Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Duke at UNLV - T Mobile Arena

48 minutes ago, bigd said:

Nevada has had both Kansas and North Carolina play in Reno. Once we start winning again, I'm sure we'll attract some more big names.

David Padgett started off at Kansas, and it was probably a ploy to get him to go there.  Same thing with North Carolina.  Roy Williams likes to schedule road games where his players are from.

Just now, LakersGM1 said:

We beat Arizona a couple years ago. 

yes, you're right, and then we went on to finish 7th...ugh.

it was hard to watch that yesterday, especially since i'm able to remember blowing them out by 30. we used to be as good as they are, but those days are long gone. time to get over it, i guess, it is what it is.

12 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

If you read a few posts in this thread a lot of Rebel fans are in some serious denial about the state of this basketball program. 

The state of your program is indeed bad; however, the good thing about basketball is you can turn around a program quicker than any other sport.  The biggest problem I see is the administration, but Rice proved you can still recruit to LV.  You just need a good coach who can recruit AND coach up the players.  You might have it in Menzies, you might not.  I'm personally skeptical.  If your administration gets their shit together though and makes a good hire and shows proper support for the program, UNLV can turn it around very quickly.  

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

it was hard to watch that yesterday, especially since i'm able to remember blowing them out by 30. we used to be as good as they are, but those days are long gone. time to get over it, i guess, it is what it is.

I'm hoping this sentiment only holds for this year & maybe next.........UNLV should be more competitive with top programs than 40 point guttings.

Will UNLV ever get to where Duke is, odds are probably long on any sustained time at that level - but UNLV should be able to get back to where the program was from 1981-1986 - solid teams, generally ranked and a win or two in the NCAA's - i.e match Gonzaga's consistent level.........then anything more is gravy just like it was under Tark 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Give Menzies some slack. Dave Rice came into one of the best situations possible by having an almost entire returning team of solid players and an elite transfer in Mike Moser that had practiced with the team the previous year. Menzies came in with three returning players, one of which hardly had any minutes last year. You have an entire team of players that are playing out of position and do not know their role. No point guard, no trusted big, and no one that has been tested. For most of these guys, the first game against South Alabama was the highest level of competition they had ever faced. To put it plainly, this year, especially out of conference play, is a wash. It was always going to be a wash. No coach could have made this any better given the circumstances.

Starting conference play and beyond is where we can start evaluating this team. We will still be abused in conference, but with how down the talent level is, UNLV has as good of a chance to finish top seven as anyone else. It will be a time to develop our potential. But we are still not going to win.

I am excited to see what Marvin can do with Dembele and Troy Baxter over the years. We are three years away from being competitive. But we will get there.

Obviously the Rebs were so outclassed in the talent department yesterday that there was no contest, however I think the team played hard and I appreciated it.  Dwayne Morgan may not lead us to a championship (heavy sarcasm) but he's very loyal to the program and wants to be a part of it's legacy. Troy Baxter played really hard. Uche is a "pro" in that he brings his lunchpail and plays hard every night.  I just want us to not turn our backs completely on these guys. I just don't want them to start pointing fingers through the rest of these beat downs.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

David Padgett started off at Kansas, and it was probably a ploy to get him to go there.  Same thing with North Carolina.  Roy Williams likes to schedule road games where his players are from.

We didn't have an locals playing for North Carolina when they came. 

56 minutes ago, LakersGM1 said:

Give Menzies some slack. Dave Rice came into one of the best situations possible by having an almost entire returning team of solid players and an elite transfer in Mike Moser that had practiced with the team the previous year. Menzies came in with three returning players, one of which hardly had any minutes last year. You have an entire team of players that are playing out of position and do not know their role. No point guard, no trusted big, and no one that has been tested. For most of these guys, the first game against South Alabama was the highest level of competition they had ever faced. To put it plainly, this year, especially out of conference play, is a wash. It was always going to be a wash. No coach could have made this any better given the circumstances.

Starting conference play and beyond is where we can start evaluating this team. We will still be abused in conference, but with how down the talent level is, UNLV has as good of a chance to finish top seven as anyone else. It will be a time to develop our potential. But we are still not going to win.

I am excited to see what Marvin can do with Dembele and Troy Baxter over the years. We are three years away from being competitive. But we will get there.

with all due respect, i don't think i have said anything close to blaming menzies? ever. i really don't even blame rice, he was clearly in way over his head and should never have been hired in the first place. i can't blame him for applying and wanting to coach at unlv, especially with the players he had coming in. i frickin hate livengood, that putz had his mind up before kruger even left. i think he blew kruger off just so that he could get his guy in there.

but as for marvin, i think he did a great job to get the players he did, and in no way were we going to compete with duke, kansas, etc. it WILL take a few years, especially with how the admin/coaching (beard) left the cupboard so bare. what you might have misunderstood in the post from which you quoted me, is this... i am old enough to have lived through all the ups and downs of this program, and yes, remember the days when we could compete with anyone. i was thinking yesterday as i was sitting there in the t-mobile, that i missed the excitement and thrill of having a great team like some of those we have had in the past. that is what has saddened me, that our program was as obliterated as it was when marvin took over. he might have been #47 on my list, but he has my full support (as does any new coach) and i don't think it will take long for him to get the rebs to finish higher in the MW than 7th at some point in the next few years. and that is sad as well, that we even think along those lines now. but, again, it is what it is, and i will be there regardless...better days are ahead.

56 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Obviously the Rebs were so outclassed in the talent department yesterday that there was no contest, however I think the team played hard and I appreciated it.  Dwayne Morgan may not lead us to a championship (heavy sarcasm) but he's very loyal to the program and wants to be a part of it's legacy. Troy Baxter played really hard. Uche is a "pro" in that he brings his lunchpail and plays hard every night.  I just want us to not turn our backs completely on these guys. I just don't want them to start pointing fingers through the rest of these beat downs.

they DID play hard, and put in the effort. i was glad to see it even while getting the beatdown they took. most of these kids are just so raw, and with never playing with each other it will likely take all year for them to get used to each other, and playing at the D1 level. As long as they are putting in the effort i am fine with it, that was the one thing i couldn't tolerate with chris wood. play hard or go home.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

1 hour ago, bigd said:

We didn't have an locals playing for North Carolina when they came. 

Either time. The Tarheels have come twice. Once with Dean Smith and once with Williams. I believe the Wolf Pack played there once.

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Either time. The Tarheels have come twice. Once with Dean Smith and once with Williams. I believe the Wolf Pack played there once.

This last time around we did a 2-for-1, same with Kansas.

41 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

There we go.  You got a two for one.  I knew something was up.

They've played 5 times since 1987. The first series was a one for one with Dean Smith. The second a 2-1 with Williams. Carolina is 5 and 0.

Nevada has also played Kansas 5 times, twice in Reno. Nevada is 2-3 against the Jayhawks including a win at Allen Fieldhouse in 2005.

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

The state of your program is indeed bad; however, the good thing about basketball is you can turn around a program quicker than any other sport.  The biggest problem I see is the administration, but Rice proved you can still recruit to LV.  You just need a good coach who can recruit AND coach up the players.  You might have it in Menzies, you might not.  I'm personally skeptical.  If your administration gets their shit together though and makes a good hire and shows proper support for the program, UNLV can turn it around very quickly.  

We've had incompetent administrators for  some time. I do not see a quick turnaround anytime soon and I'm not sure UNLV is capable of hiring competent administrators to oversee the athletics department. 

Let me remind you that it was 10-11 months ago Rebel fans were giddy over the Rick Pitino rumors, then it was luring Mick Cronin over for big money, then it was Beard who stayed for a week and bailed, and unlv settled on Menzies. So how the hell does unlv go from Pitino to Menzies? That's quite a dropoff in terms of money and coaching. You would think if there was any validity to the Pitino rumors, they would have hired a decent coach.

They had time, 3 month head start to find a good coach and all that did was allow the players to map out their futures away from unlv. As a result that left the cupboard bare. 

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski

“Our guys played really well today. What a great crowd. An honor to be here. I’ve been in Vegas a lot with the U.S. team, and actually played in the arena with our U.S. team during the summer. It’s a beautiful, beautiful place. To see this crowd for this game was tremendous. We prepared well. We prepared to try to beat a really good team.”

On showing Duke’s 1991 national semifinal victory over UNLV on the flight to Las Vegas: “We actually set up the game, not with commercials, just for them to get the flavor of a high-level game — none of them were alive when the game was played and to let them know they were going into a game where we’re playing against a very proud opponent that has accomplished a lot.”

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

well, if the rebs could somehow pull out a win at oregon it would greatly help their confidence, lol. oregon isn't looking good today, alabama might end up beating them before it's all said and done.

Aside from UCLA & Arizona at times the PAC12 not looking overly fantastic 

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski

“Our guys played really well today. What a great crowd. An honor to be here. I’ve been in Vegas a lot with the U.S. team, and actually played in the arena with our U.S. team during the summer. It’s a beautiful, beautiful place. To see this crowd for this game was tremendous. We prepared well. We prepared to try to beat a really good team.”

On showing Duke’s 1991 national semifinal victory over UNLV on the flight to Las Vegas: “We actually set up the game, not with commercials, just for them to get the flavor of a high-level game — none of them were alive when the game was played and to let them know they were going into a game where we’re playing against a very proud opponent that has accomplished a lot.”

Coach K is living in the past.  That was ancient history.  The reality today is we are a mediocre program in a mediocre conference.  We have the facilities of a top tier program but, the administration with the brains of a third world shithole. 

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Aside from UCLA & Arizona at times the PAC12 not looking overly fantastic 

dorsey is heating up. oregon's a good team, just not as good as duke. well, duke when grayson allen is playing. :o

6 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Coach K is living in the past.  That was ancient history.  The reality today is we are a mediocre program in a mediocre conference.  We have the facilities of a top tier program but, the administration with the brains of a third world shithole. 

i'm sure he was just trying to make sure his guys didn't sleepwalk through the game. and he was being kind as far as unlv is concerned. we WERE a proud program that has suffered through bad admin back to maxson. no mystery as to why we're in the position we're in. we HAVE to hire a search firm to find a real AD, and a good one, at that. if we promote from within again our athletics are toast.