Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fewer Bowls in Future

Meaningless bowls. Too many bowls. Made-for-TV bowls. Shrinking bowl attendance.

There have never been more bowl games, and three years into the College Football Playoff era there are more questions than ever about why these games are being played at all. Especially when high-profile players such as Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette choose to skip the postseason to protect their bodies for the NFL draft.

There is currently an NCAA-imposed freeze on the creation of new bowls that caps the field at 40 through 2019. Over the next few years the people invested in the bowls -- commissioners, athletic directors and bowl executives -- will consider ways to improve the bowl system and answer the question: What should bowls be?

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootbal...wl_ga.html

I see that MWC TEX has posted this story earlier. Will one of the mods please remove this post?

7 hours ago, 1066 said:

Meaningless bowls. Too many bowls. Made-for-TV bowls. Shrinking bowl attendance.

There have never been more bowl games, and three years into the College Football Playoff era there are more questions than ever about why these games are being played at all. Especially when high-profile players such as Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette choose to skip the postseason to protect their bodies for the NFL draft.

There is currently an NCAA-imposed freeze on the creation of new bowls that caps the field at 40 through 2019. Over the next few years the people invested in the bowls -- commissioners, athletic directors and bowl executives -- will consider ways to improve the bowl system and answer the question: What should bowls be?

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootbal...wl_ga.html

I see that MWC TEX has posted this story earlier. Will one of the mods please remove this post?

Just expand the playoffs. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree! Image result for Chicken Dinner Signs

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Too what extent? 

Want March Madness scenario- regional playoff games?

Extend the current system by two or more additional games?

If I had any say:

12-team playoff. P5 champs, top 3 G5/Indy, 4 at-large

Rd 1: Top four get a bye, rest of the games at the higher seed's home stadium.

Rd 2: Games played at: Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Peach, Orange, Fiesta (pick four)

Rd 3 (semis): Games played at remaining two from list above

Championship: Bids for location, minimum of 50k

15 non-CFP bowl games. That's about 1/3rd of FBS schools so we stop scraping the bottom of the barrel with 5-7 teams. % of revenue from all non-CFP games distributed evenly among all conferences, remaining % of revenue distributed proportionally among conferences of teams that were selected for games. This way everyone still gets some money but still some financial advantage for conferences who get one or more teams into bowl games. Conferences can contract with no more than two bowl games, other slots are at-large.

It would probably never work but it's one way to cut some of the crap games and make the playoff more meaningful.

Not surprised. A tv station owns most of them when it comes to influence and dollars...so they are primed for tv sheduling, not start time for attendance or with regionality to minimize travel...especially with bowls trying to get P5's in, even if they're further away, then letting a G5 in. 

The programers have forgotten the roots of CFB. It's about game day experience, not the perfect watch time. 

13 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Too what extent? 

Want March Madness scenario- regional playoff games?

Extend the current system by two or more additional games?

16 team playoff beginning second weekend of December and concluding on weekend of or following New Year's Day. Use fifteen of the biggest bowls and rotate the rounds every year. Non-playoff bowls can continue, but let them wax or wane with the market. Scholarship players are contractually obligated to finish the entire season which includes post-schedule games such as CCGs, bowls, and playoff games.

No-Brainer...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

I can see a situation in the future where bowls will moved from city to city like franchises do now. 

Since new bowl games aren't/can't/won't, be created for a while if ever, I can see a bowl game being moved from one city to another. Like the potato being moved from Boise to another warmer climate, or the NM Bowl to say, Lubbock. 

The bowls/cities are just hypothetical and off the top of my head, but you guys get my meaning... if a bowl game isn't being supported well in a certain place, then it would just move to where it can get supported... what do you think guys?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

It looks like Chicago wants a bowl game at Wrigley Field, at least according to Brett McMurphy of ESPN.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 32m32 minutes ago

Cubs want to start bowl game at Wrigley Field in 2020 @TeddyGreenstein reports. No bowls can be added before 2019

8 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

16 team playoff beginning second weekend of December and concluding on weekend of or following New Year's Day. Use fifteen of the biggest bowls and rotate the rounds every year. Non-playoff bowls can continue, but let them wax or wane with the market. Scholarship players are contractually obligated to finish the entire season which includes post-schedule games such as CCGs, bowls, and playoff games.

No-Brainer...

Good luck with the expansion and enforcement of everything you posted.

first problem is they aren't 'Meaningless bowls'...they're really more like exhibition games that matter to the teams, fans, and TV networks.

second issue is that low level bowl games get better TV viewership than ranked basketball contests games. (see below)

third issue, no one has been able to show me how anyone is harmed by some 5-7 team making a bowl.

In a suite high above FAU Stadium during the second quarter, American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco recalled his time as an executive at CBS when they televised an Indiana-Butler game in 2012 that ended in an overtime upset of the No. 1 Hoosiers. Aresco was thrilled until he saw the Gildan New Mexico Bowl—between Arizona and Nevada—crush it in the ratings by 1.9 to 1.5. “That’s when I realized,” he said, “football had become king.”

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/21/college-football-bowl-games-ratings-revenue-boca-raton

as for the playoffs, football is a DEMANDING sport...no team should have to win more than 3 games to win the Championship...thus why I support a 6 or 8 team playoff model...anymore than that is silly to me as the teams will be exhausted by that point.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

How are Bowl Games "meaningless "?

It counts towards to total win/loss count for the season, the team gets extra practices, the fans get to watch an additional contest, the school collects revenue from merchandise sales that occur specifically because of the Bowl Game.

It also often allows for intersectional matchups that might otherwise never occur.

There is a reason teams almost never turn down an invitation.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

23 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I can see a situation in the future where bowls will moved from city to city like franchises do now. 

Since new bowl games aren't/can't/won't, be created for a while if ever, I can see a bowl game being moved from one city to another. Like the potato being moved from Boise to another warmer climate, or the NM Bowl to say, Lubbock. 

The bowls/cities are just hypothetical and off the top of my head, but you guys get my meaning... if a bowl game isn't being supported well in a certain place, then it would just move to where it can get supported... what do you think guys?

I +++++ing hope not. I like the New Mexico Bowl, and so does the community. 30,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Some bowls had as little as 10k, 15k....one bowl (Vandy vs an ACC team) had half the attendence that the New Mexico Bowl had. We have a good sponser in Gildan, and our politicos won't to fund it more to get a better conference tie in. I hope that state rep brings that proposal back up in the round house's session coming up. It's good for the economy and tourism. There's a lot to do and see in this area, ski, museums, old town, Sandias, great local food, Route 66 etc. New Mexico Bowl is a great way to show the country what we are really about, and not the garbage lies started by people who've never been here.

18 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Good luck with the expansion and enforcement of everything you posted.

The reasonable man adapts to his world. The unreasonable man expects the world to adapt to HIM. Therefore, all progress is made by unreasonable men.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

6 hours ago, hawkeyelobo said:

I +++++ing hope not. I like the New Mexico Bowl, and so does the community. 30,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Some bowls had as little as 10k, 15k....one bowl (Vandy vs an ACC team) had half the attendence that the New Mexico Bowl had. We have a good sponser in Gildan, and our politicos won't to fund it more to get a better conference tie in. I hope that state rep brings that proposal back up in the round house's session coming up. It's good for the economy and tourism. There's a lot to do and see in this area, ski, museums, old town, Sandias, great local food, Route 66 etc. New Mexico Bowl is a great way to show the country what we are really about, and not the garbage lies started by people who've never been here.

And that's why there are bowls.  It's not to reward schools.  As long as cities & companies see bowls as a viable marketing device they'll continue.  TV viewers count way more then attendance.

This post is somewhat off topic however the following is the list of how much money each conference will receive from the CFP system:

33% 11.6 AAC   plus 10 mm
27% 9.3 MWC   plus 10 mm
20% 7.0 SBC     plus 10 mm
13% 4.7 MAC    plus 10 mm 
7% 2.3 CUSA    plus 10 mm
100% 35 Total Performance

Information from CUSA site and Arkansas Democrat (Arkansas On Line.)

Since the CFP was implemented in 2014, the Group of Five conferences -- the American Athletic, Conference USA, Mid-American, the Mountain West and the Sun Belt -- get $85 million annually, providing what Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson called the league's largest source of revenue.

Each of the five conferences receives a base of $10 million; the remaining $35 million is divided based on performance. The six computers previously used to compile the BCS rankings are used to make the conference rankings.

Specific formulas for the payout aren't made public, but according to two sources, that money is split into 15 equal shares, with the league that finishes first receiving five shares, second receiving four and so on. If the Sun Belt finishes third, like it expects, three shares would be worth $7 million. The last two years, the Sun Belt finished fifth, which earned it $2.3 million.

The American is expected to finish first, followed by the Mountain West. The MAC was third in the rankings before losing all six of its bowl games, while the Sun Belt was 4-2 -- a performance that expects to provide the jump and $4.7 million more than it earned from CFP distribution the past two years. The league then splits that equally among its 11 football members, meaning ASU and its brethren are set to receive about $636,000.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/jan/07/asu-set-for-bigger-sun-belt-cut-2017010/?f=sports