Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Colorado State

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Texas Tech is the oldest P5 team in college basketball.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

Oldest as in they have the oldest program or oldest as in they have a bunch of balding should be starting a family BYU aged players running around on the court ? 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Yup. JUCO is for head cases (if they have any talent) that washed out or guys who got overlooked. There are serviceable players there, but an extremely few who can carry a team. Clyburn is a good example, as was Kendrick a few yrs back. Serviceable players, but no one who is going to be a difference maker.

Quality transfers is what is needed for quick builds. Mercenary players, like 2001 said. And yeah, we are gonna suck until the HS players develop. Good news is many of our best players are underclassmen. Expect this trend to continue next year as we fill in holes with low-grade Sr transfers (like Uche).

Your evaluation of Juco players is spot on, if the guy has talent and is a complete loon most schools will take him because they know he'll probably bolt after a year and as long as he doesn't kill anybody a guy like Calipari, K or some other well established coach can sign him, have him go to class for 1 semester and then declare after March without much risk. Today the only kids who go to Juco are the ones so bad academically and aren't good enough to be 1 and dones. I was wondering if we would see more of the Brandon Jennings/Emanuel Mudiay type players but neither have had monumental success so I think guys might think twice about going pro overseas after high school and then declare for the draft. Until the 1st guy does it and becomes a star in the NBA we might not see too much of that

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Guest RoscoesDad

I played JUCO ball in 1989-1990 for arguably the best program in CA.  That team  had 5 guys sign D1 and about 5 others that signed D2.  Those days are gone.  We still have one of the best JUCO programs in the state, however this year I think we had only 1 D1 guy.  There is still good talent to be found in JUCO but the good programs aren't stacked like they used to be.

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

I played JUCO ball in 1989-1990 for arguably the best program in CA.  That team  had 5 guys sign D1 and about 5 others that signed D2.  Those days are gone.  We still have one of the best JUCO programs in the state, however this year I think we had only 1 D1 guy.  There is still good talent to be found in JUCO but the good programs aren't stacked like they used to be.

Tark built UNLV up going with JC guys.........the changes with prep schools and such has depleted the JC ranks since the 1990's

6 hours ago, just_chris said:

Oldest as in they have the oldest program or oldest as in they have a bunch of balding should be starting a family BYU aged players running around on the court ? 

Virtually all of their players are juniors and seniors.

5 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The people who want Eustachy gone are right.  Eleven of Colorado State's fifteen players are transfers.  That's not going to get it done, and it says he's too lazy to recruit.

He recruited transfers.

And yes, he does let his assistants do 90% of the recruiting.  Doesn't matter though, he's got what seems to be a never ending contract with the buyout from hell.

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

He recruited transfers.

And yes, he does let his assistants do 90% of the recruiting.  Doesn't matter though, he's got what seems to be a never ending contract with the buyout from hell.

Recruiting transfers is the lazy route.

Just now, ph90702 said:

Recruiting transfers is the lazy route.

Yeah, tongue in cheek.

I do think it's smart to always be looking for transfers that are the right fit, but you do need to get the best HS players you can.

Eustachy's philosophy is to try and get enough success with the transfers that the better HS players will be attracted to the program.  I can see both wisdom and stupidity in that.

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I just don't think Menzies would tolerate what rice did. I liked what he said at the beginning of the season, and what he told recruits. 'I'm making no promises on your playing time you're going to have to earn it. And I don't care if you're happy with your minutes, I'm the coach and I will do what I feel is best'. Now maybe fisher would have kept doing whining and acting like a brat, but I have noticed that when these rebels get a bad call against them they don't whine about it. Maybe Menzies has something to do with that, maybe he doesn't.  

I also like what Menzies has been able to do with this ragtag bunch so far,  even if it's only for a half. TOs changed the game last night, (and several others) hopefully Johnson will be better next year. 

Lol

36 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

He recruited transfers.

Thing about CSU is that the bar there is pretty low - if LE can get CSU in the top half of the MWC most years and get to post season tournaments now and then, he's done as good as anyone who's ever coached at CSU. There isn't a big history of winning there for anyone to point to as the litmus test.

It's similar to UNLV FB - there's no history of prolonged winning only the occasional blind squirrel season once every so often - If Sanchez comes in and gets a run of 6 to 8 win seasons he's exceeded pretty much every coach UNLV's ever had 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Thing about CSU is that the bar there is pretty low - if LE can get CSU in the top half of the MWC most years and get to post season tournaments now and then, he's done as good as anyone who's ever coached at CSU. There isn't a big history of winning there for anyone to point to as the litmus test.

It's similar to UNLV FB - there's no history of prolonged winning only the occasional blind squirrel season once every so often - If Sanchez comes in and gets a run of 6 to 8 win seasons he's exceeded pretty much every coach UNLV's ever had 

From the outside looking in, that may be true.  Tim Miles took The RAMS to the dance in '12, and LE took pretty much that same team to the dance in '13.  Among RAM fans, the bar is the NCAA tournament.  Like everybody we dream of final fours, but the expectation is the tournament.  That may be setting the bar too high, but that's where it's at.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

From the outside looking in, that may be true.  Tim Miles took The RAMS to the dance in '12, and LE took pretty much that same team to the dance in '13.  Among RAM fans, the bar is the NCAA tournament.  Like everybody we dream of final fours, but the expectation is the tournament.  That may be setting the bar too high, but that's where it's at.

Aren't you an Idaho fan? Go back to the big sky message board buddy