Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hugh Jiddump

OT: 2017 Video Games

13 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Nintendo Switch presentation was okay but I think the Switch will still do very well in its home country.  Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Ultra Street Fighter 2, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe should be fun to play.  E3 is going to be epic.

Steam is getting the good fighting games on the PC especially Tekken 7, Ultimate Marvel v Capcom 3, MvC Infinite, Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat XL (they fixed the PC issues), and so many more.  You might just need only a Nvidia GTX 1050 for those fighting games.  Really don't need a PS4 or XB1 for fighting games in that case.

I'm mainly a Nintendo and PC guy, with a side of PlayStation.

Agree the switch presentation was okay, third party support will likely be announced at E3 and most are probably holding off because of how the WiiU performed. Nintendo at least made it so every few months another big hitting franchise comes out. Zelda in March, Mario Kart in April, Splatoon likely May/June, Xenoblade sometime 2017, and Mario in Nov/Dec.

With the Switch combining Nintendo's console fronts of portable and home system, there should be better game lineups. I'm hoping the reveal of Pokemon Stars, Beyond Good and Evil reboot and the Smash port is announced either at E3 or sooner.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:14 AM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I'm mainly a Nintendo and PC guy, with a side of PlayStation.

Agree the switch presentation was okay, third party support will likely be announced at E3 and most are probably holding off because of how the WiiU performed. Nintendo at least made it so every few months another big hitting franchise comes out. Zelda in March, Mario Kart in April, Splatoon likely May/June, Xenoblade sometime 2017, and Mario in Nov/Dec.

With the Switch combining Nintendo's console fronts of portable and home system, there should be better game lineups. I'm hoping the reveal of Pokemon Stars, Beyond Good and Evil reboot and the Smash port is announced either at E3 or sooner.

The Switch, XB1, and PS4 have one thing in common: Unreal Engine 4 support.

EA Sports first used the new Frostbite engine for FIFA 17.  Frostbite engine is to make it possible for EA Sports games to be played on any device so I'd not rule out Madden 18 in addition to EA's sports line up for the Switch.  Plus Madden 18 to the PC would now be possible due to the Frostbite engine...it's up to EA to port the game.

I read that console sales were down 5 million units for 2016 compared to 2015.  It seems like a lot of people made the move to the PC.  Still have a Xbox 360 for NCAA FB 14, a Nintendo 2DS, a Wii, a PS Vita & PS TV, and a PC that lies somewhere betwwen the 360 and XB1 in terms of graphical power.  I'm waiting on the Tekken 7 PC specs before I buy a new GPU but since Street Fighter V used UE4 and Tekken 7 will be using UE4, it looks like a GPU with 480 cuda/stream cores would be good enough to run Tekken 7 so the new GTX 1050 or RX 460 would be sufficient to run SFV and T7.

Only reason to buy a PS4 or XB1 would be due to their first party games.  M$ could be the first to leave the console market.  Sony has Playstation Now...it's only a matter of time.  I believe the Switch will lead to new players entering the console market down the road or becoming more part of the console market.  That is why the Switch is such a huge deal and I will back it as much as I can.  Just two more full priced 3DS games to go and then I can fully focus on the Switch.

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

The Switch, XB1, and PS4 have one thing in common: Unreal Engine 4 support.

EA Sports first used the new Frostbite engine for FIFA 17.  Frostbite engine is to make it possible for EA Sports games to be played on any device so I'd not rule out Madden 18 in addition to EA's sports line up for the Switch.  Plus Madden 18 to the PC would now be possible due to the Frostbite engine...it's up to EA to port the game.

I read that console sales were down 5 million units for 2016 compared to 2015.  It seems like a lot of people made the move to the PC.  Still have a Xbox 360 for NCAA FB 14, a Nintendo 2DS, a Wii, a PS Vita & PS TV, and a PC that lies somewhere betwwen the 360 and XB1 in terms of graphical power.  I'm waiting on the Tekken 7 PC specs before I buy a new GPU but since Street Fighter V used UE4 and Tekken 7 will be using UE4, it looks like a GPU with 480 cuda/stream cores would be good enough to run Tekken 7 so the new GTX 1050 or RX 460 would be sufficient to run SFV and T7.

Only reason to buy a PS4 or XB1 would be due to their first party games.  M$ could be the first to leave the console market.  Sony has Playstation Now...it's only a matter of time.  I believe the Switch will lead to new players entering the console market down the road or becoming more part of the console market.  That is why the Switch is such a huge deal and I will back it as much as I can.  Just two more full priced 3DS games to go and then I can fully focus on the Switch.

Many PC Video cards costs more than a game console.  Console sales are down primarily due to people have already bought one, and people use their phones for games.  The PC market is going down too, including laptops.  

But right now, neither MS nor Sony have any plans to stop making game consoles.  

Havent touched Star Citizen in a while even though I was a reasonably early backer, probably need to update and toodle around. Spend most of my gaming time blowing up botes in World of Warships.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:21 AM, pokerider said:

Many PC Video cards costs more than a game console.  Console sales are down primarily due to people have already bought one, and people use their phones for games.  The PC market is going down too, including laptops.  

But right now, neither MS nor Sony have any plans to stop making game consoles.  

You could probably buy a $120+ graphic card like the GTX 1050 and match or beat the performance of the XB1. Both the original PS4 and XB1 used custom AMD 7000 series GPUs (7790HD for XB1, 7870HD for PS4) which are 3+ years old. The PS4 Pro and XB1S are close to a $250 RX 480. If you buy a high end graphic card like the GTX 1080 now it will likely closely match and maybe even beat whatever the card will be in the "next-gen" Scorpio. The thing with graphic cards and PC gaming in general is the way you can just adjust graphic resolution to last multiple console cycles. If anything just overclock the thing and get more performance out of the card.

With Steam, GOG, etc. it also allows you to find games cheaper than on consoles because of the amount of sales and discounts they have. That usually are better than whatever is on PSN/XBL. That Rise of the Tomb Raider game on PS4 still going for $30+, I bought recently for $20 with a discount on steam.

I always felt that the Sony and Microsoft consoles no matter how close they are just to being a compact PC with their own OS's. Will still be made for years to come just on the reason it's a simple plug-and-play thing. Don't have to be a tech guy in order to get a good gaming experience. Tech guys though will get more bang for their buck in terms of the hardware lasting longer.

Looking forward to Mass Effect Andromeda coming is year. The first Mass Efect( actually all 3 games I consider one long game, loved taking one created character through 3 separate games) was one of my favorite games of all time(ending somewhat disappointing).

Recently been playing Battlefield 1 and started getting back into Xcom 2.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

one of my favorite games of all time(ending somewhat disappointing).

You're remarkably composed about that, I practically made my mouse a permanent piece of drywall after that abomination.

1 hour ago, jdw said:

You're remarkably composed about that, I practically made my mouse a permanent piece of drywall after that abomination.

I guess I had heard people complaining about it so much before I got there I had braced myself for the worse so I was expecting it. The ending couldn't take away the trip though. It was amazing to have choices you made in the first game still mattering into the 3rd game. And seeing characters show back up along your way. I really came to care about my Shepard and his crew and would sometimes agonize over hard decisions to make.

22 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

You could probably buy a $120+ graphic card like the GTX 1050 and match or beat the performance of the XB1. Both the original PS4 and XB1 used custom AMD 7000 series GPUs (7790HD for XB1, 7870HD for PS4) which are 3+ years old. The PS4 Pro and XB1S are close to a $250 RX 480. If you buy a high end graphic card like the GTX 1080 now it will likely closely match and maybe even beat whatever the card will be in the "next-gen" Scorpio. The thing with graphic cards and PC gaming in general is the way you can just adjust graphic resolution to last multiple console cycles. If anything just overclock the thing and get more performance out of the card.

With Steam, GOG, etc. it also allows you to find games cheaper than on consoles because of the amount of sales and discounts they have. That usually are better than whatever is on PSN/XBL. That Rise of the Tomb Raider game on PS4 still going for $30+, I bought recently for $20 with a discount on steam.

I always felt that the Sony and Microsoft consoles no matter how close they are just to being a compact PC with their own OS's. Will still be made for years to come just on the reason it's a simple plug-and-play thing. Don't have to be a tech guy in order to get a good gaming experience. Tech guys though will get more bang for their buck in terms of the hardware lasting longer.

Very true.  The XB1's GPU has 768 shader cores while the GTX 1050 has 640 and the RX 460 has 896 such cores.  I have researched the minimum specs for games such as Street Fighter V, Killer Instinct, Need For Speed, and Doom.  Their minimum specs shows that the XB1 hasn't even been maxed out just yet but getting closer since some require GPUs that has 640 shader cores which is 3/4s of the XB1's GPU.  The GTX 1050 Ti has the same 768 cuda (same as shader) cores.  The RX 460 and GTX 1050 are close to the $100 mark...compare that to $300 for a XB1 or PS4.

AMD's RX 470 is a sub $200 card that has 2,048 shader cores which is more than the PS4's 1,152 and just under the PS4 Pro's 2,304 shader cores.  However, it has more TFLOPs than the PS4 Pro.  Some people want to buy higher end GPUs so they can play the game in 4K resolution while the XB1 and PS4 cannot.  It's your choice and how I determine my GPU is that all I care about is getting the game to run.  Again the RX 470 is half the cost of a PS4 Pro.

You don't even need a quad core CPU for some of those games and a game company overstating the minimum specs isn't a huge surprise but I think it has more to do with games released on the 360 and PS3 because they used a different type of archiecture while the PS4 and XB1 uses the same x86 stuff found in PCs.  Even Pentinum G dual core CPUs still gets the job done for XB1 and PS4 games.

The Pentinum G3258 cpu from Intel is about $50 at MicroCenter.  The GTX 750 Ti has 640 cuda cores so you would be fine with getting a GTX 1050 for about $110.  RAM sticks have really gone down in price as well.  8GB of RAM would set you back about $60.00.  Without including Windows 10, you can build a PC that can match the PS4 in performance for less than $300-400.

After I built my own PC which has 8GB, Pentinum G3220, and a 1GB GDDR5 GT 730 (less than $75), 4GB of RAM (at the time and now 8GB), a DVD drive, a 1TB HDD, a case with a 500W power supply for a little over $300, I just cannot get myself to buy another XBox or PS4 again except for their first party exclusives.  That's why a lot of people like to have Nintendo devices along with their PC.

Now, if I want to match the performance of the XB1 in this case, all I need is a $110 to $130 gpu and I'm good to go.

12 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

I can't think of warcraft without hearing "LEEEEROY JENKINS!" in my brain.  It was funny then and it's funny now.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

13 hours ago, Mano said:

This video never gets old. Nothing like a bunch of upsets nerds to give a good laugh!

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

1 hour ago, WYO1016 said:

This video never gets old. Nothing like a bunch of upsets nerds to give a good laugh!

I'm glad that's a game I was never interested in. Such a huge time sink. I get a kick out of the ventrilo harassment videos.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:12 PM, Puro Pinche Aztecs said:

What a +++++ing nerd! Every gamer knows the only console to own is Playstation or Xbox, depending on what generation it is. 

Nintendo is only for kiddie games and fat disgusting slobs to play wii fit, so i guess it's ok for that guy.

0cb9f68ea8813846ec710a3e72310f979bb014af

60641424.jpg

Nintendo started sh/it...

Many of us actual grown men have been playing great Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, and Metroid franchises since you just began sucking your Grandma's teets... 

I'd love to see a Metroid game from this console as well-done as Metroid Prime.  Would also be sweet to get some nice Resident Evil games.

Obviously, it's all about Zelda, and that preview looks pretty intriguing.

Just hope there's not some stupid controller gimmick like the Wii that caused me to skip it.  To this day, I've never spent more than 10 minutes using any Wii mote...

New-Signature.jpg

http://www.thebitbag.com/amd-raven-ridge-apu-much-powerful-ps4-graphics-engine/219991

I'm fired up for the new AMD Zen cpus and I'm paying close attention to the APUs.  There are two Raven Ridge APUs and while they will have the same quad core, the iGPUs aren't the same.

One has 768 shader cores using DDR4 (XBox 1 has 768 shader cores) and one has 1,024 shader cores using HBM2.  The HBM2 version will have 128 GB/s memory bandwidth which is more than the XBox 1's 68.3 GB/s.  So you basically will have a PC that can run PS4 games no questions asked.

And there is one Grey Hawk APU that will have 4,096 shader cores in the iGPU along with a 32 core CPU.  That will come out in 2019.  Given that information and the rumored XBox Scorpio being more powerful than the PS4 Pro and a 4K console, I think this is a peek into the XBS specs and maybe even the PS5 as well.

Guest Dr. Dre

Lol at these threads every year. Grown "men" playing with toys. Although Junky gets a pass, he's never kissed a girl before. It comes as no surprise at who started the topic. After all, this is his exercise after a McDonald's Super-size meal.