Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

The three most frightening aspects of Trump IMO

14 minutes ago, pokebball said:

In the sense that we don't have a president that sugarcoats every word that comes out of his mouth, sure it has.  What might be the impact?  I honestly don't know.  Perhaps you're right that it will be the SOS.  I'm not so sure.

Hopey-changey all over again.  Yay!

30 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No shit.  If half as much time was spent figuring out that web as is spent on verifiable false (Trumps lawyer met with Russia intelligence in Prague) to unverifiable stuff (PEEtous) the public would be better served.  He assigned his step son to a job in the White House.  He failed to set up a blind trust. He just met with a freaking vaccine skeptic.  All this was overshadowed by a full of crap dossier.

I was reading an interview with an Italian pol a couple of weeks ago, and he brought up an interesting point. He said that Silvio Berlusconi was able to survive as long as he did in part because the opposition focused far too much on the more silicious aspects of his character. The press and Berlusconi's political opposition focused on things like bunga bunga parties, which distracted from the more serious issues of corruption and governmental mismanagement. I hope with very little faith that we don't go down the same path.

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I was reading an interview with an Italian pol a couple of weeks ago, and he brought up an interesting point. He said that Silvio Berlusconi was able to survive as long as he did in part because the opposition focused far too much on the more silicious aspects of his character. The press and Berlusconi's political opposition focused on things like bunga bunga parties, which distracted from the more serious issues of corruption and governmental mismanagement. I hope with very little faith that we don't go down the same path.

Sensationalists will be sensationalists, but I feel like we have enough actual journalists left (and plenty of animus towards Trump from them) to keep the heat on him.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

11 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I was reading an interview with an Italian pol a couple of weeks ago, and he brought up an interesting point. He said that Silvio Berlusconi was able to survive as long as he did in part because the opposition focused far too much on the more silicious aspects of his character, and would never focus on the more serious issues. The press and Berlusconi's political opposition focused on things like bunga bunga parties, which distracted from the more serious issues of corruption and governmental mismanagement. I hope with very little faith that we don't go down the same path.

What upsets me is that Buzzfeed was so quick to pull the trigger and the biggest "bombshell" was debunked in less than 24 hours.  All when the media is under constant attack like it has never been before and fake news sites are growing in popularity.  They unwittingly gave Trump more ammo to scream "lies" whenever real criticism or concern is levied.

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

Happy, you don't have a single valid point.  Just blah blah blah.  

The point that everyone is a special interest and that the way you get influence is by hiring a lobbyist and having them explain your desires (and the power of your voting bloc) to congresspeople isn't a valid point?

The fact that Trump got richer with crook schemes, just like pretty much everyone else, isn't a valid point? 

The fact that the fraud committed by Trump University isn't just on the same level but isn't even on the same stratosphere as any kind of misrepresentation provided by not for profit universities isn't a valid point?

The fact that Trump has repeatedly broken the law for his own advantage isn't a valid point?

The fact that Americans specifically and the world in general is both richer, safer, more peaceful, and more entertaining than any point in the past and that rocking a boat that is as good as it has ever been more likely results in a degradation of circumstance than improvement isn't a valid point?

It seems to me that I had several valid points, you just didn't like them because to consider them, you'd have to adjust your rosy, comfy worldview. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Seriously though, that press conference had a real banana republic/ the last days of the Roman Empire kind of feel to it.

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

Just now, youngrebelfan40 said:

Sensationalists will be sensationalists, but I feel like we have enough actual journalists left (and plenty of animus towards Trump from them) to keep the heat on him.

We definitely do. The question I have is will the people pay attention? Can any of them break through the cloud of nonsense that cable news and the Internet provide? The majority of people gravitate toward the sensational, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What upsets me is that Buzzfeed was so quick to pull the trigger and the biggest "bombshell" was debunked in less than 24 hours.  All when the media is under constant attack like it has never been before and fake news sites are growing in popularity.  They unwittingly gave Trump more ammo to scream "lies" whenever real criticism or concern is levied.

Definitely. And suddenly that is all we are talking about.

2 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Seriously though, that press conference had a real banana republic/ the last days of the Roman Empire kind of feel to it.

I can't get this same thought out of my mind.

Guest RoscoesDad
6 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

That press conference has me kind of scared of what's to come.  At first I kind of thought that the dynamic between Trump and the media would be good entertainment.  After today, I don't think it's really that funny.  The seriousness of the situation sort of took over.  If I were a journalist that said anything negative about Trump, I'd probably be afraid for my freedom or my life right about now.  Lady Hands and his administration are complete lunatics.  

Just now, RoscoesDad said:

That press conference has me kind of scared of what's to come.  At first I kind of thought that the dynamic between Trump and the media would be good entertainment.  After today, I don't think it's really that funny.  The seriousness of the situation sort of took over.  If I were a journalist that said anything negative about Trump, I'd probably be afraid for my life right about now.  Lady Hands and his administration are complete lunatics.  

This has been building up for more than a year now. My friends who are still in the journalism world aren't genuinely afraid, but there is a real gallows humor setting in about being offed.

2 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

This could be fun.  Which Roman emperor does Trump draw a closest parallel to?

I say Tiberius.  Sexual depravity.  Proscription lists.  Pretending to be a reluctant servant who felt duty bound to save the state.  Paranoid conspiracy theorist. A love me or else ruler.  Obviously not a perfect comparison but fun.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I say Tiberius.  Sexual depravity.  Proscription lists.  Pretending to be a reluctant servant who felt duty bound to save the state.  Paranoid conspiracy theorist. A love me or else ruler.  Obviously not a perfect comparison but fun.

Tiberius was competent. I'd say more like Commodus. Left ruling to others, devalued the currency, promoted the idea that the "people" were more important than the Senate, a megalomaniac.

Found this description in Wikipedia and it is savage:   

describes him as "not naturally wicked but, on the contrary, as guileless as any man that ever lived. His great simplicity, however, together with his cowardice, made him the slave of his companions, and it was through them that he at first, out of ignorance, missed the better life and then was led on into lustful and cruel habits, which soon became second nature."[

The "slave of his companions" thing resonates. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Tiberius was competent. I'd say more like Commodus. Left ruling to others, devalued the currency, promoted the idea that the "people" were more important than the Senate, a megalomaniac.

Found this description in Wikipedia and it is savage:   

describes him as "not naturally wicked but, on the contrary, as guileless as any man that ever lived. His great simplicity, however, together with his cowardice, made him the slave of his companions, and it was through them that he at first, out of ignorance, missed the better life and then was led on into lustful and cruel habits, which soon became second nature."[

The "slave of his companions" thing resonates. 

I could totally see Trump forcing drugged gladiators to fight him with dulled swords so he could bask in the admiration of the mob.

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Caligula.

Insane sexually depraved tyrant with a love of infrastructure projects and palaces for himself? Count me in.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Damn. You took mine.

The liberal scribes were biased against him bigly. 

He was also assassinated in a military coup FWIW.