UNLV2001

One years difference

4 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

Wow, that's crazy. Idaho is almost 100% drought free right now. What we really need is a slow warm-up this spring so the reservoirs can fill up properly. But it's awesome to see how well it's going.

Drought west of the Rockies is much less............but look right of the Rockies and you see a bit more drought areas, especially east of Denver & ABQ 

11 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

Wow, that's crazy. Idaho is almost 100% drought free right now. What we really need is a slow warm-up this spring so the reservoirs can fill up properly. But it's awesome to see how well it's going.

For the 'scientists' out there.  Here in Colorado I have heard it said that a slow warm up is NOT what is desired.  In the very dry climate we have here in Colorado combined with the general higher elevations, when you have a slow warm up it is a combination of snow melt but some of the moisture is simply lost due to sublimation because of the sun combined with elevation.  Is this just a myth?  It seems to make sense to me.

..GO FALCONS..

2 minutes ago, ltcpilot said:

For the 'scientists' out there.  Here in Colorado I have heard it said that a slow warm up is NOT what is desired.  In the very dry climate we have here in Colorado combined with the general higher elevations, when you have a slow warm up it is a combination of snow melt but some of the moisture is simply lost due to sublimation because of the sun combined with elevation.  Is this just a myth?  It seems to make sense to me.

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclesublimation.html

Sublimation is the conversion between the solid and the gaseous phases of matter, with no intermediate liquid stage. For those of us interested in the water cycle, sublimation is most often used to describe the process of snow and ice changing into water vapor in the air without first melting into water. The opposite of sublimation is "deposition", where water vapor changes directly into ice—such a snowflakes and frost.

Without the addition of energy (heat) to the process, ice would not sublimate into vapor. That is where sunlight plays a large role in the natural world. Water has a physical property called the "heat of vaporization," which is the amount of heat required to vaporize water. If you want an exact amount of heat, the heat of vaporization of water is 540 calories/gram, or 2,260 kilojoules/kilogram. That is a lot more energy than is needed to convert water to ice (the latent heat of fusion), which is 80 calories/gram. And, it is also about five times the energy needed for heating water from the freezing point to the boiling point. In summary, energy is needed for the sublimation of ice to vapor to occur, and most of the energy is needed in the vaporization phase. A cubic centimeter (1 gram) of water in ice form requires 80 calories to melt, 100 calories to rise to boiling point, and another 540 calories to vaporize, a total of 720 calories. Sublimation requires the same energy input, but bypasses the liquid phase.

Just now, renoskier said:

Pfffftttttt......can you ski it?

Not on the aquifer...............BUT it's a steady down hill slope (in scale of miles) from Denver to Kansas City..........the fall has to be 4000 to 4500 feet in elevation !! That's a pretty good vertical fall !! 

Interesting and encouraging graphics. Thanks for posting.

However...

I am west of the Rockies and it still seems pretty dry here. Very little snowpack thus far.

I decided to do something about this ongoing NM drought, both with snowpack and Lobos BB wins... tonight I am 'killing two birds with one stone'.

Tonight, under the brightness of the Full 'Wolf' Moon I am doing a snow dance for the benefit of our snowpack and our Wolf Pack.

The moisture and the win streak begin Saturday. NM skiers, anglers, fans of Lobos BB...and Noodle can thank me come March.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclesublimation.html

Sublimation is the conversion between the solid and the gaseous phases of matter, with no intermediate liquid stage. For those of us interested in the water cycle, sublimation is most often used to describe the process of snow and ice changing into water vapor in the air without first melting into water. The opposite of sublimation is "deposition", where water vapor changes directly into ice—such a snowflakes and frost.

Without the addition of energy (heat) to the process, ice would not sublimate into vapor. That is where sunlight plays a large role in the natural world. Water has a physical property called the "heat of vaporization," which is the amount of heat required to vaporize water. If you want an exact amount of heat, the heat of vaporization of water is 540 calories/gram, or 2,260 kilojoules/kilogram. That is a lot more energy than is needed to convert water to ice (the latent heat of fusion), which is 80 calories/gram. And, it is also about five times the energy needed for heating water from the freezing point to the boiling point. In summary, energy is needed for the sublimation of ice to vapor to occur, and most of the energy is needed in the vaporization phase. A cubic centimeter (1 gram) of water in ice form requires 80 calories to melt, 100 calories to rise to boiling point, and another 540 calories to vaporize, a total of 720 calories. Sublimation requires the same energy input, but bypasses the liquid phase.

Wait a minute.  How come my ice cubes shrink after awhile in the fridge?

12 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

Interesting and encouraging graphics. Thanks for posting.

However...

I am west of the Rockies and it still seems pretty dry here. Very little snowpack thus far.

I decided to do something about this ongoing NM drought, both with snowpack and Lobos BB wins... tonight I am 'killing two birds with one stone'.

Tonight, under the brightness of the Full 'Wolf' Moon I am doing a snow dance for the benefit of our snowpack and our Wolf Pack.

The moisture and the win streak begin Saturday. NM skiers, anglers, fans of Lobos BB...and Noodle can thank me come March.

Let me tell ya, that shit works! Last Saturday night, I did the same thing for our snowpack and our Wolf Pack. I didn't get to start until after I got my little boy in bed, about 10pm. The results were almost instantaneous and amazing.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Let me tell ya, that shit works! Last Saturday night, I did the same thing for our snowpack and our Wolf Pack. I didn't get to start until after I got my little boy in bed, about 10pm. The results were almost instantaneous and amazing.

Generally, I am pretty confident in my ability to affect things with my full moon dances, but...

your success to affect two things has me both encouraged...and pissed. Damn you 'skier.

• Like 1