BacksThePack

Cal fired Dykes

46 posts in this topic

What the heck is Berkley doing firing someone this time of year? Missed so coaches who might have been available.

 

Is this were Les ends up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

What the heck is Berkley doing firing someone this time of year? Missed so coaches who might have been available.

 

Is this were Les ends up?

or Chip Kelly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the only rational conclusion is they've got a deal done with Chip Kelly. Of course, Cal isn't exactly known for brilliant athletics decisions. Examples include hiring a Mormon to coach a team located in far left wing Berzerkely and overextending themselves and having more than twice as many men's teams as SDSU and therefore becoming deeply in debt. Despite that they now fire a guy who they owe, what, three more years at $2.5 million? Assuming they hire Kelly, let's see how well he does without having Phil Knight's plane to fly in recruits and now that a lot more other programs are running no-huddle up-tempo offenses.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

To me, the only rational conclusion is they've got a deal done with Chip Kelly. Of course, Cal isn't exactly known for brilliant athletics decisions. Examples include hiring a Mormon to coach a team located in far left wing Berzerkely and overextending themselves and having more than twice as many men's teams as SDSU and therefore becoming deeply in debt. Despite that they now fire a guy who they owe, what, three more years at $2.5 million? Assuming they hire Kelly, let's see how well he does without having Phil Knight's plane to fly in recruits and now that a lot more other programs are running no-huddle up-tempo offenses.

And now that more teams have figured out how to defend and preempt no-huddle, up-tempo offenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

To me, the only rational conclusion is they've got a deal done with Chip Kelly. Of course, Cal isn't exactly known for brilliant athletics decisions. Examples include hiring a Mormon to coach a team located in far left wing Berzerkely and overextending themselves and having more than twice as many men's teams as SDSU and therefore becoming deeply in debt. Despite that they now fire a guy who they owe, what, three more years at $2.5 million? Assuming they hire Kelly, let's see how well he does without having Phil Knight's plane to fly in recruits and now that a lot more other programs are running no-huddle up-tempo offenses.

Kelly has been fired twice in two years and was also labeled a racist by his former players.  I can't imagine that Cal wants to touch that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Dykes out at Cal?"

#WelcomeTo60YearsAgo

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Kelly has been fired twice in two years and was also labeled a racist by his former players.  I can't imagine that Cal wants to touch that.

This may be the dumbest post I've read in weeks on this board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot lose to San Diego Stinkin' State and keep your job.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Kelly has been fired twice in two years and was also labeled a racist by his former players.  I can't imagine that Cal wants to touch that.

Well If their AD is competent, they will most definitely want "to touch that". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Les Miles has been available for months so I'm skeptical it's him. Still, I agree he would be a lot better hire than Chip Kelly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UNLV would be smart to pick up Dykes as OC/associate HC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dykes just got extended a year ago through 2019 IIC and was reportedly earning $2.5M. The sportsbooks would therefore set the odds of his having any interest in serving as a UNLV coordinator as 1,000-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two NFL coaches are paying Chip Kelly to not coach them anymore.  Cal could hire him at a lower salary as well until the NFL pays Chip off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Les Miles has been available for months so I'm skeptical it's him. Still, I agree he would be a lot better hire than Chip Kelly.

I suspect Miles is in a position to take a step back and carefully evaluate his next move. He doesn't have to jump back in with the coin he's made.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I suspect Miles is in a position to take a step back and carefully evaluate his next move. He doesn't have to jump back in with the coin he's made.  

If I am Western Michigan I go all out to recruit Les Miles. Les seems like a guy that just wants to be a football coach. He is from Michigan, and could win big there. It would be a great landing spot for him.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fanhood said:

If I am Western Michigan I go all out to recruit Les Miles. Les seems like a guy that just wants to be a football coach. He is from Michigan, and could win big there. It would be a great landing spot for him.

I think he can vacation for a few months and then get a nice P5 job. I don't see a fit there at all.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm Kelly or Miles, I take a broadcast/analyst job for at least one year. Sit it out and regroup.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say WMU should talk to Dykes. You can win at La Tech, you can win at WMU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of Dykes' success came with Tony Franklin as his OC.  When Tony left this past season, you knew the writing was on the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.