mugtang

Chargers moving to Los Angeles.

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Nah just realistic about what it will take.  I'm rooting for you all to pull it off but it's going to take fund raising.

We're all grateful for hopes and prayers. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

19 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Ditto.

Dropped off all my Chargers stuff at Goodwill on Saturday. Drove through my old neighborhood yesterday and saw a couple piles of Charger stuff by the curb. Someone nailed a jersey to a telephone pole on my street.

lol.  I read that there is a movement to get all the moving companies to band together and not help the Chargers move.  http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/01/17/moving-companies-refuse-to-help-chargers-relocate-to-los-angeles.html

ans stand around a pile of Chargers memorabilia in front of San Diego Chargers headquarters after the team announced that it will move to Los Angeles Thursday Jan. 12, 2017, in San Diego.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, sactowndog said:

Have you seen the make-up of the CSU board?  

One San Diegan.   The board is dominated by LA and SF with more Graduates of Claremont Graduate School than San Diego State.   In fact, Cal State Northridge has the most representation on the board.  

I share your vision of larger more advanced CSU Universities.   But if you read the make up of the board, I don't think they would share the same vision.   SDSU should build the west annex but it's going to take a massive capital campaign. 

https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/Meet-the-Board-of-Trustees

Again, as if the CSU system would pass on a chance to acquire a significant portion of land in the heart of Mission Valley because CSU Bakersfield needs new projectors...

22 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Well not from China as companies their only accept degrees from UC schools according to our Chinese exchange students. 

Extrapolating from this: https://www.csusm.edu/communications/cougarstats/ CSU San Marcos, which is one of the smallest of the CSU campuses, has about 70 students from China. And I can't find it just now but know that CSULA has a special program just to acclimate Chinese students to life in the U.S. which they're obligated to complete before being allowed to enroll in regular classes. CSULA wouldn't have bothered putting that program together if it had just a handful of students from China and I have to think those campuses aren't unique. Would Chinese kids bother enrolling in CSU schools if companies in their country won't accept degrees from them? Although maybe they just attend the CSU school for a couple years in hopes of transferring to a UC and although I get that you're just repeating what you've heard, I have to call BS on that.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Extrapolating from this: https://www.csusm.edu/communications/cougarstats/ CSU San Marcos, which is one of the smallest of the CSU campuses, has about 70 students from China. And I can't find it just now but know that CSULA has a special program just to acclimate Chinese students to life in the U.S. which they're obligated to complete before being allowed to enroll in regular classes. CSULA wouldn't have bothered putting that program together if it had just a handful of students from China and I have to think those campuses aren't unique. Would Chinese kids bother enrolling in CSU schools if companies in their country won't accept degrees from them? Although maybe they just attend the CSU school for a couple years in hopes of transferring to a UC and although I get that you're just repeating what you've heard, I have to call BS on that.

That or than can be attending joint doctoral degrees like at San Marcos.   Also remember "Chinese" kids can come from many other countries than China.   Lastly some kids who can't get into UC's might attend CSU's.  I doubt if our exchange student was as stressed as she was about getting into a UC for no reason.  Also companies likely aren't absolute some may but most don't.

Per UT article, Aztecs have sold more than 1,500 new season tickets for 2017. Most charger fans are still in shock, so I expect that # to grow a lot as year goes on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

The NFL is apparently pissed the Chargers decided to move to LA and are now trying to get them to move back to San Diego. So maybe SDSU will have a co-tenancy going forward. 

San Diego would need to agree.  And the way they left burned a lot of bridges.  NFL and Chargers would probably have to foot the bill even more then, because i think the citizens aren't too keen to open the wallets right now.

22 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The NFL is apparently pissed the Chargers decided to move to LA and are now trying to get them to move back to San Diego. So maybe SDSU will have a co-tenancy going forward. 

I thought they were the ones that approved the move.

Well, I think the timing of this sucks for the Raiders.  If the NFL is feeling this way then when they meet in March to discuss the Raiders to Vegas they might decide to refocus on Oakland.  The silver lining is that UNLV could end up with their own on campus stadium.

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. Well, apparently they're having second thoughts. None of this makes sense. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-is-reportedly-upset-with-chargers-wants-them-to-move-back-to-san-diego/

That's fantasy land of the highest order.  They aren't moving back.

Scott Lewis' comments on the Mighty1090 yesterday say it all. The Chargers were scared to death that the Raiders would think their LV deal would fall through - and Adelson has apparently pulled his support - and if so would grab the L.A. option. Considering how many fans the Raiders still have in L.A., that concern of the Chargers was a no-brainer.

Could the Chargers return to SD? Sure. But as Lewis also said, it won't be for a dozen years or so and I continue to think the telling issue will be whether they can get their own stadium built somewhere in L.A. county. If so, the Chargers will be in L.A. forever. If not, there's about a 50/50 chance they move back.

How would the Chargers moving back to SD in a dozen years affect the Aztecs? Really, the timing is fine. Within a dozen years it should be known whether SDSU will get a promotion to a P5 conference. If that happens, it won't matter much whether the Chargers return because the future of Aztecs football will be secure. OTOH, if SDSU doesn't get that promotion our football program won't have much of a future anyway.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Well, I think the timing of this sucks for the Raiders.  If the NFL is feeling this way then when they meet in March to discuss the Raiders to Vegas they might decide to refocus on Oakland.  The silver lining is that UNLV could end up with their own on campus stadium.

I think that's a good way to look at it.

A decade ago, I hoped the Chargers could get a deal done with the city of SD to replace Qualcomm with a new stadium in Mission Valley. At that time our football program was so downtrodden there was zero chance of getting sufficient donations that the university could build its own stadium. Thankfully some of us diehards complained enough and our numbnutz AD effed up enough that there has been a sea change in the program so the LAST thing I wanted was to continue to play in an NFL stadium. IF you guys could similarly turn your football program around, you may find that the Raiders remaining in Oakland was a good thing for you.

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 minutes ago, WindowCoug said:

With the Chargers moving on and SDSU largely on the upswing, will a 30K stadium be enough, or are they going to make it easily expandable?

30k with 10k expandable seats has been thrown around a lot

• Like 1