IanforHeisman

Good tv shows I've watched recently

Scientology And The Aftermath is a new series on the A&E network. Leah Remini who grew up in Scientology exposes more of the inner workings of the cult, along with help from other former members. She's a scrappy Brooklynite and has taken on a big fight because Scientology has responded in it's usual dirty ways. She exposes their bizarre methods of controlling members, and what they do to get back at former members like her and other people featured on the show. 

http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath

If you're a history buff you'll probably like Forbidden History on AHC. It's a very interesting show! B) 

http://www.ahctv.com/forbidden-history/ 

Guest RoscoesDad
On 1/6/2017 at 10:17 PM, crixus said:

Scientology And The Aftermath is a new series on the A&E network. Leah Remini who grew up in Scientology exposes more of the inner workings of the cult, along with help from other former members. She's a scrappy Brooklynite and has taken on a big fight because Scientology has responded in it's usual dirty ways. She exposes their bizarre methods of controlling members, and what they do to get back at former members like her and other people featured on the show. 

http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath

This is a really good show.   However after a couple of episodes it gets rather monotonous and boring.  At a certain point you get that the Scientologists are crazy cult member whackjobs.  And it just isn't as exciting after 4 or 5 episodes.  Everyone has the same story.  

Has anyone watched "Four Seasons in Havana"? Watched the first episode on Netflix last week; if you speak Spanish or don't mind reading subtitles, it's fantastic.

Filmed almost entirely in Cuba, it gives a great look at neighborhoods and parts of the country that will probably never be seen on one of the new tours.

We finished Game of Thrones last week.  I know I'm a few years behind on it, but I really enjoyed it.  For those who haven't checked it out yet, it's an all-timer. 

Next up:  Sopranos.  Somehow I missed out watching that show, too.

Heard good things about Stranger Things and Black Mirror.  Those are in the queue.  

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

25 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

We finished Game of Thrones last week.  I know I'm a few years behind on it, but I really enjoyed it.  For those who haven't checked it out yet, it's an all-timer. 

Next up:  Sopranos.  Somehow I missed out watching that show, too.

Heard good things about Stranger Things and Black Mirror.  Those are in the queue.  

Did you miss any other Hall of Fame shows? Deadwood? The Wire? Mad Men?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Did you miss any other Hall of Fame shows? Deadwood? The Wire? Mad Men?

I wouldn't call Deadwood Hall of Fame.  But I've seen most of them: the Wire is my all time favorite.  FNL is right up there,  so is Breaking Bad,  Mad Men,  House of Cards,  X Files, TWD...  What else? 

I haven't seen Sopranos,  Lost,  Sons of Anarchy (don't think that's HoF),  Newsroom, Narcos.   Hated Dexter.  Bored by West Wing.  Don't really dig too many network TV series. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

1 minute ago, Jwherb said:

I wouldn't call Deadwood Hall of Fame.  But I've seen most of them: the Wire is my all time favorite.  FNL is right up there,  so is Breaking Bad,  Mad Men,  House of Cards,  X Files, TWD...  What else? 

I haven't seen Sopranos,  Lost,  Sons of Anarchy (don't think that's HoF),  Newsroom, Narcos.   Hated Dexter.  Bored by West Wing.  Don't really dig too many network TV series. 

If you don't like West Wing then skip Newsroom. You know what, skip the Newsroom no matter how you feel about west wing. 

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

47 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Do you like historical based shows with some fiction at all?  The Borgias is great, I think Netflix has it.  Jeremy Irons as the Borgia Pope, Rodrigo and Holliday Granger as his daugther Lucrezia really steal the show.  Phenomenal acting, insane and mostly accurate plot, aside from some made for T.V. characters.

It is in my top 5 with Breaking bad, TWD, Mad Men and Dexter (don't let the fact I like Dexter discourage you from watching it though).

20 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I think Deadwood is a hall of fame show.. Al Swearingen is one of the greatest characters to ever be on tv. What sucks is that the show has no ending.

I thought about best buying him on the spot. Deadwood is amazing. Only the Wire has more value on a 2nd, 3rd, 10th rewatch. And I'd even argue it's ending, even though it was unintended, is very fitting as to what the show was. (The formation of a community that can withstand infighting, hardship, and spoiler...)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I thought about best buying him on the spot. Deadwood is amazing. Only the Wire has more value on a 2nd, 3rd, 10th rewatch. And I'd even argue it's ending, even though it was unintended, is very fitting as to what the show was. (The formation of a community that can withstand infighting, hardship, and spoiler...)

True.. It wasn't a classic ending but it didn't leave on a cliffhanger. I skipped the show for years but was amazed when I finally watched it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

True.. It wasn't a classic ending but it didn't leave on a cliffhanger. I skipped the show for years but was amazed when I finally watched it.

Me too. I thought it would be a dirtier, grittier western that didn't have much to say. But damn was I wrong. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Not that anyone cares, but here's how I'd rank my favorite TV shows (non-sitcoms, non-documentary, non-miniseries):

1. The Wire
  2. Friday Night Lights
  3. Breaking Bad
  4. Game of Thrones
  5. Westworld (will probably move up if Season 2 is good; probably too high for just one season)
  6. House of Cards
  7. X Files
  8. Mad Men
  9. The Wonder Years
  10. Arrested Development (is this a sitcom? I dunno)

In queue to watch:

• Taboo
  • the Sopranos
  • Lost
  • Narcos
  • Man in the High Castle
  • the Leftovers
  • Stranger Things
  • Black Mirror
  • Vikings
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • the OA
  • Twin Peaks

9 hours ago, Jwherb said:

Not that anyone cares, but here's how I'd rank my favorite TV shows (non-sitcoms, non-documentary, non-miniseries):

1. The Wire
  2. Friday Night Lights
  3. Breaking Bad
  4. Game of Thrones
  5. Westworld (will probably move up if Season 2 is good; probably too high for just one season)
  6. House of Cards
  7. X Files
  8. Mad Men
  9. The Wonder Years

In queue to watch:

• Taboo
  • the Sopranos
  • Lost
  • Narcos
  • Man in the High Castle
  • the Leftovers
  • Stranger Things
  • Black Mirror
  • Vikings
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • the OA
  • Twin Peaks

Taped Taboo last night, gonna watch today.

Really liked the OA. Kind of a chick show, but had some very good twists. 

To me, Black Mirror is phukking terrible. Only episode I watched had the British PM phukking a pig on national television. But a lot of people like it so it's probably just me.

Dont waste your time on Lost. IMO.

Guest RoscoesDad
10 hours ago, Jwherb said:

1. The Wire
  2. Friday Night Lights
  3. Breaking Bad
  4. Game of Thrones
  6. House of Cards
  7. X Files
  8. Mad Men
  9. The Wonder Years

In queue to watch:

• Taboo
  • the Sopranos
  • Lost
  • Narcos
  • Man in the High Castle
  • the Leftovers
  • Stranger Things
  • Black Mirror
  • Vikings
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • the OA