IanforHeisman

Good tv shows I've watched recently

For limited series, both seasons of Fargo were outstanding. The first season of True Detective was awesome, you can skip the second. And "The Night Of" this year was great.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

11 minutes ago, Mano said:

For limited series, both seasons of Fargo were outstanding. The first season of True Detective was awesome, you can skip the second. And "The Night Of" this year was great.

Fargo is amazing. The first season is one of the greatest things I've ever watched. Lester was such an awesome character, and Billy Bob Thornton killed it as well. 

• Like 1

I just watched a great new show called The Last Tycoon on Amazon. They're streaming the pilot episode for FREE and it's excellent.

Based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Last Tycoon, it follows Monroe Stahr, Hollywood's Golden Boy as he battles father figure and boss Pat Brady for the soul of their studio. In a world darkened by the Depression and the growing influence of Hitler's Germany, The Last Tycoon illuminates the passions, violence and towering ambition of 1930s Hollywood.

Starring:
Matt Bomer, Kelsey Grammer and Lily Collins

Here's another really good show for history buffs. What History Forgot on AHC. You'll learn a lot of interesting facts that weren't taught to us in school. The host is a long time History teacher and the stories he picks will leave you thinking...hey, why weren't we taught that in school? http://www.ahctv.com/what-history-forgot/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crixus said:

Here's another really good show for history buffs. What History Forgot on AHC. You'll learn a lot of interesting facts that weren't taught to us in school. The host is a long time History teacher and the stories he picks will leave you thinking...hey, why weren't we taught that in school? http://www.ahctv.com/what-history-forgot/

That sounds pretty great. Never heard of it before.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, Jwherb said:

Like that list a lot. I would flip flop the wire and sopranos, though sopranos probably deserves extra credit for being so revolutionary. Without it, perhaps we never reach this golden age of TV drama. 

I have been watching a couple of Amazon Prime shows that have been enjoyable.

I just marathoned through Sneaky Pete - a bunch of likable characters with an Oceans Eleven type ending. Fun watch.

Currently watching Goliath - fantastic cast. Billy Bob Thorton plays a once great lawyer that has fallen due to his own vices who comes across a case that can redeem him. I have watched the first few episodes, and I am really enjoying it. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

13 hours ago, Mano said:

I just marathoned through Sneaky Pete - a bunch of likable characters with an Oceans Eleven type ending. Fun watch.

Currently watching Goliath - fantastic cast. Billy Bob Thorton plays a once great lawyer that has fallen due to his own vices who comes across a case that can redeem him. I have watched the first few episodes, and I am really enjoying it. 

Did the same with Sneaky Pete.. It was pretty good, not great but there really isn't much on tv right now.

Luther is a great show (Netflix). It's a BBC show based on a detective, Idris Elba. All seasons are really good.

The first two seasons of The Killing are really good (Netflix).  

The Fall (Netflix) is also really good. Another British murder show. 

Broadchurch (Netflix) another BBC show with detectives and murder is decent. 

Speaking of Netflix, they put Captain America: Civil War on it not that long ago, so I watched it...

It was, well, okay. It wasn't terrible, but I don't see how it was all that superior to Batman vs Superman. In fact, the similarities ought to make the Marvel fanboys feel ashamed, since BvS was announced first. And in some cases, Civil War was worse.

In BvS, you have Batman and Superman coming face to face for the first time.In Civil War, Stark and Rodgers have been working together for years. I can see the distrust in BvS. But in Civil War? All of a sudden, Stark chooses not to trust Rodgers despite Cap being one of the most trustworthy people in the franchise? Come on, that's a worse asspull than Superman never smiling in two films. And that's a big asspull.

I'd put it about even with BatmanvSuperman. Which, I liked the extended edition. And I'm hoping the next time we see Supes, he's more like his classic self. No more of him being based on this New52 Superman that has since been killed off in the comics.

So, checkout Civil War if you want to. But if you have seen BvS, you will see a ton of similarities.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:25 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If you like Vikings check out The Last Kingdom on Netflix.  The main protagonist is a fictional character but the history on Alfred the great is pretty spot on.  The books are even better.

Another along that medieval line is the Bastard Executioner - Had one season, but wasn't bad 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4218618/

1 minute ago, IanforHeisman said:

I didn't like it.. Couldn't be cool with someone who killed my family

We thought it was kind of a smaller budget Game of Thrones - We watched it and would have kept on probably, but the plug was pulled.:unsure:

On 1/11/2017 at 0:53 AM, Jwherb said:

Not that anyone cares, but here's how I'd rank my favorite TV shows (non-sitcoms, non-documentary, non-miniseries):

1. The Wire
  2. Game of Thrones
  3. Friday Night Lights
  4. Breaking Bad
  5. Westworld (will probably move up if Season 2 is good; probably too high for just one season)
  6. Stranger Things (also needs more content, but this was AMAZING)
  7. House of Cards
  8. X Files
  9. Mad Men
  10. The Wonder Years

Bump to move up GoT and to include Stranger Things on the top 10 list. 

It might be recency bias, but ST had just about everything I want from a television show in it.  Yeah, it's a bit fan-service 80's nostalgia for a genre/period of films that, while I grew up with them, I was never that enthralled with.  But they hit a home run with it.  

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

On 1/15/2017 at 7:12 PM, Mano said:

I'm watching Goliath now, season 1.  Great freaking TV show.  Billy Bob is money and the supporting characters are great.  His hooker friend is great, the overweight admin is great, the bitchy blonde ambulance chaser is great,  the judge is good, and my man Yoakam is good.  Shit, all the supporting characters are great.  I suspect the series will run out of steam quickly, but season 1 is fun as hell.

I need to get my ass to bed cause I have to get started early manana, but I got to see how season 1 ends.

He's got Hoosiers playing in the freaking background while he's talking to his daughter, which carries back to earlier in the series when he quoted Hackman and to the title of the show.  Great writing, I love it.  I don't see how it lasts without getting ridiculous, but for now, it's fun.

Glitch on Netflix is good. We're re-watching the first two seasons, because the third just came out.

We also watched Dark, and it's good as well, but the dubbing (German show) doesn't match with the subtitles, which throws me off.