Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AfriPoke

Well, that's a wrap.

3 minutes ago, AfriPoke said:

Congrats to the Aztecs, Lobos, Falcons, and Warriors on their bowl wins.

Here's to the long dark of the offseason.

UGH... I hope there's plenty or reruns available somewhere online... just so we can go get a fix when we're hurtin!

Challenger weird weed drugs challenger23

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

24 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Everyone, remember this feeling when some moron tells you that there are too many bowl games.

Bowl games will disappear in the near future.  There are way too many bowl games and anyone that says different is delusional.  Why does a team with a losing record go to a bowl?  Seriously.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

Whenever I'm feeling blue, I'll just stare at the gleaming SEC Mountain Division Co-Champion belt sitting around my waist.

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

3 hours ago, Hoser said:

Bowl games will disappear in the near future.  There are way too many bowl games and anyone that says different is delusional.  Why does a team with a losing record go to a bowl?  Seriously.

unfortunately, as long as they can make a single dollar, most of these bowl games will simply continue.  

8 hours ago, Hoser said:

No.  They're not going anywhere.  The only way bowl games disappear is if teams start refusing to participate.  That ain't happening.

In fact if any of the bowls happen to go under, there will be three clamoring to take their place.  That's the CFB post season, and people love post seasons.  The formats may evolve, but the bowls are here to stay for a very long time.

Too many bowls?  Absolutely.  But thank God for that.  I get to feast on non stop college football for a whole second season.  I think most fans would agree.  It's a dirty gluttonous feeling to know that you're watching some teams that didn't earn their shot, but you still get to watch them.

If the NCAA were to move to allowing every team 15 post season practices regardless of bowl eligibility it might cause some teams to quit losing their ass on the travel, etc. and some of the minor bowls might go away.  Beyond that, I don't see the system changing much.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

No.  They're not going anywhere.  The only way bowl games disappear is if teams start refusing to participate.  That ain't happening.

In fact if any of the bowls happen to go under, there will be three clamoring to take their place.  That's the CFB post season, and people love post seasons.  The formats may evolve, but the bowls are here to stay for a very long time.

Too many bowls?  Absolutely.  But thank God for that.  I get to feast on non stop college football for a whole second season.  I think most fans would agree.  It's a dirty gluttonous feeling to know that you're watching some teams that didn't earn their shot, but you still get to watch them.

If the NCAA were to move to allowing every team 15 post season practices regardless of bowl eligibility it might cause some teams to quit losing their ass on the travel, etc. and some of the minor bowls might go away.  Beyond that, I don't see the system changing much.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think there are too many bowls. I used to.

Here's my thinking: 128 FBS teams. If half have a winning record that would be 64 teams playing in 32 bowl games. There are 41 (I think). As a reward to the players (who aren't paid--yes, they get scholarships, etc.) for working hard during the season and earning a winning record, they should be given the opportunity to play one more game. That game--along with the fun, gifts, dinners, etc.--is an opportunity for those players to have one more moment as a team, one more chance to play the game they love, and an opportunity to prove themselves against another opponent they'd probably never play. 

Now, having said that, the reward for players should be a nice place (looking squarely at places like Boise or Detroit or Mobile) to play. An opportunity for players, their families, and fans alike to have a good time. Not saying Boise didn't offer a things to do, but not the greatest reward. There's not too many bowls, it is just that some of those bowls are in places the vast majority of fans would rather not go to. 

What I would rather see is a more equitable distribution of those bowls to all teams. I would like to see more G5vP5 matchups rather than G5vG5, but those games can prove to be exciting for both the fans and the player (see this year's SDSU v Houston). I know that money is tied into this and sponsors would rather a brand name P5 show up and that's on us the G5s to step up our game. Specifically, the number of fans travelling. However, watching a few of the P5 bowls recently on, the stadiums felt empty. The Quick Lane bowl in Detroit (another wonderful vacation destination) had an announced attendance of 19,117, but probably less than 10,000 in the stands. I bet CSU could do better than that and that's saying something. Attendance for all the bowls is falling, but I think that has more to do with the economy (which I don't buy is improving) and people having to make decisions about spending money. 

In all, I say, let them bowl. Give the players rewards for a good season and let them play.

1 hour ago, AKram said:

As a reward to the players (who aren't paid--yes, they get scholarships, etc.) for working hard during the season and earning a winning record, they should be given the opportunity to play one more game. That game--along with the fun, gifts, dinners, etc.--is an opportunity for those players to have one more moment as a team, one more chance to play the game they love, and an opportunity to prove themselves against another opponent they'd probably never play. 

Just have the school send them to Disneyland.

110926run_defense710.jpg

6 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Are you saying have all the bowl games in Anaheim? I'm good with that!

Now that I think about it, why aren't there more bowls in the Los Angeles Area.  You have the Rose Bowl and nothing else.   California is full of football stadiums that can sit 30,000 people.  Let's have a couple more bowl games in the Coliseum, maybe one in Sacramento.   Ditch the bowl games on the Islands that no fans can realistically afford to get to. 

32 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

25 minutes ago, AKram said:

Are you saying have all the bowl games in Anaheim? I'm good with that!

No, if compelled to reward mediocrity, just skip the game and go to Disneyland.  Disneyland is good at giving token recognition (and selling a lot of tickets to family members).  Besides, I own Disney stock :)

110926run_defense710.jpg

18 minutes ago, Antarctic79 said:

Now that I think about it, why aren't there more bowls in the Los Angeles Area.  You have the Rose Bowl and nothing else.   California is full of football stadiums that can sit 30,000 people.  Let's have a couple more bowl games in the Coliseum, maybe one in Sacramento.   Ditch the bowl games on the Islands that no fans can realistically afford to get to. 

Once the new stadium for the Rams is complete I could see a bowl game there.  As for Sacramento they don't have a Bowl size stadium that I know of.  At least not in the 30k seating capacity.  In nearby Fresno they had the California Raisin Bowl but, that didn't work out and they moved to Vegas to become the Vegas Bowl. 

14 hours ago, Hoser said:

espn makes FAR too much money on bowl games to let them just disappear...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

I just realized that this is the first year in a long time when I haven't watched a single play of a single bowl game. Not even highlights. Didn't even watch the Boise game (had other plans and no way to record it).

Oddly, I haven't even missed them. Which is surprising to me.

14 hours ago, Hoser said:

Ya know, there's a very simple solution, DON'T WATCH!

11 hours ago, pokerider said:

unfortunately, fortunately, as long as they can make a single dollar, most of these bowl games will simply continue.  

FIFY............do you have a problem with capitalism?

3 hours ago, Antarctic79 said:

There used to be a bowl game in Anaheim (now Angels) Stadium, the Freedom Bowl. SDSU played in it during the Marshall Faulk era. Our coach, Al Lugenbill, basically gave the game to Tulsa by calling not one but two unnecessary onsides kicks, both of which were unsuccessful. Since the stadium is still there, I see no reason somebody couldn't bring that game back. However, local merchants and hoteliers have to want to do so.

I used to think there were too many bowl games but like some others, have reconsidered. The major reason is eliminating them is going to mean that only a small handful of unworthy P5 schools won't get to go whereas probably three times that many crummy G5s wouldn't get to go. Bowl games give teams extra practice time and are somewhat of a recruiting advantage so let's not advocate something that is going to further distance the power conferences from us.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I like the bowl games.  I wish outsiders got more matchups against good P5 teams later in the bowl season.  

It's tough for me to complain about their being too many bowls when a couple times during the holidays I sat down hoping to watch a bowl game for a couple quarters and there was nothing on.