Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpartaRick

Basketball-- so far

Now that most of the OOC schedule is completed I was wondering how our perceptions have changed.  Before the season started we here in Sparta were thinking that New Mexico would be the team to beat.  Now it looks like Nevada with Wyoming and Colorado State in the mix.  Bottom line, though, is that the league looks to be wide open.  No top 20 teams but a great deal of balance.  How do you see it?

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

Wide open! I'm not buying the Nevada hype as much as I was earlier. Maybe their suspension is a factor, I don't know. SJSU pulling their weight, though, that's nice to see. Utah State has been a disappointment. 

Not an unexpected disappointment though.  Even Aggie fans knew it was going to be rough going once Stew retired. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Nevada has played really sloppy ball lately yet still wins handily. Blew large leads to UC Irvine,Washington, and Towson. Hall and King are emerging as key contributors off the bench. Carelson is now eligible to play and he will be used to bang down low. He is 6'9 240.

Wyoming is piling up wins but against pretty bad teams. Will be interesting to see how they do the next couple of days when they actually play a decent squad. I just haven't bought in to the team yet but this week is a good time to prove me wrong.

N.Mex is a mess but they will still take down many teams in the MW. Noodles starting 5 experiment is not working.

SDSU should still roll in conference play. Anything more than 5 conference losses will be a big surprise IMO.

BSU Is young but they also seem to be in the mix for fight for a top 3 spot. Hutchinson is fun to watch.

Col St. Is the wildcard. Have played a pretty soft schedule yet did steal a win in Boulder. I think they will be competitive From here on out and will be the upset spoiler in many games.

USU,AF,UNLV,SJSU- All will be fighting to avoid last place. Non have the horsepower to be at the top.

Fresno- darkhorse to win the league. Edo is back and looked good. I am not sure what going on yet with thier 5* point guard but if he is eligible to play the second half, it will make this team extremely dangerous. 

12 minutes ago, spartanbadass said:

5* point guard Aussie will not be enrolling at Fresno state. 

yeah, he didn't make grade on academics. it was worth a shot, but w/e.  Gonna have to go PG hunting this year again.

fresno is going to do our usual thing and suddenly put it together in a week or so and ruin the league's at-large bid chances.  

Bryson Williams is gonna be really good in a year or two. 

8 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

fresno is going to do our usual thing and suddenly put it together in a week or so and ruin the league's at-large bid chances.  

The league has no at-large bid chances. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Zero at larges bids this year.

UNM were preseason favorites??? Ok...

SDSU os the team to beat. Nothings changed. They still have loaded talent and athleticism with the beat coach in the league.

UNR is up there but they don't have a roster for the grind. 4 starters over 32 mins never works for the long grind.

UNM still has Brown and Williams. They'll be in it.

Boise can do damage but they need to get more consistent.

Everyone else is pretenders.

League will be competitive but this is SDSU'S to lose. They just need to take care of business in the MWCT though or its another meaningless season with loaded talent.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

8 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

yeah, he didn't make grade on academics. it was worth a shot, but w/e.  Gonna have to go PG hunting this year again.

Bryson Williams is gonna be really good in a year or two. 

He must be one dumb mf'er not to make it into Fresno st

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

People are drastically underestimating how bad UNM will be in conference play. I think our ceiling is .500. The team is in free-fall. Has there ever been a less important conference season than this year? We might as well flip a coin and seed the conference tourney and save everybody some time. 

8 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Boise can do damage but they need to get more consistent.

Boise spent the first few games figuring out rotations and players roles.  Since then they have been very consistent.  Blown out bad teams and pushed very good teams on the road.  If they could have held on at Oregon and Evansville they would be seen as a title contender.  What is consistent is young teams struggle on the road and in close games.  I expect some losses in games they don't close and on the road but with them getting better every game they could surprise a lot of people this year.