Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

POINSETTIA BOWL: WYOMING VS. BYU

Wednesday, December 21
Qualcomm Stadium (66,000) • San Diego, California
6 p.m. PT • ESPN/WatchESPN
Jason Benetti (PBP), Kelly Stouffer (analyst), Paul Carcaterra (sideline)

THE SERIES
BYU leads 44-30-3
Last meeting: Oct. 23, 2010, BYU won 25-20 in Provo, Utah

WYOMING HEAD COACH CRAIG BOHL
14-23 (3rd year) at Wyoming

Wyoming, which is playing in a bowl game for the first time since 2011 (New Mexico Bowl), is making its 14th overall postseason appearance. The Cowboys have compiled an overall bowl record of 6-7, but haven’t won a postseason contest since Dec. 19, 2009 in the New Mexico Bowl vs. Fresno State (35-28)

• A victory in the San Diego Credit County Union Poinsettia Bowl would give Wyoming its ninth win of the season, the most since 1996 (10-2). The Cowboys finished the 1996 season ranked No. 22.

• Wyoming finished the 2015 season with a 2-10 record before an 8-5 showing in 2016. This six-game improvement is tied for the best turnaround in the FBS this season. The Cowboys are tied with Colorado, Central Florida and Eastern Michigan.

• UW safety Andrew Wingard, who leads the Conference averaging 9.8 tackles per game, is the FBS active leader in career tackles per contest (10.00) and solo tackles per game (6.24).

• Wyoming RB Brian Hill ranks third all-time on the Mountain West career rushing list. Hill, who has rushed for 4,194 yards, trails only San Diego State’s Donnel Pumphrey (6,290) and New Mexico’s DonTrell Moore (4,973).

• Hill has scored 21 rushing touchdowns this season, the most in program history. The 21 rushing touchdowns are tied as the fourth-most nationally and second in the MW.

• Defensively, the Cowboys have scored five touchdowns, which is tied for the third-most nationally with Houston and Central Florida. Wyoming only trails Alabama (10) and Ohio State (7).

• The Cowboys have a 2,500-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and 1,000-yard receiver for the first time in a single season since 1994. Josh Allen has thrown for 2,996 yards, Brian Hill has rushed for 1,767 yards and Tanner Gentry has hauled in 1,213 receiving yards.

• Allen needs four passing yards to make him the first Wyoming QB with at least 3,000 passing yards since Brett Smith in 2013. Since the Mountain West’s inception prior to the 1999 season, the Cowboys have had four 3,000-yard passers (Brett Smith in 2013 and Casey Bramlet in 2001, ‘02, ‘03).

• Wyoming meets former conference-foe BYU for the first time since 2010. The Cougars have won seven straight in the series dating back to 2003.

• The Cougars are playing in their 35th bowl game and have a 13-20-1 record in postseason play. BYU has dropped three straight bowl games, with its last victory coming in the 2012 Poinsettia Bowl vs. San Diego State (23-6).

• BYU enters the bowl game winners of seven of its last eight games. In their final four games of the regular season, the Cougars only surrendered 29 total points, while the offense averaged 34 per contest.

17 hours ago, fanhood said:

Should be a good game. However, BYU's offense has been bad this year. Unless Tanner Magnum is much better than Taysom Hill, I think the Pokes all win 38-21.

BYU's worst loss of the year by more than they've lost their other four games combined, eh?  Also with the second most points they've given up all year? 

Good call.  You're on a real tear lately around here.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

56 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

BYU's worst loss of the year by more than they've lost their other four games combined, eh?  Also with the second most points they've given up all year? 

Wyoming is the 2nd best scoring offense BYU will play this year (only 1 point less than Toledo). Not sure why you think predicting the 2nd best scoring offense will score the 2nd most points is so ridiculous

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

WYO will score 28+ points on BYU without a doubt. I'm thinking around the 35 range for this one.

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

6 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Wyoming is probably the 3rd best team BYU has played this year behind Utah and WV. They just may have the best offense behind WVU. 

14 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I don't think that's even close to being the case.  

WVU, Utah, and Bosie are the only teams that I think could be better than Wyoming. Who would you add to that list? Please tell me it is not Michigan State........or Arizona........or......insert random P5 school that wasn't good this year.

I think Pokes will be up for this game way more than BYU will be.  The players are taking a very serious approach to this game and Bohl will have them ready.  BYU won't be able to stop Pokes offense.  I look for BYU to simply try to pound the run, which will give them mixed results.  If BYU QB has a really good day and hits his passes and doesn't make mistakes, they'll have a good chance of winning.  But I don't see that happening. 

38 minutes ago, pokerider said:

I think Pokes will be up for this game way more than BYU will be.  The players are taking a very serious approach to this game and Bohl will have them ready.  BYU won't be able to stop Pokes offense.  I look for BYU to simply try to pound the run, which will give them mixed results.  If BYU QB has a really good day and hits his passes and doesn't make mistakes, they'll have a good chance of winning.  But I don't see that happening. 

A lot depends on how the d-line has prepared. They have decent size, but the experience and depth is the issue there.

3 hours ago, fanhood said:

WVU, Utah, and Boise are the only teams that I think could be better than Wyoming. Who would you add to that list? Please tell me it is not Michigan State........or Arizona........or......insert random P5 school that wasn't good this year.

I think Mississippi State is better.  I think the UCLA team we saw at the start of the year is better.  Given that they lost like 13 starters to injury, I can't speak to that now, but the UCLA team we saw in Sept is a better team than Wyoming.  I think Toledo is better.  Utah and WVU are better.  I think Boise beats Wyoming 8 out of 10 times, so I think Boise is better.  So, no, I think you're mistaken that Wyoming is the third best team we've seen this year. Wyoming is benchmarking out as a team in the 60-75 range this year.  BYU is benchmarking out as a 30-40 team this year.  Wyoming has had a nice year and their fans have a lot of reason to be excited, but BYU is not some crap team that is going to get plowed by Wyoming.  Wyoming hasn't blown anyone out this year besides bad teams, and BYU hasn't been blown out by anyone, so it's funny to me that you guys predict these high point totals and 2 TD victories for the Cowboys in a game they are double digit dogs in many computer ratings.

I think Michigan State and Arizona benchmark out similarly to Wyoming.  Massey agrees with me(http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=891&s=286577).  Sagarin agrees with me.  Whine about the computers if you must, but they provide a starting point for comparing teams that haven't played. There's a reason BYU is favored in this game.  You guys act like BYU is some one trick pony that hasn't seen an elite passing attack this year, and all we know how to do is run the ball and trip all over ourselves.  Wyoming's high point totals have come against poor defenses, and BYU has a highly ranked defense this year.  Most teams come out and score a time or two in the first half and BYU shuts them down in the second half while slowly taking over the game.  Bowl games are always a different animal given how little they mean, but hey, BYU has been playing in meaningless games for five years, right? 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

31 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think Mississippi State is better.  I think the UCLA team we saw at the start of the year is better.  Given that they lost like 13 starters to injury, I can't speak to that now, but the UCLA team we saw in Sept is a better team than Wyoming.  I think Toledo is better.  Utah and WVU are better.  I think Boise beats Wyoming 8 out of 10 times, so I think Boise is better.  So, no, I think you're mistaken that Wyoming is the third best team we've seen this year. Wyoming is benchmarking out as a team in the 60-75 range this year.  BYU is benchmarking out as a 30-40 team this year.  Wyoming has had a nice year and their fans have a lot of reason to be excited, but BYU is not some crap team that is going to get plowed by Wyoming.  Wyoming hasn't blown anyone out this year besides bad teams, and BYU hasn't been blown out by anyone, so it's funny to me that you guys predict these high point totals and 2 TD victories for the Cowboys in a game they are double digit dogs in many computer ratings.

I think Michigan State and Arizona benchmark out similarly to Wyoming.  Massey agrees with me(http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=891&s=286577).  Sagarin agrees with me.  Whine about the computers if you must, but they provide a starting point for comparing teams that haven't played. There's a reason BYU is favored in this game.  You guys act like BYU is some one trick pony that hasn't seen an elite passing attack this year, and all we know how to do is run the ball and trip all over ourselves.  Wyoming's high point totals have come against poor defenses, and BYU has a highly ranked defense this year.  Most teams come out and score a time or two in the first half and BYU shuts them down in the second half while slowly taking over the game.  Bowl games are always a different animal given how little they mean, but hey, BYU has been playing in meaningless games for five years, right? 

3a40b6aa02fceabd4919a5dec3b6d478ae47e3d7