Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broncos4life

BSU football about to Helfrich

15 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

It isn't what it was.  But how many G5 schools would cry apocalypse with the worst season in seventeen years being 8-4?  And that only happened once. 

Boise is still getting the best recruiting classes of the MWC, and coach attrition is commonplace.

The Petersen era is over.  That doesn't mean the program is headed to be the next Fresno State.

BSU fans, myself included became spoiled. We got used to BSU playing harder then the other teams when out matched and beating the stuffing out of teams they were favored against. We aren't used to seeing BSU getting manhandled by a 6-6 Big 12 team. As far as the 8-4 season goes that you mentioned, I think BSU fans like myself need to get used to that (but may never like it). The days of expecting an automatic double digit wins season is over, at least for now. And god forbid fans get upset when BSU continually fails to win the MWC championship, let alone even make it to the game. If fans/players/coaches are fine with what happened this season then that is probably all we will ever get from here on out.

Guest #1Stunner
4 hours ago, Broncos4life said:

I realize nobody believes someone who says they have inside sources.  I have 3 different avenues to great sources.  Frazier and Mattison no spring ball unbelievably suspicious, this is the beginning of the end of Harsin.  Heard about Mattison awhile ago and through questioning Frazier was easy to figure out.  DSG has left, if you think others aren't leaving you need to question big time.  He lost the coaches Year 1, and now the players.  I would post on broncocountry but they don't want to hear the potential news if it's bad.

For those wanting to see BSU fall in football, it's almost a certainty next year.  6-6 or worse is not only out of the question it's looking probable.  I'm prepared BSU fan are you?

If what you are saying is true, a lot of Boise fans will retreat back to their favorite team from their youth:  BYU.

Boise fans will step out of the closet and start being open BYU fans again.

Guest #1Stunner
53 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

BSU fans, myself included became spoiled. We got used to BSU playing harder then the other teams when out matched and beating the stuffing out of teams they were favored against. We aren't used to seeing BSU getting manhandled by a 6-6 Big 12 team. As far as the 8-4 season goes that you mentioned, I think BSU fans like myself need to get used to that (but may never like it). The days of expecting an automatic double digit wins season is over, at least for now. And god forbid fans get upset when BSU continually fails to win the MWC championship, let alone even make it to the game. If fans/players/coaches are fine with what happened this season then that is probably all we will ever get from here on out.

Come home.

Stop this charade.

Lol I talked to Mattison during fall camp last year.  He is not going anywhere.  The idea is absurd in the extreme.  Starting RB at Boise State means $$$$.

As far as the rest of your talk goes, well most of it I can say is BS.  We have been decimated by coaching turnover.  No continuity in the staff.  That hurts the development of the program.  We saw that under coach Pete towards the end as well.  I have it on good authority that was one of the key reasons Pete left for UW.  The G5 P5 separation is more clear in staff turnover than it is anywhere else.

We had the least amount of depth on defense this year as we have had in over a decade.  Next season we will see a huge upgrade on the D-line and in the secondary.  Coach Caldwell, who was the D-line coach on a national title team is so pleased with the Freshmen we brought in last year that we only have one commitable offer out to a D-linemen right now.

Offense is more concerning for sure.  The triple headed OC thing was a disaster.  We will upgrade the O-line in terms of size and talent, I hope we do not try and force them to be a finesse group. 

An improved defense and the run game will get us 8 wins.  Anything more requires better play calling and the development of Rypien.

Anything from 8-11 wins is reasonable.  Anything more or less is very unlikely.

2 hours ago, Broncos4life said:

DSG already is leaving.  I'm not saying Mattison is a certainty, but I would not list him as a return player until he is there and fall semester has started.  Frazier and DSG have something very much in common.  

Right now I think WSU, SDSU, BYU and Airforce are going to be very tough.  I would say most likely we lose those.  New Mexico, Wyoming and Virginia are 50/50 depending on what team shows up.  

I stated the skepticism would be there.  Coaches are leaving and not for better jobs then they left to come to Boise in all cases.  Players are exiting the program.  The team is playing very unspired ball.  Start putting the pieces together and you will see there are a ton of red flags at the moment. Hellfrich bombed his 4th year after a very similar start to Harsin.  Now pretty much all of Pete's guys are gone.  Their work ethic and dedication of the past is gone.  Next year will be the first year of 100% Harsin for the most part.  

Not sure about SDSU next year; we've got an OL to rebuild. As the OL goes, so go the Aztecs. Fingers crossed that we are competitive at the LOS next year.

2 hours ago, Broncos4life said:

Coaches are leaving and not for better jobs then they left to come to Boise in all cases.  Players are exiting the program.  

Name one coach who left for a job that was not a significant pay raise.

Player attrition is lower than it was 3-5 seasons ago.

I think we can all agree that Broncos4life was full of shit when he said he had inside sources and the way BSU ended the season was very disappointing and should be a concern. Never a good sign when a team doesn't show up to games and gets out worked. BSU fans need to get used to it as long as Harsin is the head coach. He'll get your team 8-10 wins a year, just don't expect anything else and if more happens then everyone will be happy.

Guest #1Stunner
37 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

If I enjoyed disappointment and frustration I would have become a BYU fan a long time ago.

BYU just had another Idahoan transfer into the program.

BYU is becoming a destination school of FBS Idahoan talent.

I have a vision of BYU playing a major football game in Eastern Idaho, in Idaho Falls someday.   The venue is not there yet.  But the FANS and TALENT are!!!

17 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

Not sure about SDSU next year; we've got an OL to rebuild. As the OL goes, so go the Aztecs. Fingers crossed that we are competitive at the LOS next year.

We will be fine by the time conference play rolls around.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU just had another Idahoan transfer into the program.

BYU is becoming a destination school of FBS Idahoan talent.

I have a vision of BYU playing a major football game in Eastern Idaho, in Idaho Falls someday.   The venue is not there yet.  But the FANS and TALENT are!!!

I also had family members who moved to Utah, but it doesn't me I'm going to do it. Some mormons love Utah and BYU. It's just not for everyone. Some like to expand their horizons.

8 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

I think we can all agree that Broncos4life was full of shit when he said he had inside sources and the way BSU ended the season was very disappointing and should be a concern. Never a good sign when a team doesn't show up to games and gets out worked. BSU fans need to get used to it as long as Harsin is the head coach. He'll get your team 8-10 wins a year, just don't expect anything else and if more happens then everyone will be happy.

Yep.  With Harsin things will never be as good or bad as they might seem.  That is the worst part about Bronco Country.  The board is either insanely high or insanely low.  The Bronco posters here seem to keep a more even keel.

8-10 wins will be the norm.  With maybe a 12 win type season sprinkled in every 4 years. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yep.  With Harsin things will never be as good or bad as they might seem.  That is the worst part about Bronco Country.  The board is either insanely high or insanely low.  The Bronco posters here seem to keep a more even keel.

8-10 wins will be the norm.  With maybe a 12 win type season sprinkled in every 4 years. 

I agree, Harsin will probably never bring BSU back to it's glory days, but he'll never run it into the ground either. It's a tough spot to be in as a BSU fan who is used to more, but it appears to be reality for now.

1 minute ago, dshawfan said:

You follow the Red & Black exponentially more closely than I do, but an inexperienced OL always makes me nervous; hope you are right.

Heard you guys actually have some talent coming in of red shirt at WR.  Who knows maybe an inexperienced O-line will for SDSU to develop a real passing game early in the season and later in the year if the O-line gells it might make you all the more dangerous.

Really hard to prognosticate before spring ball even starts.

it's really hard to sustain success over long periods of time. BSU has the infrastructure, name brand and recruiting cachet banked to have a much higher floor than your average G5 team, but staying at your ceiling indefinitely just isn't going to happen.  Curious to see how next year goes. 

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

I think what it indicates is that you can no longer simply chalk certain games up as a win.  It used to be we absolutely count on going 8-0, or 7-1 at worst, in our conference.  Now, just about every game is a toss up, as every MWC team besides SJSU, and Nevada and Fresno State of late, have shown they can hang with or beat BSU. 

It used to be that if the game were close, BSU was almost certainly going to win it.  Now, the attitude is that if the game is within 3 scores in the 4th quarter, BSU will find a way to choke it away. 

If we go back to this last season, 10-3 could be 7-6 pretty easily.  6-6 isn't absurd, it's the low water mark.