Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

OT: Rogue One

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

We all think each new  SW movie is better than it is when we've only seen it once and we were all excited. I loved R1 as well but we've all been through this before.  Give it some time and additional viewings before we re-rank.

That's a good point. Except I didn't think that with any of the prequels. But I thought TFA was great at first but that excitement wore off. I still like it but it's not tops for me anymore. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

Alright...calm down. Give it a little time.  It was a really fun movie and you're all excited. It is right up there with the best SW movies but watch R1 a few times and get some increased perspective. 

No, I thought Force Awakens was good but behind Empire.  I didn't feel the need to see it again after I saw it.  This movie I want to see again.

**Spoilers**

I thought it was good but I though they spent way to much time going into backstories on obscure characters like the general with the white outfit and the guy that used the breathing mask.  IMO, they could have written a lot of those characters out of the story.  Tarkin could have taken the place of the white outfit guy pretty easily.  I didn't really get the Vader scene with the general with the white outfit either.  I also don't think they did enough of a job developing some of the relationships between the Rogue One folks that would have made the end even more impactful.  I would have liked to get a little bit more about the imperial pilot.  Who the heck was the guy that got shot in the back and by whom and why?  It seemed like they had too many characters and not enough depth for certain characters.  

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, though.  I really like it when they can end movies like this in not such a happy little bow.  That is one of the reasons Empire was so impactful.  I really loved some of the cameos at the end.  I think I may have a new favorite starship--hammerhead corvette.  Awesome.  The move made up for some of the slowness at the end.

Why didn't they use X-Wings against AT-ATs on Hoth again? LOL

Posted Image

I was blown away by the CGI resurrection of the late actor Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin. I had no idea it was coming, having avoided reading anything about the film prior to seeing it tonight (IMAX 3D). I thought the film was very well done, and superior to Episodes 1 thru 3, and Episode 6.

Champ Logo.jpg

5 hours ago, Akkula said:

**Spoilers**

I thought it was good but I though they spent way to much time going into backstories on obscure characters like the general with the white outfit and the guy that used the breathing mask.  IMO, they could have written a lot of those characters out of the story.  Tarkin could have taken the place of the white outfit guy pretty easily.  I didn't really get the Vader scene with the general with the white outfit either.  I also don't think they did enough of a job developing some of the relationships between the Rogue One folks that would have made the end even more impactful.  I would have liked to get a little bit more about the imperial pilot.  Who the heck was the guy that got shot in the back and by whom and why?  It seemed like they had too many characters and not enough depth for certain characters.  

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, though.  I really like it when they can end movies like this in not such a happy little bow.  That is one of the reasons Empire was so impactful.  I really loved some of the cameos at the end.  I think I may have a new favorite starship--hammerhead corvette.  Awesome.  The move made up for some of the slowness at the end.

Why didn't they use X-Wings against AT-ATs on Hoth again? LOL

The Xwings engines freeze up in the cold.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just got back form seeing this. Easily the best Star Wars movie since Episode V, and in contention as the best ever.

Sooooooo glad Disney got this out of Lucas' hands.

ETA: This was the closest to the cinema experience I had as a kid watching Ep's IV and V in the theater during their initial release. I'm stoked for you young bloods who get to finally experience what I was blessed to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

17 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

I was blown away by the CGI resurrection of the late actor Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin. I had no idea it was coming, having avoided reading anything about the film prior to seeing it tonight (IMAX 3D). I thought the film was very well done, and superior to Episodes 1 thru 3, and Episode 6.

They way they wove in Ep IV characters into this made the transition between the two story lines truly seamless. Very well done.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I saw the movie yesterday.  I thought it was very good.  I've been a Donnie Yen fan since Ip Man so I was looking forward to seeing his martial arts skills in this movie.  A lot of action and worth seeing on the big screen.  I went to an eXtreme Digital theater and I would like to see it in a Dolby Atmos theater to compare.  So, I will be seeing it again soon.

12 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

I saw the movie yesterday.  I thought it was very good.  I've been a Donnie Yen fan since Ip Man so I was looking forward to seeing his martial arts skills in this movie.  A lot of action and worth seeing on the big screen.  I went to an eXtreme Digital theater and I would like to see it in a Dolby Atmos theater to compare.  So, I will be seeing it again soon.

I saw it in IMAX, twice, and was wowed by it.  I'm reluctant to see it it in a regular theater. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 12/17/2016 at 7:38 PM, Akkula said:

**Spoilers**

Breathing mask guy was a George Lucas character from the latest cartoons who hasn't had a movie debut yet so I think they wanted to establish him in the Star Wars universe.  White outfit guy needed to die at the end so they couldn't use Tarkin.  Totally agree with not developing the relationships between the Rogue One folks.  The first 1.5 acts were so plodding but yet there was a lack of quiet time character development.  To me, that's one thing that prevented the movie from being truly epic.  Other than Jyn, I really could have cared less about anyone else.

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I saw it in IMAX, twice, and was wowed by it.  I'm reluctant to see it it in a regular theater. 

I will have to check that out.  IMAX theaters have great projections.  The eXtreme Digital theater uses a lot of speakers.  Probably more than most.  The Dolby Atmos theaters are probably the most expensive sound systems out there and that is why there are so few of them.  But, the sound system just immerses you into the movie.  My opinion anyway.  But, I will try to see it in IMAX as well.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

I will have to check that out.  IMAX theaters have great projections.  The eXtreme Digital theater uses a lot of speakers.  Probably more than most.  The Dolby Atmos theaters are probably the most expensive sound systems out there and that is why there are so few of them.  But, the sound system just immerses you into the movie.  My opinion anyway.  But, I will try to see it in IMAX as well.  Thanks.

Saw it the other night at the Dolby Atmos screening at Town Square. Pretty awesome. And the seats recline a little bit and you can't see anyone in front or behind you. And the sound was just awesome. I would highly recommend it. 

Just now, BleedRed702 said:

Saw it the other night at the Dolby Atmos screening at Town Square. Pretty awesome. And the seats recline a little bit and you can't see anyone in front or behind you. And the sound was just awesome. I would highly recommend it. 

I didn't know there was Dolby Atmos at Town Square.  I thought it was only at the Palms and Aliente hotels.  Thanks.

Just now, CockyUNLVPoster said:

I didn't know there was Dolby Atmos at Town Square.  I thought it was only at the Palms and Aliente hotels.  Thanks.

Yeah, I think it is fairly new; along with the IMAX theater that they put in there. It is reserved seating, so you don't have to worry about showing up early. Honestly after 30 minutes of previews, I would probably just show up late to the movie if I were to see it again. 

One thing, if you do see it at Town Square, there isn't much room to get by people when the seats are reclined. So if you think you'll need to get up during the movie, you probably will want to sit closer to the aisle. If you don't want to deal with anyone climbing over you, I'd shoot for the middle. 

1 minute ago, BleedRed702 said:

Yeah, I think it is fairly new; along with the IMAX theater that they put in there. It is reserved seating, so you don't have to worry about showing up early. Honestly after 30 minutes of previews, I would probably just show up late to the movie if I were to see it again. 

One thing, if you do see it at Town Square, there isn't much room to get by people when the seats are reclined. So if you think you'll need to get up during the movie, you probably will want to sit closer to the aisle. If you don't want to deal with anyone climbing over you, I'd shoot for the middle. 

Our IMAX theater has reserved seating.  It's really nice to just show up just before the movie starts and not have to fight for seats. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Our IMAX theater has reserved seating.  It's really nice to just show up just before the movie starts and not have to fight for seats. 

Reserved seating is the way to go. Especially nice when the seats are more luxurious and recline. There is another theater in Henderson, Galaxy Theaters, that are reserved seating and those chairs recline almost all the way. Their projectors aren't as nice though.