BleedRebelRed

2017 MWC Basketball Tournament - will show that MWC no longer needs a large arena.

1 hour ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

We are a broke ass conference.  When the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority pays 80% of the T&M rent for this event and provides hotels for 22 teams (men's & women's) you can't turn that down.  The LVCVA is not going to pay that if we move to another Vegas venue nor is it going to pay that for any other city.  What other city is willing to put up that kind of support for a one bid league.  Moving the tournament out of the T&M is nonsense.

Bingo

17 hours ago, toonkee said:

SDSU shows up to Vegas every year since they've been good.

Why didn't anyone go to Denver?

Wyoming represented well in Denver.  NM showed well.  That's pretty much it.  AFA had some fans there for their games.  They had more fans there than CSU did (and CSU brings the Denver market don't you know).

The other schools didn't travel to Denver as it's not the "destination" location that LV is. 

Wyoming was kinda down the three years the tournament was in Denver.  One of the years we went on a run and played SDSU in the final.  That was the highest attended year in Denver. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

7 minutes ago, pokebball said:

We should move the tournament to Denver

Why would this work now when it didn't before?

Figuring WYO will travel slightly more, but not a ton more, and UNM about the same, you will lose UNLV, SDSU and a fair amount of UNR fans and replace them with CSU and AFA? Or is USU gonna roll large to Denver when they wouldn't to LV?

How does this work financially for this broke conference? Will Denver give us the same deal Vegas does? That's a PAC market, why do they care about hosting us?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Why would this work now when it didn't before?

Figuring WYO will travel slightly more, but not a ton more, and UNM about the same, you will lose UNLV, SDSU and a fair amount of UNR fans and replace them with CSU and AFA? Or is USU gonna roll large to Denver when they wouldn't to LV?

How does this work financially for this broke conference? Will Denver give us the same deal Vegas does? That's a PAC market, why do they care about hosting us?

TIC

But since you ask, if you Reb fans aren't going to get your asses to the T&M to support YOUR conference...

Also, Wyo owns the Denver market!!!  We'll bring it :)

• Like 1

Just now, pokebball said:

TIC

But since you ask, if you Reb fans aren't going to get your asses to the T&M to support YOUR conference...

Sorry, flew over my head.

An no, Reb fans aren't gonna be there this year in our hometown, in our home arena, and that is sad as fuch. The majority of our fans do suck (an some are clearly special needs as they continue to argue we shouldn't have canned Rice). The minority that is still there and always be there will come.

We are far from perfect. But when UNLV, SDSU and UNM are all good, the tourney prints money for this conference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

An no, Reb fans aren't gonna be there this year in our hometown, in our home arena, and that is sad as fuch. The majority of our fans do suck (an some are clearly special needs as they continue to argue we shouldn't have canned Rice). The minority that is still there and always be there will come.

We are far from perfect. But when UNLV, SDSU and UNM are all good, the tourney prints money for this conference.

Bottom line, the conference tournament has to be in a destination location.  I'd add Wyoming to your list of teams too.  The best tournaments were when BYU and Utah were in the conference, and they, UNM, Wyoming and UNLV were strong.  BYU and Utah both traveled better than SDSU, even when their teams were mediocre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Bottom line, the conference tournament has to be in a destination location.  I'd add Wyoming to your list of teams too.  The best tournaments were when BYU and Utah were in the conference, and they, UNM, Wyoming and UNLV were strong.  BYU and Utah both traveled better than SDSU, even when their teams were mediocre.

Agreed, WYO always travels well, but they seem to travel the same regardless of how good the team is. Also agreed that BYU and Utah travel better than pretty much any team here now. Especially the Zoobs. SDSU and UNLV (and we will find out about UNM this year) need to be contenders for their fans to show. It is what it is. Every other team just registers a blip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

Agreed, WYO always travels well, but they seem to travel the same regardless of how good the team is. Also agreed that BYU and Utah travel better than pretty much any team here now. Especially the Zoobs. SDSU and UNLV (and we will find out about UNM this year) need to be contenders for their fans to show. It is what it is. Every other team just registers a blip.

I think UNM travels well, even if they're not contending.  I think they and Wyoming are similar in that they travel pretty well either way, with UNM fans bringing more overall.

The BYU and Wyo fans always had a great time together at our bball tournaments.  Back in the WAC days when the tournament traveled to the prior year's winner home (Albuquerque), they sat the BYU and Wyo fans right next to each other.  And we complain about bonehead things that Thompson and the MWC office does. :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think UNM travels well, even if they're not contending.  I think they and Wyoming are similar in that they travel pretty well either way, with UNM fans bringing more overall.

Sadly there weren't as many Lobo fans there last year as there had been in years past. We'll see what happens this year...

6 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Sadly there weren't as many Lobo fans there last year as there had been in years past. We'll see what happens this year...

There really wasn't anyone there last year. 

The average attendance figures show some easy-to-spot trends.  If UNLV and UNM are early exits, attendance plummets.  SDSU hasn't gotten knocked out early in a while, so I can't say what effect that scenario would have.  But the last two years have been abysmal as far as overall tourney attendance goes.  I almost would like to see what attendance would be with UNM,SDSU, and UNLV all out early.  Throw in Wyo who show up when they have a chance, and I predict an interesting view of the seats.

• Like 1

I'll be there again this year.  I went when it was in Denver and saved a lot of money, but I would still rather go to Vegas for the tournament.  If we ain't gonna win the whole thing, might as well be somewhere where I can get drunk, have something to do before and after the game and not be as disappointed when we lose.

12 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

... or move it up a weekend, so that the conference final is the Sunday that starts that week and not the Saturday ending it?

Currently that is what the WCC does, but because BYU is in that conference now they have to skip Sunday in the middle of the tournament and finish the tournament on a weekday.  Having BYU was why the MWC got into the rut of having the final on Saturday and not getting a better TV deal by having it another day (since there is a glut of final games that day).

Due to NASCAR and PAC-12 conference (whose leadership has been much more forward thinking as far as scheduling and securing venues) the MWC will from now forward always be a secondary draw in LV on that weekend.

You'd have to shorten the conference season. The last conference games are played the weekend of the 4th.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

12 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

As a skier and someone who has kids who are figure skaters I can tell you that any weekend during ski season (which extends into early March) is unpleasant to book in SLC - as far as both cost and availability.

https://www.trivago.com/?cpt=3504703&iRoomType=1&aHotelTestClassifier=&iIncludeAll=0&aPartner=&iPathId=35047&aDateRange[arr]=2017-03-10&aDateRange[dep]=2017-03-12&iGeoDistanceItem=0&iViewType=0&bIsSeoPage=false&bIsSitemap=false&

Rooms in SLC during the Tournament are a fraction of the price of rooms in LV.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

When Wyoming won the Tournament in '15, by all accounts, we had the most fans there.

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

When Wyoming won the Tournament in '15, by all accounts, we had the most fans there.

True.  I would say Wyoming had the most.  UNLV and UNM were bounced out early, which is one of the main reasons the overall attendance was so low.  A low-attending Fresno fanbase made it even worse the next year.