Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

It's Your (Not Mine) Fault

Does last years vegas team get beat by 50 to Duke.  I don't think so.  We will see how long it will take Menzies to recruit a couple of classes that can Even be on the same floor as Duke.  

From an outsiders point of view this all falls on your prez.  Your athletic department is very poorly ran.  Blaming fans is pretty dumb. 

Pretty good write up of the inbred incompetence that surrounds UNLV & the BB program

I also add that this guy was pretty active on Rebel-Net and his ire at the "fans" could stem from the Rebel-Net crowd's idiotic stances on pretty much every coach since Tark 

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Does last years vegas team get beat by 50 to Duke.  I don't think so.  We will see how long it will take Menzies to recruit a couple of classes that can Even be on the same floor as Duke.  

From an outsiders point of view this all falls on your prez.  Your athletic department is very poorly ran.  Blaming fans is pretty dumb. 

I just don't see that happening.  UNLV needed someone that IS UNLV to sell the brand.  Menzies will only be able to sell NMST dressed as UNLV...and that isn't going to turn the clock back 25 years.

He talks about what awesome players Rice had but he fails to mention how terribly he did with them.

He is right about not appreciating Kruger, though.

We had the second best coach in program history and we let him go for less than we tried to pay Mick Cronin.

Short sighted. Sad!

Also, I've never seen someone try to puff themselves up like this.  He wrote this acting like somebody else did.  What a maroon. An accomplished "social media thought leader". That's the dickiest thing I ever heard.

Scott Gulbransen is an accomplished social media, public relations, and digital marketing pro and thought leader. Having managed public relations, social media and digital marketing at brands like Intuit, Applebee’s and H&R Block, and in college athletics. He recently left his role as Global Head of Digital Content at Haymon Boxing, creators of the Premier Boxing Champions series. Gulbransen now is owner/partner in Classic Rock Coffee Co. in Las Vegas, and also serves as the State Director of Communications for AARP Nevada. Gulbransen resides in his adopted hometown of Las Vegas. #BattleBorn

My theory is TKM was hired only to raise money for the programs. That she has done and it has helped football at least. But that is all she can do. The reason why we fail is that our Presidents have put incompetent people at the helm of AD. It is obvious with the Rice situation that either TKM couldn't stand the pressure of boosters or that Jessup made the decision for her. If it were the latter, I feel a competent AD would push against that bad decision. I won't even put this blame on the TKM. I won't put it on Livengood. I will put it on the presidents that have hired them and have made a toxic climate for everyone involved. 

Jessup has time to make things right. I am hoping he knows what he is doing on keeping TKM until May and does a real national search to find the right AD.

5 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Pretty good write up of the inbred incompetence that surrounds UNLV & the BB program

I also add that this guy was pretty active on Rebel-Net and his ire at the "fans" could stem from the Rebel-Net crowd's idiotic stances on pretty much every coach since Tark 

He sounds very bitter over the firing of Dave Rice. 

But I guess it took the humiliating loss to Duke for him to realize that we are now in the early stages of a major rebuild.

He also rehashes the perception that Lon Kruger was run out of town.  He blames boosters for not coming up with the cash to top Oklahoma's $16.9M offer.

Ph.... 

Reads article.... 

Sees Rice's name......

Reads on, smiles and nods in agreement about how none of this is Rice's fault....

Becomes aroused.....

Reads article again while simultaneously crying and pleasuring himself..... 

Gets to last bit vindicating poor ol' Dave...

... cums.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

I'm so sick of people blaming fans for everything. The fans don't make these decisions. The administration does. The Prez and AD do. The BOR does (by hiring the Prez and confirming the AD).

Hell the fans who are still left should be praised for having endured the shit show that has been UNLV athletics for the last 2 decades and still doing what they can to support the school in spite of itself. Instead they get blamed by those unwilling to point the finger where it truly belongs.

I heard the same rant about the fans from Mike Prichard during the last epic beatdown of UNLV football. So misguided. I really wish the fans would've called in and put him in his place.

If anything, the school should be apologizing to the fans. But no fans are just supposed to be opinionless drones, clapping all the time, never showing displeasure, never leaving early and just throwing money at incompetence.

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If UNLV was serious about basketball they would have found the money to make themselves more attractive to Petino, Dixon or Cronin. True neither really wanted to come to UNLV but if the money was there they would have. Both coaches (Louisville and Cincinnati) will be leading their teams to the dance again this year and Louisville may be final 4 material. UNLV will struggle to have a winning record. We all know that UNLV can do better but not with their current AD and President or current Coach. Their donors also must step up. Blaming the fans is more than a little lame.

Damn right I wanted Rice gone.  9 loses in the T&M in 2013.  6 in 2014.  Losing conference records and 7th place finishes the last two years with top 10 recruiting classes.  How could we let such a great coach go????  SMH....

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

If UNLV was serious about basketball they would have found the money to make themselves more attractive to Petino, Dixon or Cronin. True neither really wanted to come to UNLV but if the money was there they would have. Both coaches (Louisville and Cincinnati) will be leading their teams to the dance again this year and Louisville may be final 4 material. UNLV will struggle to have a winning record. We all know that UNLV can do better but not with their current AD and President or current Coach. Their donors also must step up. Blaming the fans is more than a little lame.

It's more than just the money. Our Administration is a clown show and the word is out on that.

Let's not throw the book at Menzies yet. While he may not be our first choice, he does have a great personality, Final Four experience as an assistant, and a proven ability to recruit even in the worst of situations. While the circumstances of his hiring is a blemish on this university, he is the coach and he has resources now to make this program successful. Even with this being an obvious down year, Menzies has impressed me with the ability to put this rag tag team together with two fringe four stars, a few three stars, and JC/Grad Transfer players. Not only to put the roster together, but to understand the balance needed to ensure he can have balanced recruiting classes as he gets on the trail in the coming years. Menzies is no dummy and it appears he understands what needs to be done to rebuild this program.

I was one of the people that sent emails to TKM saying not to hire Menzies after the Beard situation. Now I wish he was hired to begin with to better align this team.

The one thing in the article that I really agree with is that firing a coach in the middle of the season is just a bad idea. The thought that it somehow gives you a head start on your search is ridiculous. All of the coaches any team is going to be interested in are very busy with their current teams and aren't really in any position to consider making a change at that time. Any work that could be done behind the scene, can also be done if you just ride out the season with your current coach.

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Interesting article.  Bashes the fans, then declares that the poor support from the fans is the reason he is no longer a fan.

OK  :blink:

Bingo. This is the guy who needs to look in the mirror. Not the rest of the fans still supporting the program.

15 hours ago, ph90702 said:

So it is the fans fault Rebel Nets favorite AD Jim Livingood didn’t lift a finger to put together a package to try and prevent Lon Kruger from leaving (he was willing to stay)  

So it is the fans fault that instead of trying to build off Kruger’s success and hold a national search to hire a proven coach, Livingood focused in immediately on a coach than neither Bradley nor UC Riverside was interested in

So it is the fans fault Rice lost to two significantly lower seeded opponents in the NCAA tournament

So it is the fans fault Rice, despite having more on paper talent than any other MWC program over his final three seasons and change, managed to go 28-27 in an average to mediocre conference

So it is the fans fault Rice could never manage to finish higher than third in the MWC regular season

So it is the fans fault despite having one stellar recruiting class after another Rice missed any post season play his last two full seasons, and had he stayed and finished his fifth season it would have been three in a row 

So it is the fans fault Rice’s record regressed every season he was UNLV head coach 

So tired of reading from people who were teenagers or barely born comparing what happened to Rice to what happened with Jerry, not remotely the same situation  

What a waste of my time this article was.  This was nothing more than an amalgamation of Rebel Net “insider” posts from the last twelve months; and until Marvin or another coach starts winning at a good clip, the foreseeable future.