Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

Obama's Farewell Speech

It is easy o see why this guy is popular, his lofty rhetoric is/was the engine for Hope and Change..... but he continues to dwell on class and race.  His biggest failure (and his party) is the realization that change of any type wont work unless the economics work.  This speech is a lecture from an elitist point of view not grounded in our reality.

5 minutes ago, edluvar said:

Lucky we have a guy with six bankruptcys in line to fix things.  

Obama has  more concern  about his legacy than helping our  country.   He intentionally ignored/ failed the very people who turned out to vote for him.......you know those who will still have to watch their youth die in the streets. Can you defend this?    He was in a unique position to make a difference and he didn't give a shit about them.   This will become his legacy.

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

It is easy o see why this guy is popular, his lofty rhetoric is/was the engine for Hope and Change..... but he continues to dwell on class and race.  His biggest failure (and his party) is the realization that change of any type wont work unless the economics work.  This speech is a lecture from an elitist point of view not grounded in our reality.

You're a moron.  

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

What's amazing about Obama's speech is not his soaring rhetoric or preternatural oratory skills,  which are unequivocally all time great... but how we go from someone who speaks at that quality to someone who speaks as pitifully and terribly as Trump.  

Moreover,  it's fascinating to see the reaction to how Obama speaks juxtaposed to the reaction to how Trump speaks.  Ignore the actual content and substance for a moment and focus only on the delivery... there is simply those who consider Obama an elitist windbag who speaks above them,  while Trump is an everyman who communicates at their level,  and while he might not be the most eloquent,  and while we shouldn't ever take what he says (or retracts) seriously,  Trump is simply a man of action.  

Or something like that.  It's just insane how far apart we are. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

What's amazing about Obama's speech is not his soaring rhetoric or preternatural oratory skills,  which are unequivocally all time great... but how we go from someone who speaks at that quality to someone who speaks as pitifully and terribly as Trump.  

Moreover,  it's fascinating to see the reaction to how Obama speaks juxtaposed to the reaction to how Trump speaks.  Ignore the actual content and substance for a moment and focus only on the delivery... there is simply those who consider Obama an elitist windbag who speaks above them,  while Trump is an everyman who communicates at their level,  and while he might not be the most eloquent,  and while we shouldn't ever take what he says (or retracts) seriously,  Trump is simply a man of action.  

Or something like that.  It's just insane how far apart we are. 

Obama is a great orator when he has rehearsed a script he is reading from, no doubt about it.  With out a script he is below mediocre.  

Trump speaks at about a third grade level.  

I recorded the confirmation of Sessions and watched about an hour of it, I was amazed at just how poorly nearly every senator spoke.  Listening to Blumenthal stumble over his words was embarrassing

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Obama is a great orator when he has rehearsed a script he is reading from, no doubt about it.  With out a script he is below mediocre.  

Disagree. His style and rhetoric is not as "soaring" but I actually prefer his non-scripted speaking to his scripted/prompted.  You can see the gears working, and you get a better sense of how thoughtful and articulate he is (in spite of what you might think of his politics, ideas, or ideology).  Bubba was like this, and I even think GWB came off as more intelligent when not reading from his teleprompter. 

Obama is a fantastic orator. To the masses, he comes across as intelligent and credible when he speaks. Regardless of his politics, I've always been impressed with his public speaking.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Obama is a fantastic orator. To the masses, he comes across as intelligent and credible when he speaks. Regardless of his politics, I've always been impressed with his public speaking.

Indeed... though without the teleprompter, he seems to say "uh/uhm" more than he says any actual words. 

11 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

And if there is anyone who is well versed in having a viewpoint not grounded in reality, it's you!

10 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Obama has  more concern  about his legacy than helping our  country.  

Why do you think this?

He intentionally ignored/ failed the very people who turned out to vote for him.......you know those who will still have to watch their youth die in the streets.

What are you talking about? Seriously, what are you talking about? He intentionally failed people who turned out to vote for him? So he had a chance to make a difference and deliberately did not take it?

Do you have any kind of proof other than "Obama liberal so literally everything he does is evil"? 

Can you defend this?    He was in a unique position to make a difference and he didn't give a shit about them.   This will become his legacy.

How can you say this and then turn around and make fun of "If I had a son he would look like Treyvon"? 

It seems to me that YOU don't give a shit about them and you're projecting. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

And if there is anyone who is well versed in having a viewpoint not grounded in reality, it's you!

Why do you think this?

What are you talking about? Seriously, what are you talking about? He intentionally failed people who turned out to vote for him? So he had a chance to make a difference and deliberately did not take it?

Do you have any kind of proof other than "Obama liberal so literally everything he does is evil"? 

How can you say this and then turn around and make fun of "If I had a son he would look like Treyvon"? 

It seems to me that YOU don't give a shit about them and you're projecting. 

Same old tired bullshit from Jack. 

3 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Instead of defending your hero's glaring failed legacy, which you cant , you attack me and deflect to Trump .   Classic response

Your post kind of illuminated enough without having to replay things, but a simple "The president isn't going to stop street gangs" should suffice.  Didn't with the drug wars, didn't with the gang units, wasn't going to with a "Please stop, guys" from the President.  It's comical you think black-on-black crime would end because a black guy says so.  Talk about not grounded with reality. 

Obama and the Democrats can't win on ideas. Thus they have to resort to Identity politics.  White people are racists, people with jobs are inherently privileged, successful businesses are evil, rich people are the problem, etc.   

Most people like Obama the person, but pretty evident they don't like Obama's policies so much. 

9 hours ago, Jwherb said:

Disagree. His style and rhetoric is not as "soaring" but I actually prefer his non-scripted speaking to his scripted/prompted.  You can see the gears working, and you get a better sense of how thoughtful and articulate he is (in spite of what you might think of his politics, ideas, or ideology).  Bubba was like this, and I even think GWB came off as more intelligent when not reading from his teleprompter. 

I agree with you.  However, when you say "you can see the gears working", not only can that be interpreted as "thoughtful and articulate" but also "calculating", in that he's filtering out of his response things he actually embraces, supports, feels, etc. that he doesn't want us to hear..  In other words, is Obama being authentic?  Perhaps Obama isn't as unauthentic as most of our politicians in DC, but that doesn't matter.  We've observed a revolution against the unauthentic politician.

Trump doesn't articulate his authenticity well, but it's the authenticity that is resonating with Americans.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

15 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I agree with you.  However, when you say "you can see the gears working", not only can that be interpreted as "thoughtful and articulate" but also "calculating", in that he's filtering out of his response things he actually embraces, supports, feels, etc. that he doesn't want us to hear..  In other words, is Obama being authentic?  Perhaps Obama isn't as unauthentic as most of our politicians in DC, but that doesn't matter.  We've observed a revolution against the unauthentic politician.

Trump doesn't articulate his authenticity well, but it's the authenticity that is resonating with Americans.

I really think it is based on what the ear chooses to hear.  A lot of people believed Obama was genuine in his words, but don't believe that with Trump, and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

Obama and the Democrats can't win on ideas. Thus they have to resort to Identity politics.  White people are racists, people with jobs are inherently privileged, successful businesses are evil, rich people are the problem, etc.   

Most people like Obama the person, but pretty evident they don't like Obama's policies so much. 

As if the GOP wins on ideas. Cult of personality wins elections. Not ideas. I doubt even a majority of voters could tell you a thing about Obama's policies. And I have no idea what idea the current GOP is pushing other than, well, +++++ liberals. 

20 minutes ago, pokebball said:

With a certain minority of Americans. The majority of Americans find him irrational and impulsive.

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

Didn't Trump just run on identity politics? 

It seems to me that both parties have a mix of ideas and identity politics that are used in various measures depending on the politician in question. If you think that your party isn't selling identity politics it's because you swallowed the hook

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.