Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

ARIZONA BOWL: AIR FORCE VS. SOUTH ALABAMA

Friday, December 30
Arizona Stadium (56,029) • Tucson, Arizona
3:30 p.m. MT • American Sports Network/Campus Insiders
Mike Gleason (PBP), Doug Chapman (analyst), Monica McNutt (sideline)

THE SERIES
First Meeting

AIR FORCE HEAD COACH TROY CALHOUN
76-53 (10th year) at Air Force

Air Force, which has played in nine bowl games in head coach Troy Calhoun’s 10 seasons, is playing in its 26th bowl game overall (11-13-1). The Falcons are 3-5 under Calhoun in postseason play.

• Air Force has lost three of its last four bowl games, while South Alabama lost its only appearance in the postseason (2014).

• Air Force has been on a series of streaks this season. The Falcons won the first four contests of the year before going on a three-game losing streak. AF rebounded from that slump and is currently on a five-game win streak, the longest in the Mountain West and 10th-best nationally.

• Air Force has posted its third straight eight-win season. The Falcons were 8-6 last season and 10-3 in 2014. The eight-win campaign is the seventh in 10 seasons under head coach Troy Calhoun.

• Under Calhoun, the Falcons are 31-19 against non-conference opponents, including 4-5 in neutral site games. • The Falcons are 39-2 under Calhoun when limiting their opponent to fewer than 20 points.

• Senior DB Weston Steelhammer has six interceptions on the season and 17 in his career. The 17 career INTs tie the school record held by Tom Rotello. (1983-86). Steelhammer also ranks tied for third in Mountain West history in career interceptions, two shy of the record of 19 held by Darian Thompson of Boise State (2012-15).

• The Falcons have the third-ranked rushing offense nationally, racking up 322.8 yards on the ground per game. South Alabama is 98th in rush defense, allowing 212.1 yards.

• Air Force has scored in a school-record 297 game, the third-longest active streak in the nation. The last time the Falcons were shutout was in the 1992 Liberty Bowl vs. Ole Miss (13-0).

• Five of South Alabama’s last six games have been decided by seven points or fewer, and the only contest that wasn’t decided by one score came vs. Presbyterian (31-7), which is a FCS institution.

• The Jaguars have out gained their opponent in five straight contests for the first time since a streak of 13 straight from Nov. 12, 2009-Sept. 10, 2011. • South Alabama has a 2-1 record against Mountain West competition, losing at Hawaii in 2012 (23-7) before defeating San Diego State in 2015 and ‘16.

• Jaguars senior defensive end Randy Allen is tied for eighth nationally with 11.5 sacks. That figure is a program single-season record.

I know I'm in the minority, but I am a big fan of this bowl.  I really like what they're doing with tech this year with the GoPro cameras etc.  

This bowl kind of reminds me of the Mtn. Network.  A whole lot of innovative stuff (streaming and OTA, conference ownership, etc.), but it's being done by a small time league.  The MWC/Nova partnership on this is well ahead of it's time.  I look for a lot of the models developed in this relationship to be copied and enhanced by the conferences and networks that can afford to really run with this stuff.  I can get it locally on channel 2, but I'll probably stream it to try and get an idea of all these newfangled things they are doing.

BTW, in that press conference they mentioned that the game will be televised in over 80 million homes.  The challenge will be figuring out where to find it.

@mugtang, What do you think about pinning the bowl match-ups so that they're not lost in a sea of threads? That way, guys can see them more easily and post... especially during the bowl games... what do you think big guy???

EDIT: UNLV2001 does a fantastic job of posting these threads... props to UNLV2001... a shot for you too!

movies drinking johnny depp alcohol cheers

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

52 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Has anyone figured out what the payout is for this bowl?

There is no set payout. It's whatever the amount of tickets the team sells in essence. Which is nice because the school isn't on the hook for unsold tickets.

34 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

There is no set payout. It's whatever the amount of tickets the team sells in essence. Which is nice because the school isn't on the hook for unsold tickets.

F'ing capitalists.

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I am a big fan of this bowl.  I really like what they're doing with tech this year with the GoPro cameras etc.  

This bowl kind of reminds me of the Mtn. Network.  A whole lot of innovative stuff (streaming and OTA, conference ownership, etc.), but it's being done by a small time league.  The MWC/Nova partnership on this is well ahead of it's time.  I look for a lot of the models developed in this relationship to be copied and enhanced by the conferences and networks that can afford to really run with this stuff.  I can get it locally on channel 2, but I'll probably stream it to try and get an idea of all these newfangled things they are doing.

BTW, in that press conference they mentioned that the game will be televised in over 80 million homes.  The challenge will be figuring out where to find it.

I am a fan of this bowl to for many reasons.  

The streaming concept they started will only continue to get stronger as more people drop cable or go to skinny bundles without ESPN and just stream the sports they want to watch.  Being able to stream for free and not needing a cable or OTT package and pay for like ESPN3/watch is a big deal and continues to get bigger each year.

The date is awesome which is around NYE/D and fans can go to the bowl on their vacation.

The location is good and the bowl committee seems to be going out of their way to have a great event during the week for the players and for the fans also with the tailgate and concert as part of the upgraded bowl ticket.

Although it won't be broadcasted on a major network, ASN will have the game on its OTA stations and also on some affiliates and other non-Sinclair stations.  As this bowl matures, there will be more interest from OTA stations (the CW...and others) to show the game.

As per the experience of the coaches and players last year, this is a bowl that can grow into being the top bowl for the MW.   I can see this becoming a NYD bowl for us like the Gator and Citrus bowl that plays on Jan. 1 even though the CFP bowls are playing that same day.

I heard Weston Steelhammer being interviewed on a Sports radio show this week.

He was in So California for some award he was nominated for.

I don't know if he won.

The interviewer said "you know you have the best football player name ever"!

And Steelhammer said he'd "heard that before".

cerified_Subarus.jpg

Arizona Bowl@novaAZBOWL 21h21 hours ago

A look at attendance numbers for each game played in the 2016 bowl season so far. #NOVAAZBowl currently at 31,000

I went to the Arizona Bowl website and looked at picking seating areas.  A lot have been taken and given the number of tickets sold so far this looks to be a better attended bowl and a great push upward for the 2nd year of this bowl.

http://tucson.com/sports/local/tucson-takes-ownership-of-arizona-bowl-in-year-and-that/article_1664da95-5de1-5606-a29d-526ef7446

Tucson taking ownership of the AZ Bowl.

"Two resorts — Westin La Paloma and the J.W. Marriott Starr Pass — will again host the two teams. If the experience was anything like last year’s, it’ll be a hit.

“The Nevada coach last year, Brian Polian, came up to us and said the VIP was as good as any BCS bowl game,” Farhang said. “Utilizing the best of Tucson was really important.”

6 minutes ago, k5james said:

Tucson is a cool little party town.  This bowl could really take off if Tucson gets behind it and it gets on "real" TV.

"Real" TV may not be as important as that.  Folks are cutting the cord like crazy, and this bowl is way ahead of the curve when it comes to digital distribution.  They've got some TV distribution now.  It may get better, but as long as they can continue to get into 80 million households one way or the other I think it'll be fine.

Like I've said before, the thing I like most about this bowl is that the MWC has ownership in it.

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

"Real" TV may not be as important as that.  Folks are cutting the cord like crazy, and this bowl is way ahead of the curve when it comes to digital distribution.  They've got some TV distribution now.  It may get better, but as long as they can continue to get into 80 million households one way or the other I think it'll be fine.

Like I've said before, the thing I like most about this bowl is that the MWC has ownership in it.

That's exactly what I like least about it.  Nobody knows how to +++++ things up like the MWC.

I don't know much about South Alabama, but I remember that Coastie was an Air Force fan. So in his honor, I feel confident that the Falcons will swoop down and bombard their talons of lightning onto the Jaguars heads. Thus rendering SA helpless...and leading AF to the bowl victory! B)

Image result for air force falcons logo

Image result for south alabama jaguars logo