Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fort Fun

OT: Fleck just gutted WMU's class

10 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

That's what I thought when Petersen raided Boise.

his 'croots will be good enough to compete +win but he'll have to land elite tier dudes to really take it to the next level imho 

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

his 'croots will be good enough to compete +win but he'll have to land elite tier dudes to really take it to the next level imho 

I don't know if any west coast teams can stand up to Alabama but he took Boise St level recruits and turned them into the best team this side of the Mississippi. For this year anyway, the lose a ton.

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

I don't know if any west coast teams can stand up to Alabama but he took Boise St level recruits and turned them into the best team this side of the Mississippi. For this year anyway, the lose a ton.

really it was OL talent i was referencing. he matched up ok with bama except on the OL and that killed them...browning isn't good enough to compensate for a bad OL.  

On 1/7/2017 at 10:02 AM, badfish said:

Glad we don't have to worry about this with Rocky/Fisher. It's the price you pay for the up and comer. Baylors Rhule vowed not to do that to Tempe, which was pretty cool

Yeah when you can recruit from your backyard and better recruits, I would be saying the same thing.

Fleck as in preck. Reminds me of Billy Martin.

I was still living in the East Bay when after being fired by George Steinbrenner for a second time, Martin resurfaced with the A's. He ostensibly did a great job turning a turd into a contender. However, he did it by pitching youngsters Mike Norris, Rick Langford, Matt Keough and Steve McCatty almost 300 innings per year and basically ruined their careers. Which was OK with Billy since the A's success got him back with the Yankees.

Fleck is the same kind of selfish self promoter.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Fleck as in preck. Reminds me of Billy Martin.

I was still living in the East Bay when after being fired by George Steinbrenner for a second time, Martin resurfaced with the A's. He ostensibly did a great job turning a turd into a contender. However, he did it by pitching youngsters Mike Norris, Rick Langford, Matt Keough and Steve McCatty almost 300 innings per year and basically ruined their careers. Which was OK with Billy since the A's success got him back with the Yankees.

Fleck is the same kind of selfish self promoter.

ladder-climbers are a real thing...Herman is the same way.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:01 PM, Mike Morgan said:

Mike MacIntyre did the same thing to SJSU when he took the Colorado job. Some of his best players for the Buff's this year were guys that had committed to SJSU. What bothered me most about this is having attended a fund raising event a couple years before MacIntyre and most of his staff left in which boosters were solicited to donate money that would be earmarked specifically for the recruiting budget. That means boosters ended up donating money so that MacIntyre and his coaches could recruit players for Colorado. That's why I will never donate money specifically for recruiting. I only donate for scholarships.

You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. 

It's OK to donate money to recruiting as long as you have a new coach building up a team. But once you hit success, obviously the coach moving up to P5 is a risk. 

The NCAA needs to fix countless things, but one of them is this. They need to  ban departing coaches from being able to sign commits from their old school. 

kat.jpg

On 1/12/2017 at 7:17 PM, Fowl said:

Who were the recruits Petersen flipped from Boise when he left?  I know there were three guys on the defense who were former SDSU commits who flipped.

Commits that left for UW when Pete left:

Jalen Greene, QB (who switched again near signing day to USC and is now a WR)

Drew Sample, TE

Jesse Sosebee, OL

Will Dissly, DE (converted to TE)

Jaylen Johnson, DE

Greg Gaines, DT

Brandon Lewis, CB

Plus a handful of other guys that had Boise offers but hadn't yet committed anywhere chose UW.

6 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Commits that left for UW when Pete left:

Jalen Greene, QB (who switched again near signing day to USC and is now a WR)

Drew Sample, TE

Jesse Sosebee, OL

Will Dissly, DE (converted to TE)

Jaylen Johnson, DE

Greg Gaines, DT

Brandon Lewis, CB

Plus a handful of other guys that had Boise offers but hadn't yet committed anywhere chose UW.

I still laugh at how Boise State fans began calling their beloved Coach Pete by the not-so-flattering name "Poach Pete".

Champ Logo.jpg

9 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The NCAA needs to fix countless things, but one of them is this. They need to  ban departing coaches from being able to sign commits from their old school. 

Nice idea, the problem is the NCAA doesn't recognize "commitment". Every student is a recruitable athlete until they sign a NLI.

On 1/12/2017 at 1:40 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

really it was OL talent i was referencing. he matched up ok with bama except on the OL and that killed them...browning isn't good enough to compensate for a bad OL.  

Well and his sophomore decision making skills. Watching the difference between Browning's reaction time and decision making vs Watson was night and day, Browning looked good because, it seems to me, that Washington didn't face an elite pass rush until Alabama

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.