Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Boise football and Aztec basketball.

College sports is cyclical...happens to every program. With as many coaching changes and assistants lost at bsu, it's not terribly surprising. As for SDDU, could be age catching up with coach. Of course, could be a one year dip too. 

Basically it's f'ing tough to be on top for long term periods of time........lot's of programs get real good for a number of years then fade 

I doubt BSU FB will ever drop into the gutter, just because the program has attained a level where they range in the upper echelon of the MWC......might not be 1st or title teams every year, but I doubt BSU will have the wheels come off.

SDSU BB is still on a good trajectory, but the Aztecs haven't had the longevity of winning that BSU FB has.......and once Fisher departs it remains to be seen if SDSU can remain a top MWC BB program............BSU has at least withstood numerous FB HC changes.........SDSU has not won under anyone but Fisher.

I've just watched the 3 MWC TV games and finishing up the SDSU at NV game..........when I saw this thread, I suspected the Aztecs pulled a UNLV & got crushed by the Pack tonight..........as the seconds wind down it's a 4 point game.

So calling for the priest to give SDSU their last rights is a bit premature - Now a 2pt game - now a 3 point loss on the road to arguably the MWC's most talented team.

This isn't a bad loss for SDSU......the loss to UNM at home was worse by a long shot.

So BSU isn't steam rolling teams and SDSU isn't winning 13 & 14 MWC games..........both programs are in fine shape ............and as I said above, sustaining utter dominance over the long haul doesn't happen to any programs...they all come back to earth.

We are 3 games into the MWC with a long way to go.........things will get weird and teams will start to separate........but I think SDSU BB & BSU FB will be in good shape next year 

31 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

2014 was the season. There have been two seasons (2015 and 2016) since that. If you want to go by years, the MWC CCG was played on December 6, 2014 ... that would technically be 2 years and 30 days. ;) 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

It's pretty  obvious that everyone else is cheating. You're  all a bunch of  cheaters. Thats  what you are.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

It's pretty  obvious that everyone else is cheating. You're  all a bunch of  cheaters. Thats  what you are.

We hold these truths to be self evident. Howbeit I don't believe SDSU will win the BB title this year or that BSU will win the football title next year. The cycle, if it is that, generally lasts more than 1 or 2 years.

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

2014 was the season. There have been two seasons (2015 and 2016) since that. If you want to go by years, the MWC CCG was played on December 6, 2014 ... that would technically be 2 years and 30 days. ;) 

What are you, a fcking mathematician?  

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

I'm starting to think Harsin is the next Bronco Mendenhall. He'll be good enough to never get fired, but he'll only get you one conference championship once every 4-5 years. I hope I'm wrong, but after watching the last two games where BSU came out unprepared and less hungry than the other team, to me that is a coaching problem and I don't think it will be easy to fix.

10 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Both seem to have lost their magic.. Still good teams that can beat anyone but no one is scared of them anymore. 

Wonder what they gotta do to get it back before it's gone for good.. ???

We are missing 2 starters in Pope and Shrigley.

We lost at Nevada, because Kell shot 1 for 12.... with many of those wide open looks.

SDSU will be fine, we went 16-2 last year in conference, this will be a different team come tournament time IF we can get healthy.....

Change is inevitable only growth is optional.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, BroncoOrange said:

I'm starting to think Harsin is the next Bronco Mendenhall. He'll be good enough to never get fired, but he'll only get you one conference championship once every 4-5 years. I hope I'm wrong, but after watching the last two games where BSU came out unprepared and less hungry than the other team, to me that is a coaching problem and I don't think it will be easy to fix.

This is a very interesting analogy.

Bronco Mendenhall = Brian Harsin / Rocky Long.   All very good coaches, who will never be outstanding, and who will always lose easy games.

However, the fear of Boise sucking is overblown.  They have a LIFETIME agreement with the MWC that they get their own ESPN contract.  ESPN loves Boise because of the novelty of the blue turf, I think.  It will prop Boise up for a long time.

And SDSU will be good because San Diego is an amazing city, full of amazing people, with amazing food.  You can't keep that town down for long.

Guest #1Stunner

School with the least upside in the MWC is Fresno.

They are in a terrible location, and have no fans for any of their sports outside of Football.  Their football team has never had much success, either.  It's tough....

11 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Both seem to have lost their magic.. Still good teams that can beat anyone but no one is scared of them anymore. 

Wonder what they gotta do to get it back before it's gone for good.. ???

Well said. The mystique is gone for both programs.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

This is a very interesting analogy.

Bronco Mendenhall = Brian Harsin / Rocky Long.   All very good coaches, who will never be outstanding, and who will always lose easy games.

However, the fear of Boise sucking is overblown.  They have a LIFETIME agreement with the MWC that they get their own ESPN contract.  ESPN loves Boise because of the novelty of the blue turf, I think.  It will prop Boise up for a long time.

And SDSU will be good because San Diego is an amazing city, full of amazing people, with amazing food.  You can't keep that town down for long.

A lifetime agreement with ESPN is great for BSU.....now. Should BSU fall on hard times, which every program inevitably does, Boise wouldn't have much leverage in negotiating that contract and it's concievable that the pendulum could swing the other way and BSU could be making less than the rest of the conference. 

13 hours ago, Slapdad said:

College sports is cyclical...happens to every program. With as many coaching changes and assistants lost at bsu, it's not terribly surprising. As for SDDU, could be age catching up with coach. Of course, could be a one year dip too. 

Just checked and Fish turns 72 on March 24. That's not excessively old but I think two other factors are in play. One is he's a cancer survivor and that can age one prematurely. Probably more significant is his son Mark's ALS. Both Steve and Mark are greatly loved on Montezuma Mesa and I gave them my best regards at the tailgate tent before our opening football game in September. Mark seemed fine and cheerful but watching him along the bench this basketball season, he seemed to keep seated a lot more frequently than getting up during timeouts. Helping Mark battle his disease has to be wearing on Steve so all things considered, you have to wonder how much energy he still has to put into his job with SDSU.

God bless them both.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Just lost all your truck driving school bashing privileges.... simple math.  Harsin has been coach for three years.  Won a championship his first year, last year and this year, 2015 & 2016 BSU did not win the league.  So, just to be clear.2014, 2015, & 2016 with 2014 being the championship year would mean it has been two years not three.