Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCPoke

So how did Fresno State whiff on recruiting Josh Allen?

4 minutes ago, DCPoke said:

Story by Fresno Bee on how they mis-recruited Josh Allen.  Thank God for that!  Click This

636087836414721756-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-NOR

You think he'd be the same caliber player with that coaching staff? Doubt it. At this level development and system is so important for QBs. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

SDSU didn't recruit Allen either. Whether SJSU did or not, I don't know but Allen was just one of many kids Brian Sipe didn't locate or recruit. I loved Sipe as a Brown, winning the MVP despite his size and coming within a fingertip of taking Cleveland to the SB. However, he was a really bad QB coach and among the reasons I don't like legacies to be brought back to campus as coaches since the average fan always views them as having more potential than they actually do.

Boom goes the dynamite.

44 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SDSU didn't recruit Allen either. Whether SJSU did or not, I don't know but Allen was just one of many kids Brian Sipe didn't locate or recruit. I loved Sipe as a Brown, winning the MVP despite his size and coming within a fingertip of taking Cleveland to the SB. However, he was a really bad QB coach and among the reasons I don't like legacies to be brought back to campus as coaches since the average fan always views them as having more potential than they actually do.

Ron caragher recruited neither Allen nor dru brown, Hawaii's qb, who went to Los Gatos high (like 5 fxcking miles from campus) and who actually wanted to go to sjsu so he could stay home.

He lit us up first chance he got.

Let's be honest here Wyoming got extremely lucky and there's nothing wrong with that as it takes some luck. Let's not pretend that Bohl and Vigen have some super eye for talent though.  Hell, Bohl let go of the guy who found this kid for him.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Unless Sipe was prescient I wouldn't expect him to recruit a kid like Allen.  How many 6-2 kids with decent arms are there in California?  A TON.

23 minutes ago, k5james said:

Let's be honest here Wyoming got extremely lucky and there's nothing wrong with that as it takes some luck. Let's not pretend that Bohl and Vigen have some super eye for talent though.  Hell, Bohl let go of the guy who found this kid for him.

I think Vigen is a great developer of quarterbacks.  When Bohl and company first arrived in Laramie, their only option was a senior JC transfer (after Brett Smith declared and Jason Thompson transferred to Utah with DC).   Wyoming got a graduate transfer last year, but barring injury Allen would have taken over in the 2nd game.   Before arriving at Wyoming, they did develop Carson Wentz....who they recruited to NSDU.   

I think they do a great job os spotting talent, and developing talent.   Wyoming had a solid year with a bunch of underclassmen who weren't highly recruited.  

Just now, CO_Poke said:

I think Vigen is a great developer of quarterbacks.  When Bohl and company first arrived in Laramie, their only option was a senior JC transfer (after Brett Smith declared and Jason Thompson transferred to Utah with DC).   Wyoming got a graduate transfer last year, but barring injury Allen would have taken over in the 2nd game.   Before arriving at Wyoming, they did develop Carson Wentz.   

I think they do a great job os spotting talent, and developing talent.   Wyoming had a solid year with a bunch of underclassmen who weren't highly recruited.  

I'm specifically referring to Allen's recruitment.  The stars aligned perfectly for you guys to land him.  His recruitment would have exploded if he had spent one more year in JC.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Actually, Sipe was gone when Allen was on the JC market. I do remember there being some interest from SDSU in Allen. Either his coach or a JC writer tweeted about contact between the two. So either Horton or Morgan took a look at him, but decided to pass. They brought on JC QBs, Daniel Prieto & Jimmy Walker, as walk-ons instead.

Prieto played in a way tougher CIF league than Allen. His HUDL reel is as impressive. He was a late addition, right before summer. Jimmy Walker just announced via Twitter that he's transferring to an FCS school for spring practice. He was #3 on the roster. That tells me that Chapman and Agnew are that good in Morgan's & Horton's eyes. Now Prieto can move up and challenge for no. 2. Or possibly the same starting job, but I think Chapman has it locked.

I saw Allen play high school ball.  He wasn't 6-5 yet, and he was pretty thin back then.  He still had his rocket arm in HS, but he was only completing about 55% of his passes.  He played for a really small high school, and those small schools usually don't have coaches that develop QBs.  

Wyoming just got lucky, because the kid really wanted to go to Fresno State.

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't know but Allen was just one of many kids Brian Sipe didn't locate or recruit. I loved Sipe as a Brown, winning the MVP despite his size and coming within a fingertip of taking Cleveland to the SB.

As a Raiders fan, I loved Brian Sipe too. Those fingertips you mentioned that kept the Browns out of the SB belonged to Raiders' defensive back Mike Davis, who picked off Sipe's pass at the end of the 1980 playoff game in Cleveland, which Browns coach Sam Rutigliano allowed to be thrown despite his team being well within range for a game winning field goal. Going on 36 years, and it's still the biggest gift of a play one of my teams has ever been given.

Champ Logo.jpg

16 hours ago, k5james said:

Unless Sipe was prescient I wouldn't expect him to recruit a kid like Allen.  How many 6-2 kids with decent arms are there in California?  A TON.

Instead he recruited Quinn Kaehler. ;)

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

As a Raiders fan, I loved Brian Sipe too. Those fingertips you mentioned that kept the Browns out of the SB belonged to Raiders' defensive back Mike Davis, who picked off Sipe's pass at the end of the 1980 playoff game in Cleveland, which Browns coach Sam Rutigliano allowed to be thrown despite his team being well within range for a game winning field goal. Going on 36 years, and it's still the biggest gift of a play one of my teams has ever been given.

Don't I know it. I was visiting relatives in the Bay Area at the time and only I had a meltdown about that. IIRC, the intended receiver was Reggie Rucker.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 hours ago, GoldenEagleAztec said:

Actually, Sipe was gone when Allen was on the JC market. I do remember there being some interest from SDSU in Allen. Either his coach or a JC writer tweeted about contact between the two. So either Horton or Morgan took a look at him, but decided to pass. They brought on JC QBs, Daniel Prieto & Jimmy Walker, as walk-ons instead.

Prieto played in a way tougher CIF league than Allen. His HUDL reel is as impressive. He was a late addition, right before summer. Jimmy Walker just announced via Twitter that he's transferring to an FCS school for spring practice. He was #3 on the roster. That tells me that Chapman and Agnew are that good in Morgan's & Horton's eyes. Now Prieto can move up and challenge for no. 2. Or possibly the same starting job, but I think Chapman has it locked.

No, Sipe wasn't replaced until after the 2014 season: http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/sdsu-m-footbl-mtt-2014.html#coaches

As to Prieto, he walked by me on the field after the LV Bowl. That kid is tiny. Probably even smaller than Chapman. Sigh . . .

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

No, Sipe wasn't replaced until after the 2014 season: http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/sdsu-m-footbl-mtt-2014.html#coaches

As to Prieto, he walked by me on the field after the LV Bowl. That kid is tiny. Probably even smaller than Chapman. Sigh . . .

Wasn't Allen a 2015 jc recruit?  Who cares. The only two capable QBs under Sipe were Lindley and Katz (who was recruited by Ludwig). The majority of QBs brought in under Sipe were D2 caliber or playing another position now. 

Prieto is small, but so are Russell Wilson and Vernon Adams. Heck, Chapman & Agnew are taller than QBC Morgan (Look at the pix on Morgan's Twitter feed). We stole Prieto from Oregon St in the 11th hour. So if he is good enough for a PAC12 team, than Morgan & Horton must feel he's good enough for the Aztecs, size and all. 

21 hours ago, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

Image result for coach tim deruyter

Picture is worth a 1,6 million words or thereabouts!

The correlation between lowered IQ and golf visors, real or anecdotal?

RonCarager181818.jpg

#OhItsReal #DamnReal

12667677.jpeg