Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

OT: Clemson vs Alabama, who you got?

107 posts in this topic

If Harbaugh wins one I'll agree. Michigan is a big enough school to do so at. What he did at Stanford/San Fran definitely makes him an elite coach, but I still think Saban is on another level. Alabama was in a slump when he came around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saban himself said he was a bad coach but a great recruiter.  He also recruits coaching staff.  Hence, the whole process thing.  Clemson manipulated a team that couldn't throw the ball.  Doesn't  take away what Saban has done in his career.

 

But happy for the Clemson fans.  I still remember being in Clemson for Deshaun's accidental debut, where he ended up torching my Heels.  I knew right away that dude was something else.  Just didn't think they could form a defense like they did.  Hats off....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Clemson!!!!  So stoked the Rebels beat the Empire!

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, retrofade said:

If you were given a choice of any head coach to take over your program starting tomorrow, who would it be? Don't take age or how long he might stay into account, just what coach would you want to take over.

My choice would most certainly not be Satan. I can think of at least five coaches I'd rather have.

I pick Saban hands down every time to take over my program from a winning standpoint.  I can't stand him, but I respect what he has accomplished.  He might not be the best game day coach so I see what you are saying there, but he is arguably the best program builder in college football history.  To accomplish what he has over the years in this era of player and coaching mobility is simply amazing.  Say what you will about the SEC and their grades (and I get it) but Saban doesn't get partial qualifiers to my knowledge, has a reduced number of scholarships compared to most legendary coaches, and is coaching with the most parity ever in college football and he is able to win 5 titles and a hell of a lot of football games.

He can build a program like no other.  Look at all of the different players and coaches that he has won with.  The constant is Saban and his process.  Part of being a great coach is getting your players and other coaches to buy in and trust the process.  That is what makes him great.  He has built a program of stability and excellence.  I don't think a lot of people realize how special a year is and how many things have to go right for a team to win a title, let alone 5.  That doesn't happen by luck 5 times (but he did have some like the year they let him rematch LSU).  Yes he recruits the best, yes he gets good coaches, and yes Bama spends more than probably anyone, but he is there as the glue that keeps it all together.  

I really hate that I had to type that because I really question his morals and I feel like coaches like him are absolutely wrong for college football.  I would struggle to have him as my coach though because he is whiny, hypocritical, and just a general piece of shit.  The winning would be awesome, but I don't know if the cost would be worth it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Plenty of great college coaches can't handle themselves in the league.  Different game, different players.

It is the difference between knowing how to coach the game and knowing how to recruit.

College coaches like Saban, Kelly, and many others successful at the college level out recruit their opponents.  On gameday they barely keep their pants from dropping and embarrassing themselves.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

I pick Saban hands down every time to take over my program from a winning standpoint.  I can't stand him, but I respect what he has accomplished.  He might not be the best game day coach so I see what you are saying there, but he is arguably the best program builder in college football history.  To accomplish what he has over the years in this era of player and coaching mobility is simply amazing.  Say what you will about the SEC and their grades (and I get it) but Saban doesn't get partial qualifiers to my knowledge, has a reduced number of scholarships compared to most legendary coaches, and is coaching with the most parity ever in college football and he is able to win 5 titles and a hell of a lot of football games.

He can build a program like no other.  Look at all of the different players and coaches that he has won with.  The constant is Saban and his process.  Part of being a great coach is getting your players and other coaches to buy in and trust the process.  That is what makes him great.  He has built a program of stability and excellence.  I don't think a lot of people realize how special a year is and how many things have to go right for a team to win a title, let alone 5.  That doesn't happen by luck 5 times (but he did have some like the year they let him rematch LSU).  Yes he recruits the best, yes he gets good coaches, and yes Bama spends more than probably anyone, but he is there as the glue that keeps it all together.  

I really hate that I had to type that because I really question his morals and I feel like coaches like him are absolutely wrong for college football.  I would struggle to have him as my coach though because he is whiny, hypocritical, and just a general piece of shit.  The winning would be awesome, but I don't know if the cost would be worth it.  

He is certainly going to put some great recruits on your college football field.

You just hope he finds someone to draw up the X's and O's for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Clemson's offensive line took over that game starting in the 2nd quarter.  Sark and Saban had a terrible offensive game plan that never opened up the field,  and the running game got clogged up,  resulting in a lot of 3 and outs. 

Clemson played,  and coached,  brilliantly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I want the changing offensive coordinators to be a distraction for Bama.  Bama got beaten up by the defensive line of Clemson last year as well.

I hope Clemson wins 35-31.

I think Bama will win by a similar score.

Well...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It is the difference between knowing how to coach the game and knowing how to recruit.

College coaches like Saban, Kelly, and many others successful at the college level out recruit their opponents.  On gameday they barely keep their pants from dropping and embarrassing themselves.   

 

And why do they outrecruit their opponents? Derp derp derp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game really changed when Bo Scarborough went out with injury and then Alabama started having a hard time continuing drives.  Lots of 3 and out along with 1 first down and punt drives for Alabama. 

I don't think the Alabama QB is really very good.  He's a great athlete, but he's not back there going through progressions and shredding a defense.  He's making easy, safe throws, handing the ball off, or doing read option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The game really changed when Bo Scarborough went out with injury and then Alabama started having a hard time continuing drives.  Lots of 3 and out along with 1 first down and punt drives for Alabama. 

I don't think the Alabama QB is really very good.  He's a great athlete, but he's not back there going through progressions and shredding a defense.  He's making easy, safe throws, handing the ball off, or doing read option.

Well, he's 18 going against either the best or second best defense in college football. 

That is one thing I'd say Saban is actually not good at, developing QBs. I have never seen a Saban team and been impressed with the QB play. It isn't just that they have the RBs and Oline that they don't need it, they also just have never had it.

Also... anyone else notice the stark difference between supposed all-world Browning and Watson against this Bama defense? Browning is overrated playing in the PAC where he gets a lot more time to throw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

The game really changed when Bo Scarborough went out with injury and then Alabama started having a hard time continuing drives.  Lots of 3 and out along with 1 first down and punt drives for Alabama. 

I don't think the Alabama QB is really very good.  He's a great athlete, but he's not back there going through progressions and shredding a defense.  He's making easy, safe throws, handing the ball off, or doing read option.

Once Clemson figured out how to stop Alabama's running game, the Bama offense stalled.  They had a few big plays that kept them in the game but they had a lot of possessions where they didn't get much and had to punt.  Was great to see Alabama's offense stall so often, and that Bama ends up losing their OC which is what these big schools do to other schools all the time.   If Alabama offense would have just gotten a few more first downs they probably would have won game.  You keep giving the ball back to a capable offense like Clemson, its going to burn you. And it did.   I can't seem to find the TOP stat.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, did Bauer pick the exact score and winner of the game?  Crazy..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, happycamper said:

Well, he's 18 going against either the best or second best defense in college football. 

That is one thing I'd say Saban is actually not good at, developing QBs. I have never seen a Saban team and been impressed with the QB play. It isn't just that they have the RBs and Oline that they don't need it, they also just have never had it.

Also... anyone else notice the stark difference between supposed all-world Browning and Watson against this Bama defense? Browning is overrated playing in the PAC where he gets a lot more time to throw

I mean, how many QBs has Alabama developed ever?  They got a kid from here who was supposedly a 5 star kid and had offers everywhere, and he got beat out by the kid playing now.  I can't remember anyone who's made much of a splash at QB ever from that school.  Jake Browning runs that open offense that Petersen likes, but ultimately they were pretty soft against a good defense.  Alabama ate up their line.

I really hate the whole "athlete playing QB" thing.  I'd much rather have a Watson, Browning, or Brett Smith guy back there.  I have more appreciation for guys who will stand in there, make throws, pick apart a defense, go through progressions, etc.  Guys can run and I'm fine with that, but the Alabama QB would rather run than do the things I mentioned.

 

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

Wait, did Bauer pick the exact score and winner of the game?  Crazy..........

I don't think so.  I thought Bama would win.  I can't remember what score I picked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fowl said:

Clemson by 10.

Clemson D is very good and under-rated - almost as good as bama's.  They will shut down the run (19th in the country) and make Hurts throw the ball to win.  The only run defense bama has played that is statistically better than Clemson's was LSU (14th in country - 3.40 ypc) and bama rushed for 4.2 ypc and only scored 10 pts.  

I see a couple of Hurts picks resulting in points deciding this game.

Clemson O is balanced enough to move the ball on the bama D.  Bama won't be able to send just four to pressure Watson as his OL allowed the fourth lowest sack percentage in the country this past year (sacked on just 2.6% of pass attempts).  Plus with his scrambling ability if they bring 5-6 then he'll tear them up on the ground (given man coverage) or find an open guy one on one.

 

ahem...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I mean, how many QBs has Alabama developed ever?  They got a kid from here who was supposedly a 5 star kid and had offers everywhere, and he got beat out by the kid playing now.  I can't remember anyone who's made much of a splash at QB ever from that school.  Jake Browning runs that open offense that Petersen likes, but ultimately they were pretty soft against a good defense.  Alabama ate up their line.

I really hate the whole "athlete playing QB" thing.  I'd much rather have a Watson, Browning, or Brett Smith guy back there.  I have more appreciation for guys who will stand in there, make throws, pick apart a defense, go through progressions, etc.  Guys can run and I'm fine with that, but the Alabama QB would rather run than do the things I mentioned.

 

I really like the composure of Hurts.  I think he'll turn out to be another "game manager" type quarterback that Alabama thrives on, but who can also run. 

It's not in Nick Saban's nature to have a playmaker QB who can win or lose a game.  It just so happens he has a true frosh right now, so there's some good and bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fowl said:

ahem...

 

You were wrong on stopping the run, Hurts throwing picks, winning by 10, and getting pressure with four.  You were about 40% accurate.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

And why do they outrecruit their opponents? Derp derp derp.

Because stupid people like you are mesmerized by style over substance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, SanDiegoPoke said:

Rooting for Clemson just because I dislike Alabama more :-P

I am not fond of either school but I agree bama is the most offensive of the two. Only Texas and Ohio State think more of themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best national championship games I've seen!  Very entertaining.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.