Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

307dude

Wyoming hires new Defensive Coordinator

Guest Cowboy Junky
8 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Coming back from an ACL and adding 20 pounds? That's probably not a good idea.

He's been working his upper body, not his legs. He'll add weight to his upper body.

Guest Cowboy Junky
42 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Do I need to explain to you how knees work?

I trust Wyoming's strength and conditioning staff more than I trust Fort Fun.

Granderson will be beast mode next season.

12 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I trust Wyoming's strength and conditioning staff more than I trust Fort Fun.

Granderson will be beast mode next season.

What have you heard from Wyoming's strength and conditioning staff?  Have they declared him ready for "beast mode"?

Granderson finished the season third in the MWC in sacks per game which is pretty impressive.  I don't doubt that he's got the goods.

However, he's coming off of an ACL and I don't see any way that doesn't slow him down some in his return season.  More importantly, in order to finish first you have to not finish third.

On 1/10/2017 at 7:03 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hmmm.  The NFL experience usually is enticing to recruits.  In his only year as a DC in the MWC his defense finished 103rd in the nation.  Not sure what to think of this hire.

i think it's hard to base any conclusions off from 1 year, especially when your HC is...Polian.

Guest Cowboy Junky
13 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

The way Junky talks about Wyomings D you'd think they didn't finish 10th in the MWC in total defense..

It's not like he's inheriting a train wreck. He gets the best pass rusher in the league, the best safety in the league, and a freshman All-American linebacker. He'll have multiple pass rushing options in his defensive line rotation. He'll have a four deep of 280-300 pound defensive tackles, a couple of them that can rush the passer. He'll have more depth than any team that Craig Bohl has fielded in Laramie. 

Wyoming's problem was our inability to stop the read option. When people lined up and tried to run power on us, we shut that down for the most part. We couldn't defend the veer. I'm not saying Wyoming's defense was good this year. It wasn't. It was good in certain situations and completely inept at stopping spread offenses running the read option. We'll see if Scottie Hazelton knows how to defend the read option.

I guess we'll find out if the new defensive coordinator, the increased depth and athleticism, and another year in the weight room under Russell Dennison will pay off.

I'm guessing the Cowboys defense will be much improved. 

Hazelton and Craig Bohl had massive success when they we're coaching on the same staff. I see no reason for that to change.

Hazleton got run off at Nevada because of the 0 defense in the 2nd half. We were even in big games at half time, but when the adjustments were made by the opposing offense, it was a different game. To be fair, there was a position or two that we didn't have a lot of depth, but that wasn't the biggest problem. He didn't do anything creative and we sat back in a bend but don't break, prevent and the 2nd halfs were bloody. The players weren't playing for him, he was just a boring lump on a log. 

When we brought in his replacement, that extreme problem went away.

kat.jpg

Guest Cowboy Junky
1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Hazleton got run off at Nevada because of the 0 defense in the 2nd half. We were even in big games at half time, but when the adjustments were made by the opposing offense, it was a different game. To be fair, there was a position or two that we didn't have a lot of depth, but that wasn't the biggest problem. He didn't do anything creative and we sat back in a bend but don't break, prevent and the 2nd halfs were bloody. The players weren't playing for him, he was just a boring lump on a log. 

It takes a while to recruit the right personnel to make a Tampa 2 work. You have to get a middle linebacker that can cover, you have to get pass rushers on the defensive line, you have to get a weakside backer that can cover and tackle. The Tampa 2 really shines if you have a lockdown corner. You want a defensive tackle that can rush the qb. You need to have depth to make the system work.

I just don't think Hazelton had time to recruit the system in Nevada. He didn't have the right personnel.

He'll be inheriting a defense that was recruited to play the 4-3 and all four years of the recruiting done by Craig Bohls staff. We red-shirted a lot of linebackers from last years recruiting class. We have some good athletes stepping on the field next season.

Scottie Hazeltons mom lives about an hour away from Laramie. He's a Northern Colorado guy, in an area the Cowboys have historically and successfully recruited.

Craig Bohl and Hazelton together have a damn impressive resume. They've both had impressive careers seperatelty, but their body of work when on the same staff is even more impressive. They built the NDSU dynasty that still exists in Fargo. Hazelton and Bohl were the architects of that defense that took NDSU to it's success.

Scottie Hazelton in Laramie is a really good fit.

I guess we'll find out if he can stop a read option.

8 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

It takes a while to recruit the right personnel to make a Tampa 2 work. You have to get a middle linebacker that can cover, you have to get pass rushers on the defensive line, you have to get a weakside backer that can cover and tackle. The Tampa 2 really shines if you have a lockdown corner. You want a defensive tackle that can rush the qb. You need to have depth to make the system work.

I just don't think Hazelton had time to recruit the system in Nevada. He didn't have the right personnel.

He'll be inheriting a defense that was recruited to play the 4-3 and all four years of the recruiting done by Craig Bohls staff. We red-shirted a lot of linebackers from last years recruiting class. We have some good athletes stepping on the field next season.

Scottie Hazeltons mom lives about an hour away from Laramie. He's a Northern Colorado guy, in an area the Cowboys have historically and successfully recruited.

Craig Bohl and Hazelton together have a damn impressive resume. They've both had impressive careers seperatelty, but their body of work when on the same staff is even more impressive. They built the NDSU dynasty that still exists in Fargo. Hazelton and Bohl were the architects of that defense that took NDSU to it's success.

Scottie Hazelton in Laramie is a really good fit.

I guess we'll find out if he can stop a read option.

I'm just not a fan of it, and I don't think a Tampa 2 is very realistic for a G5 to have big success with unless you're a Houston or someone that's bringing in some elite secondary and LB recruits. 

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I'm just not a fan of it, and I don't think a Tampa 2 is very realistic for a G5 to have big success with unless you're a Houston or someone that's bringing in some elite secondary and LB recruits. 

I've no idea if Wyoming can recruit for and run the Tampa 2 successfully or not but I'm certainly not going to trust your analysis.  You're the one that said vehemently just prior to this season that Wyoming could never recruit the type of player to run a smash mouth pro style offense.  I think this season, while not perfect went along way to dispel that opinion.

Read up a little on Bohl.  His time and success at Nebraska and the philosophies he learned from coach Osborne.  The same philosophies, both coaching and recruiting he succeeded with and refined at NDSU.  There are a lot of similarities in the type of people living in and the type of kids one can recruit to Nebraska, North Dakota and Wyoming.

30 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I've no idea if Wyoming can recruit for and run the Tampa 2 successfully or not but I'm certainly not going to trust your analysis.  You're the one that said vehemently just prior to this season that Wyoming could never recruit the type of player to run a smash mouth pro style offense.  I think this season, while not perfect went along way to dispel that opinion.

Read up a little on Bohl.  His time and success at Nebraska and the philosophies he learned from coach Osborne.  The same philosophies, both coaching and recruiting he succeeded with and refined at NDSU.  There are a lot of similarities in the type of people living in and the type of kids one can recruit to Nebraska, North Dakota and Wyoming.

I'll admit that I was surprised at the improvement for this year. However I did say that once in a while you'll have the right group of good players on the line and backfield come together at the same season and do well. Right now you've been very fortunate to have very good players at RB and QB at the same time. That prevents them from stuffing the box and let's an amazing QB do his thing. Take away Hill and put in an average QB, and your run game will become nothing much to be excited about. 

But honestly, the Hill's and Allen's rarely come along as players at Wyo. let alone at the same time.  It's still very early. and I still don't think you're going to be a team near the top every season. But you will have some decent to good years occasionally. 

kat.jpg

Guest Cowboy Junky
52 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I'll admit that I was surprised at the improvement for this year. However I did say that once in a while you'll have the right group of good players on the line and backfield come together at the same season and do well. Right now you've been very fortunate to have very good players at RB and QB at the same time. That prevents them from stuffing the box and let's an amazing QB do his thing. Take away Hill and put in an average QB, and your run game will become nothing much to be excited about. 

But honestly, the Hill's and Allen's rarely come along as players at Wyo. let alone at the same time.  It's still very early. and I still don't think you're going to be a team near the top every season. But you will have some decent to good years occasionally. 

A lot of that is a lack of respect for Wyoming's offensive line. There are a lot of backs that can get 100 yard games behind our line. In fact, we may have the best offensive line in the league next year.

Hill is a big loss, but Wyoming is loaded at running back. The best player in fall and spring camp was Milo Hall. He was scoring long touchdowns and getting big yards during camp. Overstreet, our Parade All-American, was out with a leg injury, but will be back next year. Overstreet is a good north/south runner. He can get you yards between the tackles. Hall is shifty and fast. Last year, people got to defend Brian Hill and Shaun Wick: two guys with similar styles: between the tackles. Next year you'll have to defend between the tackles and shifty and quick.

Our line will be dominant next season.

Josh Allen is back.

The only question for me for Wyoming's offense is who will step up at receiver? CJ Johnson was consistent this year. He'll be in the rotation. Austin Conway will finally get the necessary off-season to learn to run routes. He'll be in the receiver mix next year. John Okwoli is a talented young receiver that Wyoming believes in. He'll get a chance. James Price has shown flashes of being a capable receiver. At tight end Austin Fort, and Harshman will be pushing for minutes to replace Hollister.

Josh Allen will leave at some point, but luckily we've got the guy that recruited Carston Wentz and Josh Allen and the new qb we just signed that we're all very excited about.