Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

It's Your (Not Mine) Fault

Yep. If only you guys had kept Dave Rice, the Rebels would still be relevant, the Aztecs would be undefeated in OOC fresh off a Final Four appearance, and we wouldn't have elected a realty show star as president.

Goddamn you, UNLV.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

This statement below caught my eye.

"Apparently, Kunzer-Murphy takes her orders from three boosters--one of which throws his weight around yet spends very, very little on any UNLV athletic programs directly."

Sounds to me that guy donates big money to the academic side, yet he thinks he knows about athletics.  Their pres better shit or get off the pot.  That cannot continue.  

5 minutes ago, aztech said:

This statement below caught my eye.

"Apparently, Kunzer-Murphy takes her orders from three boosters--one of which throws his weight around yet spends very, very little on any UNLV athletic programs directly."

Sounds to me that guy donates big money to the academic side, yet he thinks he knows about athletics.  Their pres better shit or get off the pot.  That cannot continue.  

The Prez and AD do rely far too heavily on booster advice. The tail is wagging the dog a lot at UNLV.

Don't worry everybody. I got this. I'm going to apply for the AD position when it opens up.  I've got every job I've interviewed for.  Just get me in that room! I vow to use the wisdom and counsel of the MW board when weighing my decisions and I will not take my position as one of the most important people in Las Vegas lightly.  We will make UNLV great again.  Rehhhhhbuuuullllls!

So who is going to step up and replace Jessup?

I didn't even read the article. Don't need to. Couple things...

1.) I can see blaming the fans because they are always sniveling and whining about an aspect of the basketball program. Just in the last decade fans were whining that Kruger can't/wouldn't recruit high end talent to unlv. Enter Rice who did just that, while knocking off ranked teams. Unlv fell short in conference and tourney play, whined about that despite injuries. Now we'll be competing with the likes of SJSU to stay out of the MWC basement while getting blown out by p5 teams and at the same time barely getting past the likes of Southern Utah. 

Problem is that UNLV axed Rice with no regard for a plan to replace him. The three month head start did nothing in the search. 

2.) TKM/Jessup are clowns. Have no clue whatsoever and are directly responsible for the current state of affairs in MBB. 

Sad to watch. 

46 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

1.) I can see blaming the fans because they are always sniveling and whining about an aspect of the basketball program. Just in the last decade fans were whining that Kruger can't/wouldn't recruit high end talent to unlv. Enter Rice who did just that, while knocking off ranked teams. Unlv fell short in conference and tourney play, whined about that despite injuries. Now we'll be competing with the likes of SJSU to stay out of the MWC basement while getting blown out by p5 teams and at the same time barely getting past the likes of Southern Utah. 

Problem is that UNLV axed Rice with no regard for a plan to replace him. The three month head start did nothing in the search. 

2.) TKM/Jessup are clowns. Have no clue whatsoever and are directly responsible for the current state of affairs in MBB. 

Sad to watch. 

Is "snivleing and whining" better than apathy?

Oh sure, the college administrators' dream is fan who show up in droves, just shut up, clap and throw their money at the program no matter what. Problem is, that doesn't exist at any good program anywhere (except maybe Duke or Kansas, I guess?).

3 hours ago, TK_05 said:

too many words to read but surprised to hear a guy who apparently is a "marketer" by trade, blame fans for anything

fans are just consumers. is it the consumers fault a product doesn't sell

That one kills me.  In light of the results of this past election, especially.  What a fatuous argument!

12 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Is "snivleing and whining" better than apathy?

I would say certain fans need to be smarter and put things in perspective rather than wanting changes for instant gratification. The only consistent thing about UNLV (other than the streak) is turmoil. 

48 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I would say certain fans need to be smarter and put things in perspective rather than wanting changes for instant gratification. The only consistent thing about UNLV (other than the streak) is turmoil. 

I guess, but it still comes down to the AD is responsible for hiring/firing, NOT the fans NOR the boosters. What we need is an AD who is "smarter and puts things in perspective" and who has the balls to stand up to the idiots. Fans gonna fan, and most are the same at every school. Too much focus gets puts on these foolish fans. The sole reason that is the case is because we do not have a well-run AD.

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I guess, but it still comes down to the AD is responsible for hiring/firing, NOT the fans NOR the boosters. What we need is an AD who is "smarter and puts things in perspective" and who has the balls to stand up to the idiots. Fans gonna fan, and most are the same at every school. Too much focus gets puts on these foolish fans. The sole reason that is the case is because we do not have a well-run AD.

Right.

You would think the AD is responsible and the buck stops there but with the amount of money being thrown around in the college sports landscape, that's just not possible. Boosters and fans bring revenue to the department. UNLV isn't rolling around in money, obviously the past couple years should show that. 

The problem is TKM doesn't have a clue about leadership....Look, someone has to LEAD for things to get better and TKM doesn't have a phucking clue about that. Someone has to talk (educate, speak on long term vision) to the fans, speak over the dipshits like Ed Graney.  

I'll never forget it, she had no answer when Ed Graney (btw a SDSU hack) asked a question about Rice's job security. This is on a Friday night when the season ended for unlv basketball after playing SDSU in the MWCT. She had no phucking answer and she allowed a phucking circus to ensue immediately. Speculation ran rampant and she undercut Rice with that inaction. 

TKM then had a meeting with Rice and promised Rice he would have another full year but the basketball program needs to make the tourney in order to stay on. TKM didn't honor that, and what did she do with the so called "3 month head start"? Crying to the press that Cronin promised her he would sign at unlv and he reneged? Being upset at Beard for bolting after a week? Memo to TKM, honoring commitments is a two way street. 

Given all that, all she showed is that she is a stooge and YET is rewarded with an 6 month extension and cushy post AD position.  

Only at UNLV. 

10 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

This was nothing more than an amalgamation of Rebel Net “insider” posts from the last twelve months; and until Marvin or another coach starts winning at a good clip, the foreseeable future. 

Agreed.

This "coach Rice was guaranteed a full season and chance to prove he could make a deep run in the tournament" comes out over and over, but I don't know if such a promise was ever made... plus did that squad really look poised to make that deep tourney run?  With the looming threat that resonated after the player's-only meeting that several players were going to bail before the start of the spring semester the third week of January if something didn't change... along with the fact that the spring 2015 Grguruch-led coalition to block the firing of CDR had crumbled.... the timing is more understandable.  "Fans" such as the author of that diatribe would have been jaded over the firing no matter when it happened.

The tragic comedy of TKM decisions over several months did however severely damage the program.  That claim is undeniable.

12 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Right.

You would think the AD is responsible and the buck stops there but with the amount of money being thrown around in the college sports landscape, that's just not possible. Boosters and fans bring revenue to the department. UNLV isn't rolling around in money, obviously the past couple years should show that. 

The problem is TKM doesn't have a clue about leadership....Look, someone has to LEAD for things to get better and TKM doesn't have a phucking clue about that. Someone has to talk (educate, speak on long term vision) to the fans, speak over the dipshits like Ed Graney.  

I'll never forget it, she had no answer when Ed Graney (btw a SDSU hack) asked a question about Rice's job security. This is on a Friday night when the season ended for unlv basketball after playing SDSU in the MWCT. She had no phucking answer and she allowed a phucking circus to ensue immediately. Speculation ran rampant and she undercut Rice with that inaction. 

TKM then had a meeting with Rice and promised Rice he would have another full year but the basketball program needs to make the tourney in order to stay on. TKM didn't honor that, and what did she do with the so called "3 month head start"? Crying to the press that Cronin promised her he would sign at unlv and he reneged? Being upset at Beard for bolting after a week? Memo to TKM, honoring commitments is a two way street. 

Given all that, all she showed is that she is a stooge and YET is rewarded with an 6 month extension and cushy post AD position.  

Only at UNLV. 

Agree on your points about TKM and the lack of leadership. Agree to disagree on the AD's being unable to stand up to boosters. IMO, it's not just possible, but a necessary requirement of the job. It doesn't have to be telling them to go pound sand, but it certainly involves having the ability to influence them towards what is best for the program. But that takes hard work and a firm commitment to a vision for the program. In other words, leadership.

20 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Sad to watch. 

I  have to ask, how can you hold the fans accountable for what is highlighted above? 

Guest RoscoesDad
On 12/13/2016 at 10:33 PM, toonkee said:

He talks about what awesome players Rice had but he fails to mention how terribly he did with them.

He is right about not appreciating Kruger, though.

We had the second best coach in program history and we let him go for less than we tried to pay Mick Cronin.

Short sighted. Sad!

Also, I've never seen someone try to puff themselves up like this.  He wrote this acting like somebody else did.  What a maroon. An accomplished "social media thought leader". That's the dickiest thing I ever heard.

Scott Gulbransen is an accomplished social media, public relations, and digital marketing pro and thought leader. Having managed public relations, social media and digital marketing at brands like Intuit, Applebee’s and H&R Block, and in college athletics. He recently left his role as Global Head of Digital Content at Haymon Boxing, creators of the Premier Boxing Champions series. Gulbransen now is owner/partner in Classic Rock Coffee Co. in Las Vegas, and also serves as the State Director of Communications for AARP Nevada. Gulbransen resides in his adopted hometown of Las Vegas. #BattleBorn

I knew Gully when we were at UNLV in the 90s.  I used to like this guy.  He used to be reasonable and objective.

Then Rice game into the picture and he went full on retard with the rest of the Rebelnet crew.

He wrote this article because he is projecting his own obnoxious behavior during the Rice regime as being the other half of the fanbase's fault.  Because he knows deep down that he was part of a group of fans/boosters that chose Dave Rice over UNLV.  If Dave Rice didn't work out, they were done with UNLV.  Yet here they still are, taking pot shots.

I am glad he thinks the program is dead.  I hope that pushes him and others like him to go away.  And never return. 

Guest RoscoesDad
2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Agree on your points about TKM and the lack of leadership. Agree to disagree on the AD's being unable to stand up to boosters. IMO, it's not just possible, but a necessary requirement of the job. It doesn't have to be telling them to go pound sand, but it certainly involves having the ability to influence them towards what is best for the program. But that takes hard work and a firm commitment to a vision for the program. In other words, leadership.

TKM never had complete autonomy in her job and that's what led to the BB hire cluster.  What happens in any business scenario when you allow a bunch of hands in the pot?  Typically a disaster. People can blame her, but the reality is the BB hire screw up has many dirty hands in the pot, not just hers.  She's done probably the best job in fundraising for UNLV that any recent AD has done, as well as doing a total bang up job on recent coaching hires in womens and olympic sports.  Outside of the big 3 sports, UNLV is about as good or better as it has ever been.  And that does sort of matter since the athletic dept is bigger than just 2-3 sports.  With that said, I agree that she is probably better positioned as a assistant AD or RAF fundraising role.  We need a real professional AD with P5 experience if we want to get to that level.  We almost had Bill Moos instead of Hurricane Livengood, thanks Oregon!

You can have blaymeir, at first I thought he was a bronco plant but then I thought he was just stoopid (with the DC hire) , but now I know it's dementia for sure with this latest hire. This should be the final nail the SJSU coffin. It looks like so many on here will finally get their wish soon (SJSU dropping to FCs.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:07 AM, SharkTanked said:

That's exactly what I said in terms of leadership.

TKM is a bundler, it's what she did for the LV Bowl and what she's doing at UNLV. Aside from a large Fertitta donation for the new FB facility which should be credited to Sanchez not TKM, she's not doing a very good job in that area.  There's no direction or vision of the Department whatsoever and she let the money make the decisions.

Simply because unlv doesn't have a lot of it. 

On 12/15/2016 at 9:24 AM, Poster17 said:

I  have to ask, how can you hold the fans accountable for what is highlighted above? 

They are the ones that impatient and Vegas has some of the worst sportswriters that like to feed into that impatience. Kruger and Rice had about 260 wins combined over the years and they both got ran out in succession...in part by fans.