Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Boise St at UNLV

Matchup Boise State (9-4, 2-0 Mountain West) at UNLV (8-7, 1-1 Mountain West)
Date Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Time 8:00 p.m.
Site Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV CBS Sports Network (Brent Stover, Jordan Cornette)
Radio ESPN Radio 1100 AM/100.9 FM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith)
Audio UNLV Gameday App & UNLVRebels.com
Stats Gametracker at UNLVRebels.com

UNLV leads the all-time series 7-6

UNLV is 5-1 vs. Boise State in Las Vegas. Boise State’s only win at the Thomas & Mack Center was in 2015

The two schools split the season series last year with each winning on its home floor

UNLV is 337-143 (.702) all-time against teams that currently make up the Mountain West

Boise State has won both its MW games so far this year (83-80 at Utah State, 74-73 vs. Colorado State) and comes to Las Vegas having won five straight and six of its last seven.

The Broncos are 2-3 in true road games this season

Junior guard Chandler Hutchison (18.0 ppg) leads the team in scoring and is one of three averaging in double figures. Sophomore guard Paris Austin (10.8 ppg) and senior forward Nick Duncan (10.7 ppg) are the others  -  Hutchison also leads the team in rebounding (8.5 rpg), while Austin is the team’s assist leader (2.7 apg)

Head coach Leon Rice is in his seventh year as a collegiate head coach - all with Boise State - and has a career record of 131-79 (.624)

The Runnin’ Rebels are looking for their second straight win as they are coming off an 81-75 victory over Wyoming in their MW home opener

Marvin Menzies current career record is 206-118 (.636). He earned win No. 200 on Nov. 19 against Cal State Fullerton

UNLV is 7-3 at home this season

In UNLV’s 15 games this season, it has had six different players lead the team in scoring and seven different guys lead in rebounding

Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 989 games played

The Runnin’ Rebels have posted an all-time record of 1,248-526 (.704)

The Runnin’ Rebels are playing their 34th season in the Thomas & Mack Center in 2016-17. UNLV has posted an all-time record of 465-104 (.817) in the arena since it opened in 1983

VS Wyoming:

Five Runnin’ Rebel players scored in double figures as UNLV earned its first Mountain West win of the season

UNLV converted its final eight free throws to seal the victory

Jovan Mooring scored a game-high-tying 17 points with a career-high seven assists (just one turnover). Four of his assists came in the final six minutes

Wyoming made just 19.2 percent of its 3-pointers (5 of 26)

Kris Clyburn pulled down a career-high 13 rebounds

Christian Jones had his second double-double of the season (15 points, 10 rebounds) and fifth of his career

Troy Baxter had 4 fouls in 11 minutes vs Wyoming

UNLV Numbers:

Clyburn has pulled down 32 rebounds in his last three games

Clyburn has had four games with 10+ rebounds

Ben Coupet has not played in 4 straight games and in 5 of the last 6 games

Tyrell Green took a season high 17 FG attempts against Wyoming with 8 coming from behind the arc which is also a season high

Christian Jones scored in double figures vs Wyoming (15) which was his first game in double figures since Nov 16 against UC Riverside

Jovan Mooring is scoring at 9.4 ppg which is near his season high 

Dewayne Morgan has not played in 6 straight games 

Uche Ofoegbu has scored in double digits his last two games and for the 4th time on the season

Jaylen Pyser is hitting 85.3% of his FT's

Poyser is 12 points away from 400 in his career 

Poyser is the only player averaging more than 30 minutes of playing time on the season

Green is shooting 45% from the field and 42.6% from the arc on the season and 17.9% & 15.4% in MWC games

Clyburn, Ofoegbu, Green & Poyser are all shooting better than 75% from the FT line

Green (93) & Clyburn (92) lead UNLV in total rebounds

Troy Baxter has 38 rebounds and 38 fouls

UNLV averages 73.3 ppg

UNLV has scored 514 points in 1st halves and 586 in 2nd halves

UNLV has taken fewer 3pfFG attempts than opponents

UNLV has taken 355 FT's compared to 273 for opponents

UNLV has turned the ball over 214 times compared to 180 turnovers by opponents

UNLV is averaging 9,898 attendance per home game - low was 8,202 vs Incarnate World and high was 14,116 vs Kansas

Lowest attendance to see UNLV this season was 2,464 at Colorado St

24 minutes ago, FLBookworm said:

Hutchinson need to be shut down.

He has yet to be shut down. Closest thing would be his only game not getting into double figures in scoring and that was @ current rpi #8 Oregon where he had 8 pts, 9 rbs, and 5 ast. Austin, Jessup, Donut, and Reid are all capable of leading the team in scoring if that were to happen. Boise has been pretty decent on the road this year. Last 4 games on the road has been two close wins and two close loses

Boise still creeping up in the rpi. Now they are #77

38 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

He has yet to be shut down. Closest thing would be his only game not getting into double figures in scoring and that was @ current rpi #8 Oregon where he had 8 pts, 9 rbs, and 5 ast. Austin, Jessup, Donut, and Reid are all capable of leading the team in scoring if that were to happen. Boise has been pretty decent on the road this year. Last 4 games on the road has been two close wins and two close loses

i'm just glad sjsu isn't 351 any more...:P

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Check the stats from the Wyo game.

10 minutes ago, FLBookworm said:

UNLV shut down Wyo best player/shooter maybe?

You did? You consider letting a player score 17 (over his average, btw) shutting him down? If that is your definition then there is a high likelihood that they will shut down Hutch. 

BTW, I was really trying to figure out what you were getting at, so I looked really hard and realized Wyoming shot 65% from inside the arc. Hutch is one of the most efficient scorers in the league from inside the arc. Pretty much the exact opposite of the point you were trying to prove 

I like Boise's chances here. UNLV thinks they've found a little magic in Jovan Mooring running the point decently but he's still getting his sea legs so to speak and Boise is going to scout this.  I'm not sure Mooring can be successful being game planned against right now.  UNLV will be in scramble mode and I think we'll see "bad" UNLV on Wednesday for a significant stretch of the game.  Hope I'm wrong and Marvin has a secret plan though.

16 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I like Boise's chances here. UNLV thinks they've found a little magic in Jovan Mooring running the point decently but he's still getting his sea legs so to speak and Boise is going to scout this.  I'm not sure Mooring can be successful being game planned against right now.  UNLV will be in scramble mode and I think we'll see "bad" UNLV on Wednesday for a significant stretch of the game.  Hope I'm wrong and Marvin has a secret plan though.

I haven't seen enough UNLV to make a good assessment. I did watch the Duke game, but I don't think that's a fair representation. I'm not really sure how this game will go. I'll feel very relieved if Boise can get out of there with a win 

43 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I think this game goes either way. 

BSU got a bit of luck to beat CSU at home........and UNLV crapped the bed in about 12 minutes that turned the CSU game into a laugher.

I think / hope UNLV is starting to come together as a unit and if that is the case, I feel better about UNLV winning games I once thought they would lose (Wyoming for example).

But in this MWC who knows what we will get on any game 

Who'da thought Fresno St would beat Nevada, or New Mexico go in and take down SDSU in Viejas.........or even UNLV beating what is/was a hot Wyoming team?!?!

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I think this game goes either way. 

BSU got a bit of luck to beat CSU at home........and UNLV crapped the bed in about 12 minutes that turned the CSU game into a laugher.

I think / hope UNLV is starting to come together as a unit and if that is the case, I feel better about UNLV winning games I once thought they would lose (Wyoming for example).

But in this MWC who knows what we will get on any game 

Who'da thought Fresno St would beat Nevada, or New Mexico go in and take down SDSU in Viejas.........or even UNLV beating what is/was a hot Wyoming team?!?!

Lot of parity this year, I will grant you that.

8 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Boise really needs this win with the Aztecs coming to town, would suck to waste a 2-0 start.

Agreed. Football season is over. A win Wednesday should assure a big crowd for SDSU. Good showing there and fans start buying in. Boise is wait-and-see when it comes to basketball 

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Agreed. Football season is over. A win Wednesday should assure a big crowd for SDSU. Good showing there and fans start buying in. Boise is wait-and-see when it comes to basketball 

The Graham years really hurt. We would lose every single big home game and it would kill attendance. Its been nice to have a change under Rice. Seems like we win the big ones more often than not.

13 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

The Graham years really hurt. We would lose every single big home game and it would kill attendance. Its been nice to have a change under Rice. Seems like we win the big ones more often than not.

That was a big issue with Graham. They also couldn't maintain success. They'd be good one year and then drop back down for 2 or 3 years before an uptick one year spike. The downtown started with Jensen and was a gradual decline over 15 years. 

Leon's teams have always played well when the fans show up 

9 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Lowest attendance to see UNLV this season was 2,464 at Colorado St

Well, UNLV is no Minnesota so what do you expect? 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg