Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broncos4life

BSU football about to Helfrich

5 hours ago, edluvar said:

Well one of them is a former player and the others have kids/nephews on the team so I trust what they have to say.  Feel free not to though.  

Being a relative of a player is different then just being a booster.   When you mention that secondarily it really doesn't seem that your credible now.   You should have led with I know some relatives of players not I know some "big boosters"..

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

Tempo offense hasn't done shit for us. I think it's hurt our defense too, our TOP numbers suck and our defense is on the field way too much.

Tempo offense is stupid.   It limits your offensive game plan, causes more penalties and destroys your defense when it doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Tempo offense is stupid.   It limits your offensive game plan, causes more penalties and destroys your defense when it doesn't work.

Yeah.. Seems like the elite teams don't run uptempo. It's done nothing good for Boise St.

I think there are times to use it, but not every drive. 

Just now, IanforHeisman said:

Yeah.. Seems like the elite teams don't run uptempo. It's done nothing good for Boise St.

I think there are times to use it, but not every drive. 

If you have some kind of personnel advantage you can stand at the line of scrimmage and keep the other side from substituting.   Unless you are running out of clock a speed play contest is stupid.

7 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

If you have some kind of personnel advantage you can stand at the line of scrimmage and keep the other side from substituting.   Unless you are running out of clock a speed play contest is stupid.

Unless.....you run 99 plays vs the best D in the country, wear them out and score 21 points on them in the fourth quarter to win the national championship. There is that....

5 minutes ago, (wyo)Ming the Merciless said:

Unless.....you run 99 plays vs the best D in the country, wear them out and score 21 points on them in the fourth quarter to win the national championship. There is that....

Clemson showed how and when it works.  I think it has more to do with how your defense is playing than how your offensive is playing.  Clemson was able to force Bama into 3-outs, and then picked up third downs of their own.  They kept their offense and Bama's defense on the field. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

8 minutes ago, (wyo)Ming the Merciless said:

I think think the speed play hurt Clemson, cost them turnovers and penalties.  They would have not needed to score so much in the 4th quarter if their mistakes hadn't given Alabama opportunities in the first 3 quarters.

The Alabama defense was wore out because the Alabama offense kept going 3 and out.

2 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Clemson showed how and when it works.  I think it has more to do with how your defense is playing than how your offensive is playing.  Clemson was able to force Bama into 3-outs, and then picked up third downs of their own.  They kept their offense and Bama's defense on the field. 

I know and I agree that it is over used....I just was poking a bit of fun given the result on Monday. It killed our D when Dave Christiansen was running it in Laramie. Three and out in 28 seconds after you have just allowed a TD is brutal.

The only thing motion is good for generally is as a key for the QB (and RB's and WR's) to determine coverage.  But nowadays more college defenses are running combo coverages and disguising coverages much better so it becomes less effective.  

I think tempo should only be used after gaining a first down.  The offense is able to catch the defense not ready (particularly after a long-gaining play) and possible has a personnel  advantage.

I agree that the lack of turnovers gained by your defense is what really killed you guys this year.  You guys only had two fumble recoveries and six picks all year.  Your interception ratio of 1.5% was 121st in the country.  Very tough to win when your offense consistently has to drive the entire field to score.  Hell I think you guys lost more turnovers to BYU than your defense created all year long.  Look at the turnover margin in your three losses (WYO - lost 2 gained 1, AFA - lost 1 gained 1, Baylor lost 3 gained 1) and you can pretty much see how you lost.  The defense needs to step it up next year and get more pressure on QB's to generate more picks.

I think if you have a smart, disciplined team and an intelligent, perceptive QB... you can incorporate tempo into presnap motions/movement and really have an advantage.  You rush to the line, take 15 or so seconds to move people around and force the defense to declare and/or show a disadvantage, and you go from there.  If you have a handle on the game, call a quick hitter and change up the tempo.  It gives the defense so much to prepare for, so much to think about, and puts a lot of pressure on them.

I think in 2017 you need to be able to do it all. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

51 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Yep, you have a front 7 like Clemson's and a QB like they have and there's really no gameplan that isn't going to work.

12 minutes ago, Fowl said:

The only thing motion is good for generally is as a key for the QB (and RB's and WR's) to determine coverage.  But nowadays more college defenses are running combo coverages and disguising coverages much better so it becomes less effective.  

I think tempo should only be used after gaining a first down.  The offense is able to catch the defense not ready (particularly after a long-gaining play) and possible has a personnel  advantage.

I agree that the lack of turnovers gained by your defense is what really killed you guys this year.  You guys only had two fumble recoveries and six picks all year.  Your interception ratio of 1.5% was 121st in the country.  Very tough to win when your offense consistently has to drive the entire field to score.  Hell I think you guys lost more turnovers to BYU than your defense created all year long.  Look at the turnover margin in your three losses (WYO - lost 2 gained 1, AFA - lost 1 gained 1, Baylor lost 3 gained 1) and you can pretty much see how you lost.  The defense needs to step it up next year and get more pressure on QB's to generate more picks.

I don't know if it was just bad luck or what.. But we just couldn't force any or get any lucky bounces.

We've always been one of the better teams at creating turnovers.

5 hours ago, (wyo)Ming the Merciless said:

Make-up...a skilled make-up artist could make my hairy ball sack look attractive.

IMG_0921.JPG

Meanwhile, as men, we're objectified based on our natural look.  Total bullshit. 

3 hours ago, (wyo)Ming the Merciless said:

No need to talk about the Spud Bowl...

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

I think if you have a smart, disciplined team and an intelligent, perceptive QB... you can incorporate tempo into presnap motions/movement and really have an advantage.  You rush to the line, take 15 or so seconds to move people around and force the defense to declare and/or show a disadvantage, and you go from there.  If you have a handle on the game, call a quick hitter and change up the tempo.  It gives the defense so much to prepare for, so much to think about, and puts a lot of pressure on them.

I think in 2017 you need to be able to do it all. 

The pre-snap movement stuff is great for the coaches in the box.  It can help a QB read a defense and easily tells him if its man or zone.  The big advantage though is the coaches in the box.  The coach's might be able to see movement that gives them an advantage in the run game.    Even if a linebacker is slow moving across the formation it can give them a great blocking angle in the running game.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:20 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

His holiness Chris Petersen went 10-3 in his final season here...and lost to Hawaii, Washington, East Carolina, and almost Nevada...with more talent than this Bronco team.

Hey, you've convinced me. Chris Petersen sucks.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Yup.. We used to play the whole damn roster. Now it's starters only. 

I dont int think we are developing as well as we used to either. Something needs to change or we're going to be a perennial 9-10 win team.

So not trolling...interested in your thoughts.... how many years in a row do you think you can be a 9-10 win team and not earn access bowl money before blow back on your conference deal starts?