Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

CSU - Put a fork in us.

32 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Former UNLV coach Lon Kruger in his last season with us had 7 transfers and 2 JC kids playing.  At least we didn't have the academic issues.  

When Shyatt took over, I think he had a rotation of just 7 guys and we did OK.  LE can make it work, oh wait....he's no Larry Shyatt.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

32 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Former UNLV coach Lon Kruger in his last season with us had 7 transfers and 2 JC kids playing.  At least we didn't have the academic issues.  

With the way Marvin had to put this current team together after the 11th hour, I feared something like this might happen to us as well. I actually thought we might lose one or two to this very issue, but that bullet looks to be dodged so far.

Anytime this happens, it isn't a failure of recruiting so much as a failure of staff to monitor what is going on in the program. Most of the programs in the conference have to rely on JC's and transfers to a hefty degree, but their staffs stay on top of these kids. Looks like Larry's didn't. If LE remains, expect some Assistants to get axed I'd think. For Rams sake, I hope LE is out the door though. He really hasn't done much there at all.

1 hour ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

LE makes it sound like he was blindsided.

"We will continue to support these young men in their academic careers," Eustachy said in a statement. "Our top priority is to educate, and we will continue to emphasize this in all that we do. It is a hard lesson, but we will continue to support these young men and provide access to the resources needed to excel in the classroom and graduate. This is disappointing for our entire program, especially the players still competing on the court. All of us will remain focused on our 'Team Together' philosophy that is key to our success. We look forward all three getting on track in their academic pursuits towards graduation and joining us on the court next season."

http://www.reporterherald.com/news/ci_30701957/three-csu-basketball-players-ruled-academically-ineligible

He knew. He knew when signed them, and he knew they were ineligible when he played them. Dude is a snake 

12 minutes ago, pokebball said:

It appears that these kids will continue to play games until the spring semester starts on Jan 17th?  Is that right?

That's horrible if true. Nothing would send a stronger message that academics aren't important. It's already been a poor message playing them this long 

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I'm pretty incensed by this whole situation.  When Jack Graham hired LE, it is reported that he shortly thereafter contacted the lawyers for CSU to find a way out of the contract.  He saw this coming.  I'm not calling on JG to foot the buyout, but I would like to see him step up and contact all the wealthy CSU faithful that he had lined up for the stadium, in order to raise the money to give LE a comfortable retirement effective immediately.

This is the latest and worst in a series of failures by LE to respect the integrity of CSU.  No he didn't directly fail any classes, and of course that is on the players.  However, the academic support at CSU for student athletes is second to none...if it is used.  I do put it on the coach to make sure that his athletes are attending class and taking advantage of the tutoring available.  There is zero excuse for an athlete to fail an undergraduate class at CSU, there is simply too much support.

If this gets NCAA attention, then I doubt the administration will have much say in it.  Pretty sure there'll be plenty of folks helping him pack the van and get down the road whether he's still the HC or not.  LE is done in The Fort.  There's a lot of pissed off folks in Fort Collins right now.

Strong candidate for Mrs. Heers Honors English vocab word of the week.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

I believe there are something like 6 transfers coming in next year, aren't there?  A few might already be there, sitting their year, but I think there are a few JC commitments too.  Perhaps CSU fans can help?

Three transfers sitting out this year will be joined by a D-1 transfer via South Plains JC according to current plans.

5 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Every program eventually deals with an academic issue.  Here's how to handle it properly:

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112409aaa.html

Yep, that is.

It's disgusting that officials knew about this and did nothing just so they could win a couple more games. The way CSU has handled this situation is a complete embarrassment 

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

And how embarrassing was that?

No school in the MWC is in the business of paying a coach $1 million dollars to have to recruit BB players from the FB team.  I don't care if he wins the conference this year, I want him gone.  This is not what CSU is about.

There's a rumor that there may be some rules that can be used to keep one or more of the three eligible.  Special exceptions.  Cool, the best thing that could happen to the student athlete.  Good for them.  In the meantime, screw the shortcuts, it's time to part ways and hire a coach.

O it was incredibly embarrassing. Just putting that out there in case any CSU fans wrote off the possibility of using football players. Hopefully it doesn't come to that for you guys, because I wouldn't want to have anything in common with that 2014-15 SJSU basketball team.

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

And how embarrassing was that?

No school in the MWC is in the business of paying a coach $1 million dollars to have to recruit BB players from the FB team.  I don't care if he wins the conference this year, I want him gone.  This is not what CSU is about.

There's a rumor that there may be some rules that can be used to keep one or more of the three eligible.  Special exceptions.  Cool, the best thing that could happen to the student athlete.  Good for them.  In the meantime, screw the shortcuts, it's time to part ways and hire a coach.

This would be a monumental black eye if they went this route. Holy shet, they are handling this incredibly horrible. This isn't just an Estachy thing. There might be multiple heads that need to roll for this one. 

4 hours ago, pokerider said:

taking a chance on a guy with academic issues is nothing new in college bb, but taking several guys and then putting your whole team at risk is foolish.  
Eustachy has been there long enough to get decent recruits that he should not have to rely so much on transfers all the time. 

Jerry Tarkanian made a career on taking suspect players with various issues 

14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Jerry Tarkanian made a career on taking suspect players with various issues 

So did Bob Huggins. There is a way to do it. 

You need to do your homework beforehand, have good systems to guide them, and have harsh accountability. CSU is failing greatly in one or all of these areas 

9 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

So did Bob Huggins. There is a way to do it. 

You need to do your homework beforehand, have good systems to guide them, and have harsh accountability. CSU is failing greatly in one or all of these areas 

O just make sure that the classes they take have professors who are big basketball fans. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

This would be a monumental black eye if they went this route. Holy shet, they are handling this incredibly horrible. This isn't just an Estachy thing. There might be multiple heads that need to roll for this one. 

I agree. The university itself has not handled this well, these players shouldn't get to play in the upcoming games.

Eustachy is one weird dude.  I was at the Boise/CSU game and during time outs he just sat in a chair away from the players and was totally disengaged.  There was one time out I remembers specifically where the CSU players were all just standing around on the court and there were no coaches talking with them at all.  They looked uncomfortable and had no idea what to do.

In the past, I used to enjoy watching Eustachy rant and rave during the game.  Us opposing fans gave him a lot of crap about it.  Now it seems he is simply checked out and doesn't even care.  Sad really.

5 minutes ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Eustachy is one weird dude.  I was at the Boise/CSU game and during time outs he just sat in a chair away from the players and was totally disengaged.  There was one time out I remembers specifically where the CSU players were all just standing around on the court and there were no coaches talking with them at all.  They looked uncomfortable and had no idea what to do.

In the past, I used to enjoy watching Eustachy rant and rave during the game.  Us opposing fans gave him a lot of crap about it.  Now it seems he is simply checked out and doesn't even care.  Sad really.

I'm really sad we wont get to see LE and the Rammies in Reno this year.