one that is being proposed.

http://khon2.com/2014/07/09/university-of-hawaii-releases-renderings-of-proposed-new-stadium/ new-stadium-rendering.jpg

Nice watercolors.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

That would be great, but it needs to be bigger. I remember when Hawaii used to average around 40k. 

I agree, it's better to have those extra seats...just in case. 

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

Just cause colo st is building a 32k seat stadium doesn't mean you guys should. 40-45k is what you should build. 

32k and CSU thought they were Big 12 worthy. :rolleyes: TCU has the smallest in that conference and it seats 45k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference_football

11 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

what is the capacity of mercy park?

21,000 for soccer, 25,000 for concerts.  If the Stadium Authority uses that format, they'll likely put in an upper deck to get to 30,000-35,000 for football.  It's not that bad looking from the inside.

Alucobond_Livestrong_Sporting_Park_Popul

1 hour ago, dpc8302 said:

normal_kansascity_skyline_015_7523.jpg

Children's Mercy Park, Kansas City

Crazy how close the two look to each other. Guess the concept artist wasn't really going for 1-to-1 as possible. The only thing I would worry about is how easy that would be for expansion beyond 30-35k as a permanent seating. If/when Hawaii was to fill out that capacity every game eventually there will be talk of expansion.

I still say build the whole thing out of cement. No rust and easier to maintain. Put in individual chairs if needed or just keep steps that can be made into bleacher seats.